Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.6 high speed braking

Mods please move this topic if it is out of place!

Hi all,

Thought I will share my 2 cents on slowing a 1.6 down from high speeds.

This has been my technique and has served me well. Though you may find it similar to other cars, I find the Palio is a tad easier to slow down at high speeds.

Last tried data:
Speed:130 KMPH; Gear:5th; Load:4 + full boot; Tyre:28 psi; Target: Road hump at about 100 meters.

Place your toe (right ) on the pedal, but resist the urge to pump it, as you do this you can feel the pedal sinking further on its own (like some Brake assist). By this time you would feel the car slowing down. Also easing off the gas in 5th helps to slow the car down (engg stuff).
Back to braking, at 100 KMPH apply slight pressure on the brake pedal, as said earlier DO NOT press it hard.

All this while your heel should be touching the floor or mat firmly. This helps to achieve precise pressure on the brake pedal.

At about 80 KMPH you can start applying the required amount of pressure based on the hump, cow, dog etc., coming at you.

Down shift to 4th and quickly to 3rd at about 60-55 KMPH (ONLY), along with the required amount of brake pressure (estimate the impact distance).

Below 50 KMPH should be a cake walk to brake.

I tried this technique on some MUL, GM and Ford cars. Most of them responded well, while others were a bit slow to my commands. However I did not feel that sinking feeling in any of these cars (what is it then?)

Please note: This is a personal and a practiced technique. Please share your thoughts and try this at lower speeds before moving to higher speeds.

Please do not speed!

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Old 29th July 2008, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

see this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-upgrade.html

@meremortal - thanks!
Old 5th August 2008, 17:29   #3
BHPian

Something new to try for me with my ride

Yea. I know what you mean when you say "that sinking feeling" while touching the pedals.

Will let you know when I try this.

Not sure when I will get to go out of the city though.

Cheers,
Siddharth

Most Viewed