Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 12:59   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Received a call today from my dealer (Auto MATRIX, M'lore) about a visit to get the software upgrade done. On asking, i was told that it's a software upgrade only. Told them the vehicle has been through it already, and has other upgrades done apart from the software upgrade. Asked them if this is something new, and they are yet to revert.

Has anyone else received a similar call, of late?
What is the month/year of manufacture of your Safari?
Old 25th November 2009, 13:24   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Retro-fitments

Guys - I own a July 2009 manufactured Safari and I am utterly confused about this whole retro-fitment business. To begin with, I read somewhere on this forum that all Safaris manufactured after May 2009 have all of the retro-fitments as stadard. However, mine did not come with the rubber ECU cover, which is one of the items on the RF list. This made me enquire about the availability of other items and I was told, by TM as well as the dealer, that all the other items are available on my Safari but for the ECU cover which was missed (for some reason) and will be fitted when I get my vehicle for 1st service.

Can someone post up a list of all changes done as a part of retro-fitment so that I can validate at least the physically identifiable ones (like the ECU cover)?

Also, if someone has sources in TM, can they post up a confirmed month/year of manufacture, after which all vehicles were fitted with these items as standard.

I would have settled down with the fact that TM will call me if my vehicle does need these RFs but then the missing ECU cover got me started digging deeper.

Regards,
Rahul
Old 25th November 2009, 13:28   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
My 2.2 is 20 mts old and 24k on the odo. Last week on my round trip of 1200 kms the braking is shuddering when applied at high speeds. I am suspecting the brake shoes in front are worn out. What is the avg life span of brakes in the 2.2?
Got the brakes checked at TASS. They said that pads were good enough tofr another 5-10k. There was some sand inthem and hence the issue. also the rear brakes were checked and adjusted. Now its all working well. Bill was Rs 265
Old 25th November 2009, 18:19   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
What is the month/year of manufacture of your Safari?
Hi, it's an April'08 manufactured model. Never mind though, as i had voluntarily got the retrofits done during the month of June/July, here in B'lore. And confirmed today that it's the same activity that they are undertaking now in M'lore.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:30   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys - I own a July 2009 manufactured Safari and I am utterly confused about this whole retro-fitment business...Can someone post up a list of all changes done as a part of retro-fitment so that I can validate...
Cool_dube,
The biggest change post upgrade, IMO, is engine response (power delivery) to the accelerator. It can't be missed even by untrained 2.2 vtt drivers. Go find a owner who has an upgraded Safari and take her for a spin then, compare the engine response against yours. If you can't find a willing owner in Bengaluru just drive ~860 kms north on NH-4 and I will let you spin mine while I drive yours. No proof is greater than a practical

Btw, belated congrats for your new beast . Hope I haven't wished you already... growing old everyday, keep forgetting things!

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 25th November 2009 at 19:34. Reason: fixed syntax error and compressed quoted msg
Old 26th November 2009, 12:07   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
The biggest change post upgrade, IMO, is engine response (power delivery) to the accelerator... Btw, belated congrats for your new beast . Hope I haven't wished you already... growing old everyday, keep forgetting things!
BJ - Thanks for the wishes. You are correct, I am interested mainly in the ECU re-flash resulting in the changed power delivery. I believe that before the upgrade, power delivery was not as linear and there used to be a significant 'pull' or 'surge' around 2000-2500 RPM band. However, with the new s/w, you have a more 'linear' power delivery wherein you get a more or less constant power delivered throughtout the RPM band.

The only two Safaris I can compare are mine and the one I TD-ed. I am sure I could feel the 'surge' in the demo vehicle whereas there is no such 'pull' I feel in mine, at least till about 2,200 RPM. Have not taken it above that due to run-in.

This is consistent with what TM and the dealer are telling me that all retro-fits are available on my Safari other than the ECU cover which I will get in the first service.

Coming back to the power delivery - though I prefer the earlier one, from a driving pleasure perspective, the revised one is more practical since you do not feel the turbo-lag nor does the vehicle feel under-powered at lower RPMs.

Which month/year is you vehicle? Do you have the retro-upgrades in place?
Old 26th November 2009, 12:15   #1507
Team-BHP Support

Regaring this ECU flash, the change in power delivery is not really significant. I have driven before and after, and there is no change. Infact the retro seemed to make the engine rougher, and dropped the mileage also.
The main reason for this software change is that some vehicles (including Jays, mine and many others) used to get service light on coasting.
Injector change was needed to solve this issue, and in some cases, even that did not work.

It was not a problem, but sensors used to think its a problem, hence the new software to take care of that.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:18   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
The only two Safaris I can compare are mine and the one I TD-ed. I am sure I could feel the 'surge' in the demo vehicle whereas there is no such 'pull' I feel in mine, at least till about 2,200 RPM. Have not taken it above that due to run-in.
Your experience is the very opposite of what I (and dadu) have experienced.

When I TD'ed ~ Oct 07, the vehicle had no Krrr... noise and no power surge - after the Turbo lag.

However the vehicle that I got (in Dec '07) had both. No amount of trying to convince TASS could get them to accept otherwise.

It is only now that after the EGR change and ECU re-flash have both issues been resolved to my satisfaction.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:23   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
It is only now that after the EGR change and ECU re-flash have both issues been resolved to my satisfaction.
Thanks kingshukt. Can you please elaborate on:

a. The entire list of retro-fitments (have still not got it despite multiple requests to the group)

b. Current power delivery trend
Old 26th November 2009, 13:12   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks kingshukt. Can you please elaborate on:

a. The entire list of retro-fitments (have still not got it despite multiple requests to the group)

b. Current power delivery trend
a. Retrofitments had started since 2008. So giving the full list of retrofitments is un-productive in your case, since your is a May / June 2009 vehicle.

The present retrofitments (viz: ECU reflash, ECU rubber cap...) have been 1st detailed by Dadu in his post in this same thread. Please use the search function.

b. I have not understood what you have meant by "Current Power delivery trend". Can you please explain ?
Old 26th November 2009, 13:37   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a. Retrofitments had started since 2008. So giving the full list of retrofitments is un-productive in your case, since your is a May / June 2009 vehicle.

The present retrofitments (viz: ECU reflash, ECU rubber cap...) have been 1st detailed by Dadu in his post in this same thread. Please use the search function.

b. I have not understood what you have meant by "Current Power delivery trend". Can you please explain ?
Mine is a July 2009 manufactured vehicle. I will serch the thread - thanks.

I meant the power delivery spread post ECU re-flash - I understand that this is biggest change post retro-fit. Do you have a turbo-lag, can you feel the 'surge' or is the delivery more or less linear, etc.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:45   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a July 2009 manufactured vehicle. I will serch the thread - thanks.

I meant the power delivery spread post ECU re-flash - I understand that this is biggest change post retro-fit. Do you have a turbo-lag, can you feel the 'surge' or is the delivery more or less linear, etc.
Post ECU Reflash, the power delivery is more or less linear. There is no power boost - after a lag as earlier. As I mentioned somewhere it is akin to a scorpio power delivery - linear and smooth. Turbo Lag is practically non-existant.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:08   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Somkin' Safari

How common is it to see black smoke being emitted under acceleration in the 2nd and 3rd gears ?

Is this an expected behaviour in Diesels ? or do I need to see the 'doc' ?

I have a doubt that the fuel is running a 'richer' mix after the ECU reflash they did as part of the retrofit.

thanks
Srini
Old 26th November 2009, 14:35   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post ECU Reflash, the power delivery is more or less linear. There is no power boost - after a lag as earlier. As I mentioned somewhere it is akin to a scorpio power delivery - linear and smooth. Turbo Lag is practically non-existant.
Thanks - this is precisely the info I was looking for. My Safari behaves exactly the same - linear power delivery witout any major 'spikes' or 'peaks'. Guess I do not need the retro-fit after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
How common is it to see black smoke being emitted under acceleration in the 2nd and 3rd gears ? Is this an expected behaviour in Diesels ? or do I need to see the 'doc' ? I have a doubt that the fuel is running a 'richer' mix after the ECU reflash they did as part of the retrofit.
Srini - any diesel will emit black smoke if subjected to hard/sudden acceleration. This is inherent diesel behaviour and I have seen good conditioned premium diesel vehicles (likes of Skoda Laura, Ford Endy, etc) behave the same way when belted like a petrol engine. Driving diesels is a different ball-game altogether and might take some time getting used to if you have been a petrol-head most of the time.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:37   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi, it's an April'08 manufactured model. Never mind though, as i had voluntarily got the retrofits done during the month of June/July, here in B'lore. And confirmed today that it's the same activity that they are undertaking now in M'lore.
Thanks. Could you provide me with a list of items you got done as a part of this retro-fitment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks