Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 21:36   #16
BHPian

madmaxdave and all others,

i have been using an airconditioner in my gypsy for the past 3 years.
initially i faced the the same problem of overheating in slow moving traffic and at standstill.
moved the condensor under the body and that helped but the overheating at low speeds did not disappear completely.

next thing i did was take out the stock thermoclutch unit and plonk in a electric fan and since then i have had no issues with cooling.
i did not connect the fan to a off-on switch but to the thermostat. i has been working perfect ever since without a glitch.
the fan can also be wired to run continuously as soon as the a/c is switched on. however, if you have wired it up to thermostat, even this is not needed.

buy a brand new electric fan for the wagon r. fits very nicely on the stock gypsy radiator.
imho, there is no need to replace the radiator, the stock unit is sufficient for cooling properly.

cheers
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 22:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
buy a brand new electric fan for the wagon r. fits very nicely on the stock gypsy radiator.
imho, there is no need to replace the radiator, the stock unit is sufficient for cooling properly.
Gotzuk, this sounds like it is possibly the best solution!
I would say this is the one to try out FIRST.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, bumping this thread for an info I need.

What cost's are we looking at to get the A/C fitted in a Gypsy.

For

- A/C & parts
- Fan
- Wiring, etc
- Labor

Also, would getting a 'good working' 'salvaged/second hand a/c' from junkyard market be a reasonable option? If yes, which vehicles A/C would work or any A/C from any car would work?

Cheers,
Old 13th February 2009, 15:06   #19
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

For

- A/C & parts
- Fan
- Wiring, etc
- Labor

Also, would getting a 'good working' 'salvaged/second hand a/c' from junkyard market be a reasonable option? If yes, which vehicles A/C would work or any A/C from any car would work?

Cheers,
Its about 25k-30k with full installation in MASS.
AC in Gypsy are you serious, an offroader vehicle needs AC.
Old 13th February 2009, 17:57   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

For

- A/C & parts
- Fan
- Wiring, etc
- Labor

Cheers,
I'm running a Sierra air-con (sourced from my brother) in the Classic. As long as the condition of used parts is decent, I don't see a problem. Factor in about 10,000 for the install, including custom bracket work.

I don't know much about the stock engine cooling system in your car. Chances are, that will need an upgrade as well (bigger / more powerful fan or radiator).

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2009 at 17:58.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Me too earlier thought that off-roaders were not supposed to have air-cons and if installed they would never be successful.
But after reading on GTO's thread and especially after my recent trip to Corbett, I have decided that if I want to use my 550 frequently, especially in the summer months AC would not be a luxury but a necessity.
Like if I take it to Corbet NP, its a 5 hours drive and if there is no aircon by the time we reach there the occupants would be so exhausted and it would like sitting in a oven. I wouldnt want that.

So I too am contemplating installing a aircon in my 550 and will decide in March or April this year.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:31   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You bet! I can't even think of driving my Classic around without an air-con. Our weather is simply too much of a killer. I don't see where the "offroaders should not have an air-con" thought surfaced from, but it couldn't be any more off the mark.
Old 14th February 2009, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Shahnawaz,
Use a Sanden 507 compressor and Superking cooling coil. Affix the condensor between the chassis rails just in front of the rear differential. Install an electric fan and kill two birds with one stone. Instantly better cooling for the engine and you can deactivate it for water crossings.

Cheers
Old 14th February 2009, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Affix the condensor between the chassis rails just in front of the rear differential.
The condenser gets choked with mud and the fan goes out of order double quick in this location.
Better alternative is on the roof. Few are willing for this very practical solution because holes need to be cut somewhere for the pipes!
Old 14th February 2009, 17:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shahnawaz,
Use a Sanden 507 compressor and Superking cooling coil. .... Install an electric fan ....

Cheers
What would be the approx costs for these?

Sanden 507 Comp
SuperKing Cooling Coil
Fan (Are you suggesting that I have ONLY 1 NEW fan now and do away with the existing one?)

PS: The A/C needs are ONLY for the drivers cabin area. NOT for the whole vehicle. So the smallest A/C that can do this would do.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: The A/C needs are ONLY for the drivers cabin area. NOT for the whole vehicle. So the smallest A/C that can do this would do.
If your Gypsy is a single cab pickup type, a compressor smaller than the 507 would do and you will not need a blower as powerful as the Superking.
You'll find cheaper options.

And you can never do away with the stock fan. That is a 'always on' belt driven unit. What helps is to fit a larger size fan. I had used the Contessa fan in mine. Used to make a very exciting loud sound at 4000 revs! To fit such a fan, a flat disc hub had to be machined as the mounting holes PCD of the OEM fan and the Contessa fan are very different.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
What would be the approx costs for these?

Sanden 507 Comp
SuperKing Cooling Coil
Fan (Are you suggesting that I have ONLY 1 NEW fan now and do away with the existing one?)

Shahnawaz,
I can find out the current prices in a couple of days.
But my guess is that for all new a/c components plus installation should be around 25000 thousand rupees.
When I installed an a/c in my Gypsy three years back, I was running a full soft top with a roll down partition for the front two seats. I had put in a smaller cooling coil thinking it would be sufficient for the front enclosure but found out that the cooling would not sustain as it is very hard to make the soft top enclosure air tight. Then I switched to a Superking unit and the increased airflow and cooling made a world of difference. Not much money is to be saved by switching to smaller compressor but yes, a smaller cooling coil can save you some money.
I am sure there are more efficient and cheaper compressors in the market. The Sanden 507 is a favoured compressor by installers in my neck of the woods and is repairable cost effectively. I suggested the same, as that is what I have used and found to be robust and reasonably priced. The Superking cooling coil is definitely expensive, but it has superb quality and will last you for a very long time. IMO, a vehicle with a soft top needs more efficient airconditioning than a hard top version. If your budget permits, go for the best available options.
Remember, the sweetness of quality lingers long after the bitterness of high price has faded away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The condenser gets choked with mud and the fan goes out of order double quick in this location.
Better alternative is on the roof. Few are willing for this very practical solution because holes need to be cut somewhere for the pipes!
anupmathur,
I agree that a roof mounting condensor is indeed efficient but I feel is a disaster aesthetically. I have had no fan failure so far since it was installed. The fan is sandwiched between the condensor and the body and hence very little dirt gets to it. A strict pressure washing regimen every three weeks or after every OTR which involved driving through slush/mud, has probably helped in the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And you can never do away with the stock fan. That is a 'always on' belt driven unit. What helps is to fit a larger size fan. I had used the Contessa fan in mine. Used to make a very exciting loud sound at 4000 revs! To fit such a fan, a flat disc hub had to be machined as the mounting holes PCD of the OEM fan and the Contessa fan are very different.
I agree with what you say for the reliability of belt driven fan but even the electric fans have a very good life span.
Well, I, for one, have done away completely with the belt driven unit and am very happy so far, zero breakdowns. I have a mix of a Ingido shroud with a Santro fan which has worked perfect so far. A friend in Bangalore used a brand new WagonR shroud and fan assembly and has reported that it fits and works very nicely. Have some pics of the same, will dig them out if needed.

The problem with the belt driven unit is the variable speed linked to the engine revolutions. So, at low speeds in bumper to bumper traffic with the a/c running the fan does not have enough rpms or air flow to efficiently cool the engine. This issue is more prominent in the injected Gypsies vis-a-vis the carburetted versions.

The electric fan runs on peak revolutions from the very start irrespective of engine revolutions and cools more efficiently. Plus the added advantage of being able to switch it off for water wading. But, if the belt driven fan is to be retained, then a small electric fan can be installed in front of the radiator. I guess that that would be the best of both worlds.

Just my two cents..
Cheers
Old 14th February 2009, 22:54   #28
BHPian

I had problems when retrofitting (replacing R12 with an environmentally friendly R134a) an old Ford Falcon. You just need proper air-flow through the radiator and A/C condenser so bolt on an electric fan and connect it to your aircon relay. If you can find a plastic coulee around the fan it will assist in directing the air flow
Old 15th February 2009, 08:27   #29
BHPian

Fitting an A/C in a Gypsy

I would tend to agree with the above. I had similar overheating problems in my Gypsy King (1996 Dec model - carburreted - one of the first!!) and after trying everything - except fitting an electric fan as no one in Bombay was capable of doing the job - finally gave up and sold the Gypsy. A couple of years later saw a friend's Gypsy with an electric fan fitted. No overheating problems whatsoever. The ultra thin fans can be fitted easily in the "King" without any major modification.
Old 15th February 2009, 09:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shahnawaz,
I can find out the current prices in a couple of days.
But my guess is that for all new a/c components plus installation should be around 25000 thousand rupees.
Thanks Man. do let me know the price breakup, if possible. Sanden 507/505 comp, different cooling coils etc.

Quote:
If your budget permits, go for the best available options.
Remember, the sweetness of quality lingers long after the bitterness of high price has faded away!!
Fully agree. If & when I get this done, it will be the best quality & VFM option. A good second hand/used parts is also an option (if I am sure of the quality)

Quote:
I agree with what you say for the reliability of belt driven fan but even the electric fans have a very good life span.
Well, I, for one, have done away completely with the belt driven unit and am very happy so far, zero breakdowns. ...Have some pics of the same, will dig them out if needed.
Yes, pictures of your install/details would help a lot. Do put them here. This option for sure will help a lot in deep water.

Most Viewed