Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 21:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Thanks wanderernomad and Jeroen, I think i would leave it for inspecting of the wiring. One thing noticed was that if i go into a pothole (rather jump into it) the glowing CEL goes off for some time and then comes back after sometime.
Just another thought. Check underneath your engine on the left side i.e the co driver side. Do you have a low slung sedimenter with a plug and a wire plug coming out of it from the bottom? There would be a cut in the underbody plastic cladding that goes for the engine protection. If yes, then there lies your culprit. Check chances are the wires have got broken at the bend.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 11:02   #47
BHPian

Thanks wanderernomad, i would check that.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:58   #48
BHPian

So after driving the car for another day. I feel that there is a tad difference in the cold starting of the car in the morning. The battery is new and as per the efficiency it should be doing without any lag ( that was how before the CEL started coming on).

Can this be due the glow plug issue? I am giving it for repair on Monday, if i get some information before that it would help me clear the issue by suggesting the same to the SA.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So after driving the car for another day. I feel that there is a tad difference in the cold starting of the car in the morning. The battery is new and as per the efficiency it should be doing without any lag ( that was how before the CEL started coming on).

Can this be due the glow plug issue? I am giving it for repair on Monday, if i get some information before that it would help me clear the issue by suggesting the same to the SA.
Cold start can be either due to the Glow Plug or a clogged injector. Just be advised that do not follow what ever the advisor says unless you are convinced with his words.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:22   #50
BHPian

If its the fuel injector would the CEL change with the increase and decrease in speed?
Old 27th September 2013, 19:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its the fuel injector would the CEL change with the increase and decrease in speed?
Theoretically it would, as with extra speed the flow of fuel would be faster and would negate any small clogging but with lesser speed the fuel going in would be less and hence the restriction would be felt more.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Theoretically it would, as with extra speed the flow of fuel would be faster and would negate any small clogging but with lesser speed the fuel going in would be less and hence the restriction would be felt more.
Do you suggest that i take the vehicle to a Fuel Service Center before i go and leave it at the TASC. Is it worth the try, since the vehicle is in its 4th year of running.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

No I would suggest go to the TASS and get the error code checked if there was one. If not then just come back and use System D for a while and see if the CEL comes on again or not. If it still does then check for further solutions. While you are the TASS ask them to lift it up and see the plug for the sedimenter for any loose or cut wires.
Old 28th September 2013, 17:01   #54
BHPian

Wanderernomad, thanks for the suggestion. I would do that and let you all know where the problem was.
Old 19th October 2013, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Phew, finally I went to the Fiat Balaji Shop at Thane and got my Linea checked for the CEL light that had come on.

The error codes that came up were:
P0300
P0304

The technician advised me that it may be due to several reasons, one of which may be that I had been driving in the rain and the oxygen sensor took a faulty reading which caused the car to malfunction. (Damn, missing the carburetor days)

Further, since the problem has not occurred again the technician advised to continue driving as before. However, if the problem occurs again and the same error codes are shown they may have to check / change the oxygen sensor, spark plug, spark plug wire as and where the fault may be!

Checked the same immediately online and got similar views.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0304
Old 20th October 2013, 11:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Phew, finally I went to the Fiat Balaji Shop at Thane and got my Linea checked for the CEL light that had come on.

The error codes that came up were:
P0300
P0304

The technician advised me that it may be due to several reasons, one of which may be that I had been driving in the rain and the oxygen sensor took a faulty reading which caused the car to malfunction. (Damn, missing the carburetor days)

Further, since the problem has not occurred again the technician advised to continue driving as before. However, if the problem occurs again and the same error codes are shown they may have to check / change the oxygen sensor, spark plug, spark plug wire as and where the fault may be!
Well, at least we're getting somewhere now. I agree with the above. Not too sure about the rain and the oxygen sensor. The only way I can think of of the being correlated would be if the sensor wiring was faulty and the wet caused it to short circuit somehow.

Still, looks like you have nothing to worry about for now. And when it does show up again, at least you know where to start looking. I would always start with the very simple things which are easy to inspect and replace or swap. Spark plug, HT leads, distributor etc. A good visual inspection might go a long way. Swapping out the oxygen sensor would be my last resort, try to rule out all the other stuff first, because it's easy and cheap. Oxygen sensors tend to be more expensive and on some cars, don't know on yours, can be a real bugger to get at.

Jeroen
Old 20th October 2013, 13:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
......Not too sure about the rain and the oxygen sensor......
I just think it would have something to do with rain because both the times that the light came on I had been driving thorough some very heavy rain and waterlogged areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A good visual inspection might go a long way. Swapping out the oxygen sensor would be my last resort, try to rule out all the other stuff first, because it's easy and cheap. Oxygen sensors tend to be more expensive and on some cars, don't know on yours, can be a real bugger to get at.
Thanks and exactly what the technician said. He checked the leads and advised getting anything changed only if the same error codes come up or driving becomes difficult. None of which is happening or has happened since. So fingers crossed!
Old 27th October 2013, 16:15   #58
BHPian

My Marina DiCOR also has developed this problem of CEL coming on about 3 weeks ago. The engine begins to lose pickup in 5th gear, I can see black smoke coming out and then engine goes super silent. Then the CEL comes on. When I switch off the engine and restart, the CEL goes away.

Went to TASS and they found the car had a faulty Vacuum Modulator which controls the EGRS and air intake.

After the fix, drove about 1200kms and again the problem reappeared. This time got the wiring all checked and also fixed some rat chewed wire parts. The car ran for about 100kms and again same issue.

TASS has written to TML to seek guidance. Next week few folks are coming from Pune to check my car. Hope they can diagnose and rectify the problem.

Has anyone considered changing the engine itself in a car? What is the impact - legally I think I need to get the RC book updated with the new engine number. But otherwise any problems/risks? Any thoughts?
Old 27th October 2013, 18:40   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
TASS has written to TML to seek guidance. Next week few folks are coming from Pune to check my car. Hope they can diagnose and rectify the problem.
How old is the car and how many kms clocked till date? I have feel the ECU also needs a check and the sensors on the engine. I am happy TASS is coming to check your car and try to solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Has anyone considered changing the engine itself in a car? What is the impact - legally I think I need to get the RC book updated with the new engine number. But otherwise any problems/risks? Any thoughts?
After numerous trials the CEL re-appears then may be the engine or the ECU needs to be replaced.

You need to get the engine number updated in the RC book post the changeover, other than this no legal issues.

Anurag.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:07   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How old is the car and how many kms clocked till date? I have feel the ECU also needs a check and the sensors on the engine. I am happy TASS is coming to check your car and try to solve the issue.
Out of curiousity, how do you check an ECU other then hooking it up to an OBD analyser. Are you suggesting it needs to be tested standalone on a test rig?

[quote=a4anurag;3277010]
After numerous trials the CEL re-appears then may be the engine or the ECU needs to be replaced.
QUOTE]

No offense, but replacing an engine and even the ECU because of CEL seems a bit drastic to me. In my experience ECU rarely fail, its nearly always a sensor or some wiring problem. So even if you replace the ECU and the engine for that matter and nothing else, you might still find yourself with the exact same problem.

So the solution is finding the fault / root cause of the CEL. That means you need to find a mechanic that has access to an advanced, brand/type specific OBD analyzer and who is proficient in this sort of trouble shooting. In all honesty, even in Europe and the USA few car mechanics are, exceptions of course. Most car mechanics are not necessarily very good diagnosticians on electronics. So you really need to find someone who has the tools and the competence to check this out.

It is likely to be somethign very simple, but it might be a real bugger to find it.

Jeroen

Most Viewed