Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.6 stalling problem

Guys, I am having a very annoying problem with my ford ikon 1.6 sxi but I am even more frustrated because I have done everything I could. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

After every half hour to two hours of driving my car used to go off with sudden jolts (vibrations). Then when I used to turn the ignition the car used to start and with shakes and shudders again the engine used to go off. After waiting for 2-3 mins without trying to turn on the car (on the road in the middle of the traffic and being abused by the passers by all the time) when i used to give ignition again everything seemed to be normal. And then again same problem after an hour or two.

I showed the car to ford workshop and was adviced to get the fuel filter changed together with new air filter. I got them changed instantly.
But to my surprise the problem came back again. Got spark plugs changed this time. The car was ok for two weeks or so and again same problem. This time got the ignition coil changed too. And to my surprise rather bad luck, it has been only a month since this change and the problem has come back again. Help me guys, what should I do now, I have been in the most awkward situation of my life because of this, me and my wife got surrounded by agitated truckwalas in the middle of the night on Jaipur-Delhi highway as I do a lot of night travels and the trucks were in hurry and my car stopped and caused a big jam on the highway. Desperately need your help. My car has done 58k now and the problem started at 45k and has completely ruined my driving experience of the josh machine. HELP. Its scary to drive it in traffic now.
Old 18th July 2008, 00:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Guys, I am having a very annoying problem with my ford ikon 1.6 sxi but I am even more frustrated because I have done everything I could. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

After every half hour to two hours of driving my car used to go off with sudden jolts (vibrations). Then when I used to turn the ignition the car used to start and with shakes and shudders again the engine used to go off. After waiting for 2-3 mins without trying to turn on the car (on the road in the middle of the traffic and being abused by the passers by all the time) when i used to give ignition again everything seemed to be normal. And then again same problem after an hour or two.

I showed the car to ford workshop and was adviced to get the fuel filter changed together with new air filter. I got them changed instantly.
But to my surprise the problem came back again. Got spark plugs changed this time. The car was ok for two weeks or so and again same problem. This time got the ignition coil changed too. And to my surprise rather bad luck, it has been only a month since this change and the problem has come back again. Help me guys, what should I do now, I have been in the most awkward situation of my life because of this, me and my wife got surrounded by agitated truckwalas in the middle of the night on Jaipur-Delhi highway as I do a lot of night travels and the trucks were in hurry and my car stopped and caused a big jam on the highway. Desperately need your help. My car has done 58k now and the problem started at 45k and has completely ruined my driving experience of the josh machine. HELP. Its scary to drive it in traffic now.
First thing is get this car checked with a diagnostic computer at a good authorized service center. There is any number of electronic / sensor related issue that can cause this.

You should stand right next to the tech and make sure that he does all of the diagnostic tests. Give him a Rs.100 note if you need to motivate him.
Old 18th July 2008, 01:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go to another place to get the things checked. Maybe the people are just fooling around.
Also you can get things checked by a local mechanic. ( they know quite a lot)
Old 18th July 2008, 01:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Go to another place to get the things checked. Maybe the people are just fooling around.
Also you can get things checked by a local mechanic. ( they know quite a lot)
Umm local mech's know a lot about maruti. NOT FORD. They may screw it up even more.

This is a really wierd problem. Could be an ECU related problem too. Look like if your car runs for an hour continusly it heats up something which causes this reaction. Check your fuse box too. Possibly battery faulter too.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2008, 02:42   #5
BHPian

Have the fuel pump checked also.
Old 18th July 2008, 04:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why do I get the feeling that the engine is seizing up??
Old 18th July 2008, 10:31   #7
BHPian

i would agree with "redmm340" get a high scan done for any error codes stored & let us know.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Probably it is getting heated up. Finding the reason could solve this problem.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Exactly simlar problem I had with Palio 1.2, and Tried the following
1.Changed Spark Plugs
2.Changed 2 no.s Injectors
3.Changed Fuel Filter
4.Changed Air filter
After which the car seemed to run fine for a day,and lo.. the missing resurfaced again.
Then they resorted to the following
3.Changed the fuel pump
4.Changed the Ignition cables
Still no improvement.
Finally the problem was solved by changing the ignition coils.Now it runs silky smooth, absolutely no jerks or misfirings.

In your case also i feel the problem should be purely electrical,and specifically related to the ignition system . Hence pls check all the electrical cables,connections and contacts in the ignition harness for soundness before attempting to replace other costly components. Check for Residual water/impurities in contact points.Try again with a different set of Ignition coils.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:12   #10
BHPian

I had a similar experience with my Ikon : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/907070-post76.html . The vehicle would start vibrating . knocking, and this was evendent when i switched on the A/C.

First we tried changed all the spark plug, it didnt help. Next we changed Ignition coil and the issue disappeared.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
First we tried changed all the spark plug, it didnt help. Next we changed Ignition coil and the issue disappeared.
Guys, i think he has already changed the ignition coil. Like i said before check for overheating, check your coolant level in the radiator & the overflow tank. Make sure it is coolant & not water.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:46   #12
BHPian

I had a similar problem in my old Maruti 800. The radiator fan was not working and hence over heating. Check if the radiator fan is working properly.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post

But to my surprise the problem came back again. Got spark plugs changed this time. The car was ok for two weeks or so and again same problem. This time got the ignition coil changed too. And to my surprise rather bad luck, it has been only a month since this change and the problem has come back again.
HELP. Its scary to drive it in traffic now.
Reading the issue, Fuel Pump is the only culprit that comes to my mind.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:57   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have you noticed the temperature going into red? Its got to be either an overheating issue or the fuel pump itself. And Ikon's are notorious for eating fuel pumps once ever so often.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:57   #15
BHPian

My friend's Ikon 1.6 (from the first batch) had engine heating issues. Cauvery Ford (Bangalore) did "EVERYTHING" as they claimed.....and finally the engine blew up one night on the way to Chennai. The issue was later tracked to a blocked coolant pipe (Chennai Ford's finding). The pipe (which is supposed to have been flushed during regular service) had developed scales inside eventually blocking it.

Most Viewed