Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

CEL/MFL Came on and Went off

Hi!!

Last night i was out and suddenly the car stopped responding to the accelerator and the power went low. Then i lowered the gear and got some power back. It was ok for some time and then again no response from the car. The engine was on but very less power. It felt like there were some air gaps and as if fuel was getting over.(But it was not) And then to my horror the CEL came on. The car got back to normal but the CEL was on. Now i reached home and shut the engine down and turned it on again. The CEL had gone. The car is running fine now.

H E L P . . . What should i do now??
Old 29th July 2008, 17:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys Come on!!!

48 views but not 1 post, why?

was i not able to explain the problem or is it something so uncommon?

Plz let me know...
Old 29th July 2008, 18:18   #3
BHPian

Kaushik,

Usually the CEL light comes up and vanishes when it has actually logged an issue. So you cannot rule out any problem if your engine is working fine now.

As for loosing your power suddenly, maybe that was the issue the system registered. Could be anything from a lean mixture to bad quality fuel.

Another note: The CEL rarely malfunctions. So have trust on it.

I suggest you get professional assistance at an A.S.S. Be there when they are diagnosing the issue.

Keep us updated

Cheers !
Old 30th July 2008, 12:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Thanx for the input. My question is, why did the CEL go off. I was told by sumone that the CEL also goes off by itself if the problem is solved. So incase the fuel was bad then the problem is solved. Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Kaushik,

Usually the CEL light comes up and vanishes when it has actually logged an issue. So you cannot rule out any problem if your engine is working fine now.

As for loosing your power suddenly, maybe that was the issue the system registered. Could be anything from a lean mixture to bad quality fuel.

Another note: The CEL rarely malfunctions. So have trust on it.

I suggest you get professional assistance at an A.S.S. Be there when they are diagnosing the issue.

Keep us updated

Cheers !
Old 31st July 2008, 15:25   #5
BHPian

The CEL goes off after registering an issue. It stays on only if there is a serious problem. Since yours went off after few seconds, I suspect there was a problem which was noticed by the ECU and registered it.

So don't waste time. Go to an A.S.S and get it diagonised. It might be anything.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2008, 16:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

HEY !!! I went and got it chcked. There was a prob with the AC wiering. My mechanic says that the problem is solved now. But what abt the power dropping problem? I have driven another 100kms but that same prob hasent come up again.

What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
The CEL goes off after registering an issue. It stays on only if there is a serious problem. Since yours went off after few seconds, I suspect there was a problem which was noticed by the ECU and registered it.

So don't waste time. Go to an A.S.S and get it diagonised. It might be anything.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2008, 19:02   #7
BHPian

Get your wiring check thoroughly again, i believe your wires were eaten by rats recently & you got it fixed by some local garage (may be some thing is left out,loose connection or shorting somewhere ), you should get the wires joint soldered, which mostly local garage don't do & they just hand twist/turn & apply tape.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jeetu you are right, i got it chked and there was a problem with the AC wires. But what i am scared about is the other problem that i mentioned in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Get your wiring check thoroughly again, i believe your wires were eaten by rats recently & you got it fixed by some local garage (may be some thing is left out,loose connection or shorting somewhere ), you should get the wires joint soldered, which mostly local garage don't do & they just hand twist/turn & apply tape.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

if you have done the scan got the wires fixed, and if there is no CEL, there is no need to panic. Just run an OBD and make sure all signals are perfect.
There is a thread on common bugs on OHC. will give some useful info.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey !! I am new to the technical issues in cars. Could you please tell me what OBD means. I mean atleast the full form of OBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
if you have done the scan got the wires fixed, and if there is no CEL, there is no need to panic. Just run an OBD and make sure all signals are perfect.
There is a thread on common bugs on OHC. will give some useful info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks