Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:12   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
This is strange for the gas escaping. The recovery unit should be able to collect the gas within the system. Only the balance of the refrigerant which is filled into the system should be charged for.
I am not sure if he said all the gas would escape or part of it. But the total cost of the service including gas refilling was quoted as 2200 for Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
By the way what equipment were they using?
No idea. The problem I went to them for turned out to be electrical. So I am not sure what equipment they use for servicing. They checked my gas pressure first with some handheld stuff before they started the electrical troubleshooting.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd November 2013 at 19:24.
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:43   #62
BHPian

Friends,
I have Swift VDI (2009). Current reading is ~65300.

For last 3-4 months I have seen considerable drop in AC effect. For example earlier with fan speed "One", after around 20 min or so the car used to get cooled. But now a days it takes more time and generally I can't turn it off.

Spoke with Sai, Bavdhan , Mycar wakad , they advised to do A/C servicing. They quoted from 2800 to 3500 rupees.

My question is ..
Is full A/C servicing the only option? and estimate justified?
Or do I need to try some non-MASS? ( please suggest someone near Kothrud, Pune)

-Sanjubaba

Regards
Sanjubaba

Last edited by sanjubaba : 22nd February 2014 at 13:45.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:40   #63
BHPian

My car AC was hardly blowing any air. There has been a huge drop in the blower output over the past year.
I had to run it at fan speed 3 or 4 just to feel comfortable.My Ritz is almost 4 years old & has run 46000 kms.

Finally went to Sai Service hinjewadi today and the technician just popped my glove box and removed the Cabin AC filter.

I started laughing when I saw all the stuff stuck onto it.
Spiders, leaves, sticks, dust and what not! got it changed for 350 bucks and the AC runs as good as new.

Maruti service is cheap!
Old 27th March 2014, 16:37   #64
BHPian

The Air Conditioner on my 2007 Santro Xing is acting up. The airflow from the wents is fine but the air coming out is not cool, specially when the car is not moving which makes it difficult at redlights & in traffic jams.
Another thing that recently cropped up was that the went knob doesn't come till the right most position which is the one for the main wents (on the face position). The knob works at all the levels/positions but doesn't go beyond the second last (feet+face went) position.

Can someone suggest me a place near North/West Delhi (Pitampura) to get these problems rectified & a normal AC service.

PS: What are the charges for a routine/normal AC service here in Delhi ?
Old 1st May 2014, 10:44   #65
BHPian

Can some BHPian here please upload a video of how to clean the condenser coils using pressurized water stream?

I am a novice and fear inadvertently spraying water on something else and getting into trouble.
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:44   #66

I have a 2008 Chevrolet captiva and Ac is intermittent at times it cools for full trip at times it just does not come on despite selecting auto and other air blowing modes request guidance and pl suggest place/ garage to visit for such repair as I am at bangalore jalahalli to be precise
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:14   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Sir,

Are you the first owner?Has the ac been serviced before?

Before you think of visiting a Technician , I suggest you set the auto ac at approx 4-5 degrees below the outside temperature.

Air should be in circulation mode and the blower should blow air to the occupants(not to the bottom or to the windscreen etc.).

If you still face an issue only then would you need to visit a technician.

Last edited by vigsom : 2nd May 2014 at 20:15. Reason: addition
Old 9th May 2014, 11:38   #68
BHPian

Problem with Palio A/C effectiveness

Hi I have a Palio 1.9 diesel. My car's A/C compressor malfunctioned around 2 years back & last year after not being able to find a OEM replacement compressor, I got a Sanden 507 installed in place of the original one. Now when the compressor was changed, a complete overhauling of the A/C system was performed i.e. ripping apart the dashboard, cleaning of the cooling coil, servicing & cleaning of the blower unit, cleaning of the condenser, replacement of a pipe which runs from the compressor, checking the system for any leakages & finally topping up of the refrigerant. But till date even after doing all of the above the cooling is just not good not even for the front passengers. The airflow seems reduced specially when compared to the car when new & the air which comes feels cool only near the vents.

I have got the whole system checked for cooling effectiveness from 3 or 4 different A/C wallas in the city but no one seems to have an idea. I've spent a hefty amount on all this but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2014, 22:40   #69
BHPian

Re: Problem with Palio A/C effectiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
The airflow seems reduced specially when compared to the car when new & the air which comes feels cool only near the vents.

I have got the whole system checked for cooling effectiveness from 3 or 4 different A/C wallas in the city but no one seems to have an idea. I've spent a hefty amount on all this but to no avail.

First of all check if the blower motor is working with full speed and highest speed position.
If the blower motor is running slow then check the resistor.

If the blower motor is working with full speed and even then the air flow is less then check for any leakage around the joints of the ducts.
Are you sure that the evaporator coil fins were not damaged while getting it cleaned ? If the fins are bent then the airflow and cooling will be reduced.

Was the refrigerant dryer changed ? If it was not then remove the gas, replace the dryer, fill the system with nitrogen, check for leaks, vacuum out the system for half an hour and then fill the gas by weight.
The correct amount(weight) of refrigerant will be mentioned on a sticker somewhere under the hood.

Also, check if the condenser fan is working properly.
Old 11th May 2014, 17:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Cleaning of Condenser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE
Can some BHPian here please upload a video of how to clean the condenser coils using pressurized water stream?
I dont get the condenser cleaned using pressurised water stream to avoid damage to the fins.
I just use pressurised air to clean the fins. Thats it.
Old 11th May 2014, 20:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got a Sanden 507 installed in place of the original one.
The airflow seems reduced specially when compared to the car when new & the air which comes feels cool only near the vents.
The 507 is a very very reliable compressor.

I presume you have ensured that the air is in the circulation mode and not fresh air mode.

Second , I also presume your air diverter is in its proper position -viz. throwing all air to the passengers and not being diverted to the feet or the windscreen.

Have you checked the lo and hi side pressures in the refrigerant circuit?
Old 12th May 2014, 08:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi I have a Palio 1.9 diesel. My car's A/C compressor malfunctioned around 2 years back & last year after not being able to find a OEM replacement compressor, I got a Sanden 507 installed in place of the original one. Now when the compressor was changed, a complete overhauling of the A/C system was performed i.e. ripping apart the dashboard, cleaning of the cooling coil, servicing & cleaning of the blower unit, cleaning of the condenser, replacement of a pipe which runs from the compressor, checking the system for any leakages & finally topping up of the refrigerant. But till date even after doing all of the above the cooling is just not good not even for the front passengers. The airflow seems reduced specially when compared to the car when new & the air which comes feels cool only near the vents.

Quick check. Turn off the AC, and start the blower only. Ensure air direction selector switch is set for passengers face .

Are passengers in the back seat able to feel the air draft? Do the same thing in a different Palio.

If there is weak air draft - then the problem is either with the blower motor itself, or air escaping from the ducting before it reaches the vent (relatively less probable - as these are built to last)

Get the blower unit taken out and have it serviced by a competent electrician. If the problem still does not go away check the ducting to the vents.
Old 11th July 2014, 17:36   #73
BHPian

Punto shudders with A/c ON. Need RCA on issue.

Since last 2 weeks seeing a difference in the engine note behavior when moving the vehicle from stationery. I will provide step wise and gve actual results. Request to share ideas pointers on how to resove the problem

Step1: Start car warmup engine went for a small drive,
Step2: Stopped car, engaged A/c in one of the mode and set a temp say 23 deg.
Step3: Engaged gear and released clucth with no throttle input.
Step4: Car shuddered and not smooth as it moved forward as though some thing is blocking the gearbox.
This shudder is there for a second. This is without load with myself alone in the vehicle./ no hand brake
Step5: Stoped car
Step6: Turned Off A/c
Step7: Engaged gear and released clutdh with no throttle input.
Step8: Car moved forward with no Shudder and smoothly, this is with with without load.

What could this be related to, Do we need to suspect of a premature clutch wear? Kindly help. Otherwise pick up is fine, throttle response is good with a/c. Kindly help

2012 january model
MJD Emotion 75 HP
Old 11th July 2014, 18:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto shudders with A/c ON. Need RCA on issue.

Why do you think there is something wrong? With AC on and the vehicle being tried to move from stationary without any accelerator input, I think it is normal for the car to shudder under the extra load on the engine. Does this shudder occur when you give a throttle input too? If there is no shudder with throttle input, then I don't think anything is wrong.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:01   #75
BHPian

Re: Punto shudders with A/c ON. Need RCA on issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Why do you think there is something wrong? With AC on and the vehicle being tried to move from stationary without any accelerator input, I think it is normal for the car to shudder under the extra load on the engine. Does this shudder occur when you give a throttle input too? If there is no shudder with throttle input, then I don't think anything is wrong.
Modern cars are designed to crawl upon release of clutch irrespective of load to engine, i did not experience this since i bought the car when i have done this n number of times. this looked like a discrepancy now, hence inquired here..

Most Viewed