Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 02:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to remove palio 1.2 elx headlight

I have tried to remove the headlight assembly of palio (old version) 1.2 elx with little success. The front bumper obstructs the removal of the headlight.

It looks like the front bumper has to be removed before the headlight can be removed.
Has anyone managed to remove the headlight without getting the bumper in the way?

Regards,
Old 25th December 2008, 12:13   #2

Dust inside the HL assembly

In order to clean the dust inside the left HL assembly, I also wanted to do same, but failed. Please throw the light on the problem.

Or is there any way/ trick to clean the dust inside the HL assembly. The front transparent plastic cover seems to have gap in it, which I as well as Tata Service Guy are unable to fit properly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th December 2008, 12:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dust might be getting inside through the rubber grommet that sits behind the reflector. If you manage to remove the headlight unit, best way to clean is to pour some liquid dish wash inside along with some water, shake the headlight unit as vigorously as possible so that the liquid does the clean up job. Rinse with fresh water and leave the lens to dry.

WORD OF CAUTION: Donot touch the reflector or use any other object like brush, cloth OR even fingers inside the reflector area. It will immediately get scratched!

Just plain ol liquid soap and water and then shake shake shake but careful so that you dont drop it.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:26   #4
BHPian

I would never ever let anyone pore water over the reflector. It could induce dimming of the reflective material. Since the new age cars have a plastic reflector coated with some metallic stuff, chances that this coaring might get peeled off too. In case of steel reflectors like in Jeeps and Ambassadors, the reflector gets rusted.

If you are interested in cleaning the relfector remove the bulk and push in a piece of cloth and use a stick or similar thing to wipe inside the refelctor. With some cases the clips which hold the HL lens could be removed to get the HL lens in hand. Now the cleaning job is far easier. While putting it back pour some Silicone gel around the lens-HL housing junction to avoid entry of dust in future.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I would never ever let anyone pore water over the reflector. It could induce dimming of the reflective material. Since the new age cars have a plastic reflector coated with some metallic stuff, chances that this coaring might get peeled off too. In case of steel reflectors like in Jeeps and Ambassadors, the reflector gets rusted.

If you are interested in cleaning the relfector remove the bulk and push in a piece of cloth and use a stick or similar thing to wipe inside the refelctor. With some cases the clips which hold the HL lens could be removed to get the HL lens in hand. Now the cleaning job is far easier. While putting it back pour some Silicone gel around the lens-HL housing junction to avoid entry of dust in future.
a) if the reflector is dirty you can wash with water and unless you use pressure wash the reflective coating will not come off.
b) yes if you dont dry completely before refitting eventually it will become dull over a period of time.
c) rust can be avoided if dried properly, in case of older metal reflectors.
d) Please donot touch the reflector with ANYTHING, it will scratch and dull more than water!

finally e) The above is from real life experience ruining multiple reflectors and finally getting it right

Ideally seal the reflector well, so that dust and water dont enter and make it dull, but if it becomes dirty best way is to wash with water and liquid soap mix, rinse, followed by a good drying.

The above is for reflector and glasses can be washed OR wiped clean with damp cloth but careful that you dont smudge the reflector while at it.

ps: for ancient/old reflectors peeling might be a reality due to the age factor.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:11   #6

How to remove?

Thanks for all the valuable inputs. But I can work on the suggestion only when I am able to remove the headlight, which I still can't.

Any one on the matter.
Old 7th January 2009, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

You cannot remove the headlamps of Palio unless you remove the front bumper - and don' think it is DIY job.
I had water in the head lamp - because the back cover was not fitted properly. I tried all the tricks mentioned here; net result - the water is almost gone, but there are scratches on the reflector and the beam alignment is not perfect. Even after getting the headlamp alignment checked at service station, there is a difference.
Recommendation by workshop - replace the whole unit!
Old 27th July 2009, 22:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Search Palio Users Group. Dr. Sunil Pullockaran (Fellow t-bhpian) has written in detail on how to remove the headlamp assembly, and open up the headlamp to remove the dust, and put everything back again, completely sealed so that dust and moisture won't enter again.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Search Palio Users Group. Dr. Sunil Pullockaran has written in detail on how to remove the headlamp assembly, and open up the headlamp to remove the dust, and put everything back again, completely sealed so that dust and moisture won't enter again.
Sorry, c-max - the post from Sunil does not mention "how to remove the headlamp" - it is more like "how to remove moisture from the headlamp and seal it watertight"'
To repeat my earlier point, you can't remove the headlamp without removing the bumper - unless you are some kind of an acrobat / contortionist / gymnast / blessed with simian quality limbs! You can easily unbolt the two bolts on the top of the lamp assembly; but there will be one left which is under the lamp and bolted to the wheel arch - it is a nut and bolt assembly, which will require very slim and dexterous hands to get unbolted.
I am suffering "water in headlamp syndrome" since the last two years. Only two things have had some impact in reducing the moisture inside - (a) for mild condensation use a couple of packs of silica gel; (b) for heavy condensation, you have to remove the headlamp, drain the water, dry out the moisture and repack the back cover tightly - a plastic cover in between the bulbs and the back cover helps (a trick which is posted somewhere).
The culprit seems to be the rubber lining on the back cover and / or missing black rubber vent on the back of the head lamp assembly.
The design of the lamp assembly and back cover seems to be cause of the problem - the projection on the back of the lamp should have been slightly longer and the groove on the cover should be more flush, with provision for the rubber lining being able to trap the water and drain it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks