Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 10:54   #136
BHPian

Re: Airconditioning in the Gypsy

Don't fiddle with idle control screw. Ideally what you should be looking for is the IAC valve located below your throttle body. It has four screws and can be dis-assembled to be cleaned. Clean it with petrol only and not any other cleaner as other cleaners may cause the small bearing to loose its lubrication and it can then be stuck in open position, happened to me twice and then on i use only petrol to clean it.
You should also replace the gasket when you clean the IAC valve. Do this cleaning before you fiddle with the screw. The screw should be touched only when all other measures fail.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Don't fiddle with idle control screw. Ideally what you should be looking for is the IAC valve located below your throttle body. The screw should be touched only when all other measures fail.
Thank you for the input Scorpian. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the function of the IAC valve. Will cleaning this valve likely resolve the issue?
Old 26th August 2019, 21:43   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Thank you for the input Scorpian. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the function of the IAC valve. Will cleaning this valve likely resolve the issue?
Like its name its function is to provide consistent rpm and maintain the same.
A dirty or jammed iac valve will not work optimum there by not doing its primary function of helping in providing feedback to the ecm for proper rpm control at idle.
A proper clean up shoukd definetly help you.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:37   #139
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Dear Fellow BHPians,

I am a proud owner of one of the last MG413Ws that Maruti produced. After months of deliberation and surviving endless questions by family, i took the plunge and purchased my dream car.

I need some advise on air conditioning in the gypsy. I have not found a good mechanic who can install an AC in the gypsy with least of amendments (maybe i did not look hard enough). I use the gypsy as a family car (my wife has not complained yet ) and my primary motive is a comfortable ride in hot climates. While the Gypsy isn't known for comforts per se but I believe the vehicle is flexible enough to be modified for every need-including mine!

First things first, cooling in the car. I have been toying with the following options (the corona scare gives one a lot of thinking time),
1. Thermo-electrics (not very effective)
2. Insulation of the interiors with appropriate material. Rear window real estate is significant and appropriate sun block frames (technical name not known) need to be custom made.
3. Cooling jackets with ice-packs or battery operated fans. Not tried these yet. I am fine with it but family may not be.
4. Electric air-conditioner like the type used in electric vehicles. I have not been able to find much information on this on the net nor find a mechanic who could install the same.
5. a DIY cooling system using ice in a thermocol box with an electric fan blowing over the ice. This is quite effective but one has to plan in advance and keep adequate ice handy. Not too suitable for very long trips.
6. Conventional 80cc compressor ac kit. Mainly for cooling the front cabin alone for now. The placement of the heat exchanger is what has prevented me from going ahead with any installation. A mechanic in Amritsar said they would install it under the cabin while another in Hyderabad said they would install it in front of the radiator. I use the vehicle for off-roading on hilly terrain and on sand, and each of the placement options cited come with challenges of damage or over-heating respectively (ac will not be used when off-roading).

So I am in a dilemma or more so a multi-lemma as to the way forward. Please throw some light in this state of dusk.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th March 2020 at 13:02. Reason: Please proof read prior to submission and use spell-checkers. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2020, 13:20   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,
=====
So I am in a dilemma or more so a multi-lemma as to the way forward. Please throw some light in this state of dusk.
Get a normal AC to install done, if you have only front passenger most often, then you can put a transparent plastic sheet partition for the front area to avoid wastage. Post below has the install details of what I did a while back for my old vehicle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2713337
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:05   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get a normal AC to install done, if you have only front passenger most often, then you can put a transparent plastic sheet partition for the front area to avoid wastage. Post below has the install details of what I did a while back for my old vehicle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2713337
Thank you Jaggu. In which city is WeCool situated? How may I contact them? I am presently residing in Chennai.
Old 19th March 2020, 15:08   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Jaggu. In which city is WeCool situated? How may i contact them? I am presently residing in Chennai
Bangalore but I am pretty sure Chennai also would have competent AC installers who can do the same. Just search for the same in TeamBHP also.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:49   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am a proud owner of one of the last MG413Ws that Maruti produced. I need some advise on air conditioning in the gypsy. .
I will suggest you keep away from this temptation. Especially until you have done 2-3000 Km on your Gypsy. All the market installations result in overheating of the engine, primarily due to lower idle RPM's. In most of the cars, when we switch on the AC, RPM's increase due to a vacuum device or via ECU. In the Gypsy, there is no way to increase this which results in heating of the engine. If you are planning to do lot of highway runs, it will still be Ok. I got installed one on my 2018 Gypsy and had got the belt removed after a while as I could not bear the Temperature needle running so high. If someone has a way to increase throttle, do share. I asked the mechanic to build a wire Chowk type assembly like we used to have on the old carburettors, but no one is interested.
Old 19th March 2020, 16:08   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will suggest you keep away from this temptation. Especially until you have done 2-3000 Km on your Gypsy. All the market installations result in overheating of the engine, primarily due to lower idle RPM's. In most of the cars, when we switch on the AC, RPM's increase due to a vacuum device or via ECU. In the Gypsy, there is no way to increase this which results in heating of the engine. If you are planning to do lot of highway runs, it will still be Ok. I got installed one on my 2018 Gypsy and had got the belt removed after a while as I could not bear the Temperature needle running so high. If someone has a way to increase throttle, do share. I asked the mechanic to build a wire Chowk type assembly like we used to have on the old carburettors, but no one is interested.
Thanks Turbanator. I have also come across this. Is your heat exchanger is placed before the radiator? (presuming so because of the acceptability of highway runs). Strangely, even though the new MG has an MPFi engine the radiator fan is still run by the engine. I was quite pained to see this when i opened the bonnet. One thread in this forum spoke about replacing the belt fan with a wagon-r electric fan, which in turn reduces the load on the engine a bit and thereby reduces engine over-heat. Also the electric fan runs always as there is no thermocoupling. Hence was exploring the possibility of installing a purely electric ac where the compressor itself runs on electric power from the battery. Electric cars would definitely have some solution like that.
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:44   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is your heat exchanger is placed before the radiator? (presuming so because of the acceptability of highway runs).
No, it's under the floor at the rear. The highway runs should be ok as the engine runs at higher RPM's.

Quote:
even though the new MG has an MPFi engine the radiator fan is still run by the engine.
That does not take a toll until we add another load like AC compressor.

Quote:
replacing the belt fan with a wagon-r electric fan, which in turn reduces the load on the engine a bit and thereby reduces engine over-heat.
That's new to me. So they run the AC load with the belt and change the Radiator fan to electric? Does it help?

Quote:
was exploring the possibility of installing a purely electric ac where the compressor itself runs on electric power from the battery. Electric cars would definitely have some solution like that.
That will definitely need secondary batteries with higher voltage. Maybe keep a 0,5 Ton AC in the rear and run the compressor with a DG Set or add a layer of batteries But then will Gypsy able to take the load of those additional batteries?

Here's what happens on Electric cars.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...ric-car-works/
Old 19th March 2020, 17:06   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, it's under the floor at the rear. The highway runs should be ok as the engine runs at higher RPM's.

That does not take a toll until we add another load like AC compressor.

That's new to me. So they run the AC load with the belt and change the Radiator fan to electric? Does it help?

That will definitely need secondary batteries with higher voltage. Maybe keep a 0,5 Ton AC in the rear and run the compressor with a DG Set or add a layer of batteries But then will Gypsy able to take the load of those additional batteries?

Here's what happens on Electric cars.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...ric-car-works/
1. Okay
2. It does not take a toll. Would have left the extra power for the ac compressor.
3. I haven't checked out any vehicle with the wagon-r fan. theoretically it should result in a lower load on the engine.
4. DG set with 0.5 ton AC. Didn't think of that
5. Nice article. Compressor is powered by batteries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks