Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 12:17   #16
BANNED

Yes iRDE having gear selection problems. do check before warranty gets over.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:43   #17
BHPian

Hi BHPites,

Thanks for some of the quick suggestions.

To answer some of the questions raised, the upshift from 1st gear to 2nd gear is also not as smooth as it should be. But it it's much better than the downshift problem from 2nd to 1st gear. Also this downshift problem to 1st gear is also not always seen. Specifically it's not seen if the car is in neutral and if the gear rod is moved swiftly from right most position to left most position before it's downshifted to 1st gear. When the service person checks the car, typically he does the same(move the gear from right to left from neutral) and he does not observe this problem.

The downshift problem is specifically when when the car is running and when the gear is being downshifted from 3->2->1. I strongly feel that it's not normal. How can I escalate this issue in service center. Just informing service guy does not seem to help
Old 14th April 2010, 12:49   #18
BANNED

In which month you have bought the car? is it March/April 2008 ??

What about the shifting feeling from 2nd gear to Neutral while car moves and the same while stationary ?
Old 14th April 2010, 13:34   #19
BHPian

I have bought the car in April 2008. I have not noticed significant issue in shifting the gear from 2nd to Neutral. But it's little stiff sometime. Where as I feel that some lever is blocking the gear movement when moving from 2nd to 1st.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:36   #20
BANNED

Can you post your 17 digit VIN number so i will help out whether your car having any problem.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:26   #21
BHPian

Similar issue with my Matiz

Hi, may sound but I face same issue for my 2000 model Matiz. Following are more detailed symptoms of the issue.
- I can engage 1st (or any gear) smoothly when car is stand still.
- Up shifting is normal for all gears.
- Down shifting from any gear is normal except from 2nd to 1st when car is moving even at very low speed.
- Earlier I never faced this issue. I know we should not engage 1st when car is moving or with higher RPMs (though I don't have Teho from experience one can sense).
- Many cases when we need to engage 1st when car is moving, earlier I was able to do down shift from 2nd to 1st with ease not it's not happening. Cases when car is full with load and trying to climb or we decrease the speed at the Bangalore's humps, car doesn't have enough power to pull but not able to engage 1st so two options: either use clutch or to stop the car and engage 1st (which is very dengerous in case of climbing).

Now I reported this to two different garage but to my bad both just chenged gear box oil and one change some gear badding/bedding as there was little play in gear knob. But till date issue is as it is.

Please suggest some solution. I also had gone thru the thread about indications of clutch wear out but my car is not showing any such symptoms. I haven't changed clutch and car has done 70k km.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:56   #22
BHPian

Hi Wildon,

I had sent a private message to you with my I10 VIN number. pls let me know if there is known gear issue with these VIN series.

Regards
Old 14th April 2010, 21:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrife View Post
I feel some obstruction/stickyness while moving from 2nd to 1st gear when the car is in motion.
I would like to know if this gear problem is common in all I10 cars or is there something wrong with my car?
Is this really an issue ? I thought this behaviour is normal for any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
I was told by their senior technician that it is designed in such a way that the first gear would slot when the car is not in motion and thats how you should do it.
Even I feel the same way, but I may be wrong.

May be one of us could write a mail to Hyundai and confirm whether this is really an issue or this is the expected behaviour.

Rohan
Old 12th October 2016, 16:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: i10 - Shift Selector Issue!!

Old thread - but I bought a 2009 i10 iRDE era for my wife some time back. The gear shift is generally ok (well, not as buttery smooth as my amaze but surprisingly decent for an older vehicle) - but occasionally there is difficulty engaging reverse, so that the gear doesn't lock fully into place in the reverse position.

Shifting to some other gear like first and then shifting back to reverse seems to clear the situation up. That and I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I can slot into any gear at all directly from neutral (eg: neutral straight to third or fifth) - so a novice driver can easily shift into third when she wants to shift into the first gear, if she doesn't get her hand position right. Well, getting that right is something to learn .. but any suggested fix for the reverse gear issue?
Old 12th October 2016, 16:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
but occasionally there is difficulty engaging reverse, so that the gear doesn't lock fully into place in the reverse position. Shifting to some other gear like first and then shifting back to reverse seems to clear the situation up.
The reverse gear usually has straight teeth (i.e. its teeth are parallel to the shaft), unlike the forward gears which have helical teeth (i.e. angled to the shaft). Moreover, the forward gears usually use synchronizers (synchromesh) to match the speeds of gears before engaging them. Together, this is why changing forward gears is smooth.

For reverse, because of the absence of a synchronizer, the shafts must be at a stop before it can be engaged. Therefore, one tip is to ensure that there is a slight pause before attempting to put it into reverse, if the car was in neutral or another gear. This will allow the input shaft to lose its momentum after the clutch has been pressed. The trick of slotting into first, moving a bit and then putting it into reverse also helps in engaging the teeth of the reverse gear in the absence of a synchomesh.

Now, seeing your posts on the forum, I know you're an experienced driver, so the question is - do you feel this problem is more than normal when even you drive the i10? If so, you might want to check and lubricate the gear selector cables/levers and see if that makes a difference.

Quote:
That and I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I can slot into any gear at all directly from neutral (eg: neutral straight to third or fifth)
This is normal in manual transmissions, you can slot into any gear. Taking off from such a gear is another question. New drivers might occasionally pop it into 3rd, but the poor performance (or stalling) that occurs will indicate its the wrong gear.

EDIT: Regarding the reverse gear, what is the mileage on the car? Can you also cross check how often the gearbox oil needs changing, and when it was last changed? This is not a solution for the problem specifically, but a wider maintenance point.

Quote:
This gearshift sticking in reverse is very random and not very easy to reproduce either.
If you really want to solve it, it might require opening up the gearbox to check and replace the reverse gears and/or bearings. But given its only the reverse gear, and that its a random issue, you might prefer to just leave it as-is, and only do it if you find the problem worsening noticeably.

Good you did a thorough replacement of the wear-and-tear parts after purchase

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th October 2016 at 17:10.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
For reverse, because of the absence of a synchronizer, the shafts must be at a stop before it can be engaged. Therefore, one tip is to ensure that there is a slight pause before attempting to put it into reverse, if the car was in neutral or another gear.
Agreed about the slight pause - but this issue is encountered even when slotting the car in reverse to back out of a parking position.

I do run into this occasionally - but quite a few times in the few months that I have had it - with the i10 - which has run around 66k km since 2009 and was bought used from a single owner (woman who drove it on her own), then I had it serviced at a trusted FNG (Speed Motors in Chennai) rather than Hyundai ASS. The car had a clean service history with the clutch replaced about a year and a half before I bought it, but nothing else much that was major before or after that.

All lubes, gearbox oil, brake fluid, engine oil etc were changed when I first bought the car back in April. Several rubber parts that were old and worn out - such as what the FNG called a bush in the gearshift - were changed at that same time - and that considerably improved the gear shifting from what it was at the time of purchase.

This gearshift sticking in reverse is very random and not very easy to reproduce either. Note - The clutch seems normal to me, correct amount of play and not terribly hard or anything for a vehicle of its age.

Last edited by hserus : 12th October 2016 at 17:03.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks