Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 15:50   #1
BHPian

Swift - Valve Adjust and Gear Shift Assembly Issue

I have a VXi and engine runs really rough - part of it has to do with the fact that the engine itself is from 1980s - hence unrefined.

Also the gear shift is not smooth and moves too tight.

I have chased Mandovi for last 1 year and all they did for so called "FREE" servicing is fill up the water for wiper fluid.

I can fix my car myself, and do a good job, as I have ownerswhip experience with Honda/Toyota in the past. But i dont really have the tools or time do this anymore.

Mandovi tried to resolve the gear shift issue by lubricating the manual shifter area inside the center console. HOW can i break my head and explain them that the problem lies with the transmission shifter itself and not the manual shifter!!!??? These guys just dont get it!!! They try to prove me that the Earth is flat!

The shift assembly marked in red needs to be pulled out and lubricated correctly.
Also - can anyone recommend me who can do Accurate Valve clearance settings in Bangalore?

And how much approximate do they charge for the things that i mentioned above - like Gear Shaft removal and lubrication, Valve Setting and Injector cleaning ?

Thats what i call Servicing - not their usual crap of filling up wiper fluid!
Old 20th July 2008, 00:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK this 1.3 esteem motor is quite refined and easily tunable to do wonders for you.

If your gear change is not smooth first check the clutch setting. its should be the first check list.

BTW what does the oddo say in your swift.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think that the gear shift problem is becasue of some bush set.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
AFAIK this 1.3 esteem motor is quite refined and easily tunable to do wonders for you.

If your gear change is not smooth first check the clutch setting. its should be the first check list.

BTW what does the oddo say in your swift.
Try driving a Honda or even a Toyota (in or out of India) - you will know what "refined" means.

If you read carefully, I am not talking about the way gears shift.
I am talking about the way the the Shifter cable moves. It is tight.
Hence - nothing to do with cluth. The Select Shaft assembly needs to be lubricated correctly. [Transmission Oil already changed]

I am not really asking for technical suggestions - because I know i will get superstitious try-spit-throw-try-again type suggestions.

What i want to know is where i can do Valve Adjustments and Transmission Settings in Bangalore? Hell, i searched and even the Valve Specs for G13B are not available anywhere!

I am sure there are many Swift owners who have same issues - but they may not even realize this as a problem - because it may be their first car or they have not have owned other good cars - so they assume this is normal and cool.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:32   #5
BHPian

Anyone in BLR who knows good place for this?
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Hi,

Try with suraksha Bommanahalli branch, & meet mr. Lokesh. [quote my name & forum, if you are visitng their on friday ask for abhinandan] explain both of them to do what u want, if you get the results, i will be the next person to have smooth shifting of gear's..
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Can I ask another question? How did you manage to develop this sorta understanding of cars? Most of us are like sit and drive junta few here who would've isolated things like you are mentioining!!

I do realize understanding cars is important to get things perfectly done, unlike what AS.S dish out so any pointers?
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:37   #8
BHPian

Hi,

you could contact Mr. Sanjay from Racedynamics. He has been doing rally cars from scratch and has been blueprinting suzuki (all models) engines from like ages.
He might or might not do the work for you as Racedynamics is purely into performance building and custom work. But if he doesn't do it, he will recommend you to a place which would do your job in the best possible way.
Cheers
Shrey
Quote:

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 23rd July 2008 at 17:42.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
OT:
Can I ask another question? How did you manage to develop this sorta understanding of cars? Most of us are like sit and drive junta few here who would've isolated things like you are mentioining!!

I do realize understanding cars is important to get things perfectly done, unlike what AS.S dish out so any pointers?
I am not an expert. It is just a hobby.
I use to have old toyota and a honda from 1990s. Things break when cars get old - so just learned from experience. Suzuki-honda-toyota all share simialar style engineering.

I searched on Google everywhere about the specs for G13B Valves and they are not available. The ones that i found are for 8V SOHC engine.

Ours is 16V engine - no proof that specs are same
Old 24th July 2008, 17:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I searched on Google everywhere about the specs for G13B Valves and they are not available. The ones that i found are for 8V SOHC engine.
The 8 Valve SOHC is also G13B. I guess the engine in Indian Swift and Esteem Mpfi is G13BB.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Can anyone also provide me with the Valve setttings for Swift

G13BB 18 Valve SOHC

It seems most people dont have "real" tech knowledge, except mundane solutions to "why someone car is jerking" or "why someones car is makig zing zing sound"
Old 12th December 2008, 16:18   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
It seems most people dont have "real" tech knowledge, except mundane solutions to "why someone car is jerking" or "why someones car is makig zing zing sound"
I suggest you PM vikram_d, he is the expert on petrol swifts on this forum. He is your one stop guide to all jerks, zing zing and much more info. Seeing the amount of time & money he has spent in modding his car, he should be of great assistance to you.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 12th December 2008 at 16:20.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Company recommended Valve clearance specifications for Swift petrol.

On a cold engine (15 - 25 deg C) - Intake side = 0.13 to 0.17 mm (0.005 to 0.007 in.), Exhaust side = 0.23 to 0.27 mm (0.009 to 0.011 in.)

On a hot engine (60 - 68 deg C) - Intake side = 0.17 to 0.21 mm (0.007 to 0.008 in.), Exhaust side = 0.28 to 0.32 mm ( 0.011 to 0.012 in.)

Any more tech knowledge required?
Old 12th December 2008, 17:23   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Any more tech knowledge required?
Looks like the parts & service manuals for the swift I sourced for mag are being put to good use .
Old 13th December 2008, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Thank you Very Much

I Just want to clarify which service manual are we talking about - I have one too, but it is for new (non indian) 1.5 Litre engine - obviously meant for the global swift.

I was not able to source any manual for g13BB Indian type engine.

If you do have manual for g13bb, do pass it on to me as i want to do this on my own. I have done valve adjustment before on a Integra back in the old times.

By the way - does any one of you happen t live in Whitefield?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks