Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 13:38   #226
BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Santro didn't have a removable glove box as a whole, but they had provided a removable portion so that the Ac could be serviced without dash removal. That was nice. They've joined the bandwagon since though, now even the puny Eon needs dash removal.
Yeah! Santro's glove box was actually integrated into the dashboard, after removing the front door, the back wall/plate of the glove box could be screwed out, which was enough to do the job.
Old 11th September 2018, 13:31   #227
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

The AC blower motor of my FORD FIGO (1st Gen 2012 model 1.23L KM run) is not working as expected for last couple of weeks. Suddenly the motor stops blowing air or lowers the amount of air thrown from vents. When it doesn't work, NHAI pothole comes to rescue or a gentle tap or two on dashboard gets it back to life. I called up FORD service adviser and he said "Saar, blower motor needs to be replaced. 3.5K for motor plus labor charges".

I am sure total replacement cost will come close to 5K rupees.

Additionally, for last two days I can hear humming noise when the AC blower is on. Is it possible to repair the blower motor. I suspect it is just a case of bad bearing. Any one has repaired the AC blower motor for similar issue? What was the cost incurred and how reliable was the repair.
Old 11th September 2018, 19:52   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
The AC blower motor of my FORD FIGO (1st Gen 2012 model 1.23L KM run) is not working as expected for last couple of weeks. Suddenly the motor stops blowing air or lowers the amount of air thrown from vents. When it doesn't work, NHAI pothole comes to rescue or a gentle tap or two on dashboard gets it back to life. I called up FORD service adviser and he said "Saar, blower motor needs to be replaced. 3.5K for motor plus labor charges".
When was the last time you changed your Figo's AC (cabin air) filter?
Old 12th September 2018, 13:08   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
When was the last time you changed your Figo's AC (cabin air) filter?
It was changed during 1.2L KMs service couple of months back. Some how I am not convinced by diagnosis done by FORD A.S.S "Motor cant be repaired. Just replace it". As of today AC blower is almost dead. It took almost 200 mts pothole filled road to make it work on a hot day. Thank you NHAI

By the way found a video on youtube.

Old 12th September 2018, 13:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was changed during 1.2L KMs service couple of months back. Some how I am not convinced by diagnosis done by FORD A.S.S "Motor cant be repaired. Just replace it". As of today AC blower is almost dead. It took almost 200 mts pothole filled road to make it work on a hot day. Thank you NHAI
Just getting the blower motor cleaned out and lubricated might help as you suggest.

The fact that it works when a pothole jars the motor loose suggests its just clogged with dirt.

Also make sure your coolant levels are full (drain and replace the coolant if you need to). A hot engine = far less efficiency for the aircon.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 12:15   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am sure total replacement cost will come close to 5K rupees.

Additionally, for last two days I can hear humming noise when the AC blower is on. Is it possible to repair the blower motor. I suspect it is just a case of bad bearing. Any one has repaired the AC blower motor for similar issue? What was the cost incurred and how reliable was the repair.
Your case is classic case of blower motor failure. Intermittent operation occurs when the contacts etc inside get worn and start behaving erratically.

I think the only remedy is replacement as these components these days don't come with a build allowing proper repair and are of the use-and-throw type. But I think you might get the motor outside the A.S.S. for cheaper. The additional cost of fitment depends upon the car and how much do you need to open up stuff to replace the part. I wouldn't suggest an attempt to repair.

Quote:
Some how I am not convinced by diagnosis done by FORD A.S.S "Motor cant be repaired. Just replace it". As of today AC blower is almost dead. It took almost 200 mts pothole filled road to make it work on a hot day.
I think the diagnosis and proposed remedy by the A.S.S is right. But you should do it outside and that way you could save a couple thousands maybe.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2018 at 07:53. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 13:32   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your case is classic case of blower motor failure. Intermittent operation occurs when the contacts etc inside get worn and start behaving erratically.

I think the only remedy is replacement as these components these days don't come with a build allowing proper repair and are of the use-and-throw type. But I think you might get the motor outside the A.S.S. for cheaper. The additional cost of fitment depends upon the car and how much do you need to open up stuff to replace the part. I wouldn't suggest an attempt to repair.
It could be one of a few things.

1. Too much dust and not enough lubrication - in which case just cleaning the dust should help.

2. There's a resistor in the blower motor which might be failing - that may not require the entire blower motor to be replaced. A good FNG will check and replace just that instead of the whole motor.

or

3. The blower motor might be going bad as you suggest. If so replace.
Old 15th September 2018, 23:09   #233
BHPian

The AC in my Fiat Linea suddenly stopped working. It was working on Friday. Car was not in use on weekends and on Monday when I started the car, the blower was not throwing cool air. The blower fan was working in normal fashion. However the radiator fan was not starting after switching the AC on.

Another interesting thing I observed is, my right indicator light also stopped working at the same time. Could it be the case of some rat eating the wiring when the car was standing idle on weekends ? Or could it be some other reason ?
Old 16th September 2018, 20:07   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
The AC in my Fiat Linea suddenly stopped working. It was working on Friday. Car was not in use on weekends and on Monday when I started the car, the blower was not throwing cool air. The blower fan was working in normal fashion. However the radiator fan was not starting after switching the AC on.

Another interesting thing I observed is, my right indicator light also stopped working at the same time. Could it be the case of some rat eating the wiring when the car was standing idle on weekends ? Or could it be some other reason ?
Yes, it could be the rats. As I always say, a car ac is very unpredictable with respect to what may be the cause for any given issue, because that's the way the complexity of the system is and that's how its built. Meaning, one single issue could have half a dozen completely different causes. Other normal mechanical issues can be much more "pin-pointable", if I may put it, with much easier guesses.

For example, I came across a guy yesterday who had a complaint of drive-belt screeching-like noises whenever the Ac was switched on. He wanted the belt changed as that's what most folks would think the culprit was. But as I said, it's not that simple with a car ac. This particular complaint could have several reasons like a malfunctioning belt-tensioner, a worn out compressor pulley bearing, a worn out compressor clutch, over-charge of refrigerant, alternator bearing issue, a bad compressor itself, or yes, even a bad compressor drive-belt. Among others. The actual issue in this case was that the compressor had malfunctioned and was running hard as in jammed up, which was putting a lot more pressure on the belt to turn it and hence the belt was slipping and creating the noise. The guy needs a compressor replacement.

So you see, even your problem could have umpteen causes, technically speaking, so you yourself who could have the best guess as you know the environment and use of your car better. A fellow bhpian wouldn't know you had rats in your parking locality now, would he?

The only thing better than your guess would be an actual physical checkup by an Ac technician! Smartest thing to do in most cases

Just my two cents. Hope it helps
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 19:41   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It could be one of a few things.

3. The blower motor might be going bad as you suggest. If so replace.
Quote:
I think the diagnosis and proposed remedy by the A.S.S is right. But you should do it outside and that way you could save a couple thousands maybe.
Thanks for the answers.

I took it to an A.C mechanic and he diagnosed it as worn out solenoid and other aging problem and advised to replace it than going for repair with limited life.
So got a new blower motor installed from him. Cost of replacement was 3.5K for blower motor and 600 fitting charges. With soaring temperature and regular commute I got it installed instead of hunting more shops. Now AC works fine as usual. However at full speed bit of rumble can be felt in steering. I don’t remember having this with original blower motor. I guess aftermarket cannot match the original fitment.

The A.C mechanic was asking if I want to get the cooler coil cleaned. They have a chemical which they spray at the condenser by partially opening dash. He showed an ongoing cleaning wherein chemical is poured between coils to bring out the dirty black dust particles. He claimed that it will clean the condenser grill (supposedly inside too). Cost of this entire process is 650 rupees and takes an hour. Shop owner advised that one should do this at least once a year to keep cooler coil in good shape else they will leak after some time.

Found a similar video here

Any one has tried this? Is this worth or it is another money making business like A.C disinfectant.
Old 21st September 2018, 00:05   #236
BHPian

Quote:
The A.C mechanic was asking if I want to get the cooler coil cleaned. They have a chemical which they spray at the condenser by partially opening dash. He showed an ongoing cleaning wherein chemical is poured between coils to bring out the dirty black dust particles.

Any one has tried this? Is this worth or it is another money making business like A.C disinfectant.
Cleaning the cooling coil/ Evaporator core is the best thing you can do for your Ac to keep it always in ship shape with optimum performance levels. Best done along with a condenser cleaning too for best results. That said, it all depends on how detailed and effective the process is with which you go. Different folks use different methods and frankly, most are what you could call a money making business, especially most A.S.S people. I personally don't believe in just the spraying of the chemical. It's incomplete. Since most coils are not sufficiently accessible in order to do a shortcut spray process properly.

Basically you have to be sure that the chemical being used is a proper one which is meant for the application and that it is spread evenly so that it reaches every nook and corner of the cooling coil and more importantly it should be thoroughly washed of afterwards making sure no chemical residue is left behind which could be corrosive for the coil.

The process if improperly done will firstly not give the full results and secondly the clean-up will not last as long as it should and you will have to service again sooner than you ideally would need to. Read extra unnecessary service costs. Hope that clears it nicely.

All the best.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 06:40   #237
Senior - BHPian

Dont go around cleaning the coil every year - a proper cleanup requires the complete stripping of the dashboard in most newer cars.

Change the cabin air filter regularly and keep the AC in recirculation mode, you should be fine.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 11:58   #238
BANNED

This issue is faced by my father with his 6 year old Chevy UV-A petrol which does its duty in my native, Bhubaneswar. Though the car is being used regularly, but usage is ultra low, less than 20K over 6 years. Car always gets serviced at Chevy A.S.S. on schedule.

Issue:
After a cold start, whenever A/C is switched on, engine revs up to 8000 RPM or more. There is a lot of engine noise during this process. The RPM and noise subsides after some time though.

There is no issue with engine rev, if A/C is switched on after car runs for some KMs (engine reaching operating temperature?).

Any guess what could be the issue? My nonprofessional idea says, A/C is drawing a lot of power on a cold start, but I am unable to guess any reason behind it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by PetrolRider : 27th September 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Removing Font tag
Old 10th October 2018, 12:48   #239
BHPian

The air-conditioner (AC) in my VW-Jetta needs servicing since:

* The cooling seems to have reduced and is noticeable in the October heat
* Sometimes the engine compartment vapors leak into the cabin
* Fan makes excessive noise at the highest speed setting

I have changed the cabin-air filter, but that has not made much difference. I have seen that a lot of leaves and other small debris generally enters in the panel just below the wind-shield wipers and that area probably needs cleaning.

Let me know if any of you are aware of a good AC mechanic in the Pune area where I can get my car checked out/fixed.

Thanks !
Old 16th October 2018, 13:42   #240
BHPian

Hi all,

The problem I have in my Nano CX is that the AC is making noise which is a bit irritating when stuck in traffic. TASS says that the compressor bearing is gone and the entire unit needs to be replaced. It was already replaced twice in 5 years under warranty so I would like to take a second opinion on that one, before plonking in 15K +labour.

AC blower throw is fine after I cleaned the filter, but the cooling has decreased. AC gas was topped up a couple of years ago during the compressor replacement. I was thinking of getting a full service done on the AC and get an opinion on the compressor. Any recommendations for a good AC mechanic in Chennai - I mean other than Suresh, I have seen the thread about his place.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks