Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2017, 11:48   #6391
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My DIY repair of window winder on Driver side window failed in two months.I used Minda make winder. Shop owner says the failure is after one month of installation, so no replacement under warranty. This was second DIY winder replacement. The earlier one was on rear left window and working good since six months. Looks like I need to do DIY one more time. After six years, some things have started singing.
Old 28th September 2017, 07:55   #6392
AVR
BHPian

My 2.2 dicor seat belt reminder keeps coming on inspite of wearing them. It's been erratic and usually bad roads it comes on. It's pretty loud and irritating so looking for a solution. I pulled out the connector from a black wire connected to seat belt buckle but didn't change anything. Any quick suggestions? Its pretty loud and now it's causing marital issues because it's my wife's daily drive and I haven't been able to fix it. Help!
Old 18th October 2017, 21:54   #6393

How to flush the radiator of 2.2l dicor 2012 model safari? After opening up the flush valve at the bottom of the radiator, only 2-3 liter coolant came out and after adding that much fresh coolant, it gets topped up. Is there any other proper way to flush out the radiator/cooling system? Because I read somewhere that it should consume 9-10 liters of coolant when flushed properly. Experts please advise.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:45   #6394
BHPian

The wiper has failed in my Safari. Concorde told me it would cost Rs.26k for replacing the entire set of Wiper motor, Assembly and arms. The SA suggested that I try my luck with Pudupet where they will repair the components instead of changing the whole assembly.
Anyone who had done this here ?
Old 10th November 2017, 13:23   #6395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The wiper has failed in my Safari. Concorde told me it would cost Rs.26k for replacing the entire set of Wiper motor, Assembly and arms. The SA suggested that I try my luck with Pudupet where they will repair the components instead of changing the whole assembly.
@Prowler - get it checked else where.
At least in the Storme, the wiper motor costs about 7k. The motors on my Storme were getting stuck, hence was serviced thru external agency for about 2.5k

If the motor costs 7k, the arms also should not cost much.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 11:54   #6396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The wiper has failed in my Safari. Concorde told me it would cost Rs.26k for replacing the entire set of Wiper motor, Assembly and arms.
I don't know if this will help. The wipers on my Safari (2011) stopped working. They had not been used for some time and my parking was not covered.

I first checked the fuse, which was ok. Next I applied a little engine oil to the wiper crank linkages and the wiper spindles using an oil can. For the right hand (passenger side) wiper, the "leaf catcher" plastic tray below the wipers needs to be loosened for access.

After allowing some time for the oil to penetrate, I tried the wipers and they started to move very sluggishly at first, but soon picked up normal speed. That was all that needed to be done.

Since then I do operate the wipers a couple of times every few days. Needless to say, the windscreen should be wet before operating wipers.

Unfortunately, the service people never think of trying simple remedies like this any more.
MOHAN_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:12   #6397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Prowler - get it checked else where.
At least in the Storme, the wiper motor costs about 7k. The motors on my Storme were getting stuck, hence was serviced thru external agency for about 2.5k

If the motor costs 7k, the arms also should not cost much.
Thank you Condor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHAN_99 View Post
I don't know if this will help. The wipers on my Safari (2011) stopped working. They had not been used for some time and my parking was not covered.

I first checked the fuse, which was ok. Next I applied a little engine oil to the wiper crank linkages and the wiper spindles using an oil can. For the right hand (passenger side) wiper, the "leaf catcher" plastic tray below the wipers needs to be loosened for access.

After allowing some time for the oil to penetrate, I tried the wipers and they started to move very sluggishly at first, but soon picked up normal speed. That was all that needed to be done.

Since then I do operate the wipers a couple of times every few days. Needless to say, the windscreen should be wet before operating wipers.

Unfortunately, the service people never think of trying simple remedies like this any more.
Yes. The service people never bother about simple repair. They want to replace the whole assembly. I took it to an auto electrician and he opened it up. There was a plastic gear which meshes with the worm gear of the motor. That gear was replaced and the links were oiled. Now the wipers are back in action all for Rs.700/-

There was no rust in the wiper bay. You have to hand it to Tata - the steel they use doesn't rust so easily. They may have shoddy service - but their vehicles are built well. I have compared the wiper area with other vehicles in the FNG. Most cars have rust there. Touch Wood.
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:17   #6398
BHPian

My brother's 2.2L is having a strange problem. Once in a while the engine stalls. On cranking it starts up again, but everytime you press the clutch (to put in first gear), the engine stalls (even before disengaging the clutch). If you leave the car alone for 10-15 minutes, it starts and works magically. It is very difficult to reproduce the problem.

TASS has replaced the whole clutch assembly and flywheel <1000 kms ago.

Any idea what could be the issue? Thanks

Last edited by sprocket : 2nd January 2018 at 20:19.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:34   #6399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
My brother's 2.2L is having a strange problem. Once in a while the engine stalls. On cranking it starts up again, but everytime you press the clutch (to put in first gear), the engine stalls (even before disengaging the clutch). If you leave the car alone for 10-15 minutes, it starts and works magically. It is very difficult to reproduce the problem.

Looks like fuel pump motor. When motor gets cold, it begins to work again. Do also attach an obd reader to see if there are any errors reported in ecu. Any sensor may be playing also.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:05   #6400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHAN_99 View Post
Next I applied a little engine oil to the wiper crank linkages and the wiper spindles using an oil can.
For removing the rust and opening parts brake oil is better option then engine oil , DOT4 oil penetrates faster.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:00   #6401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There may be some issue with clutch switch, if Safari comes equipped with it.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 18:22   #6402
BHPian

I need to by new radiator grill for 2015 storme. The price in TASS is high. Can someone please suggest If I can buy it outside somewhere. like JC road in Bangalore or GB road in chennai at a lesser price.
Old 8th January 2018, 18:29   #6403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The clutch switch does not has anything to do with clutch replacement. It's location is behind the clutch pedal.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:32   #6404
BHPian

HI All,

I have a set of questions

1: What is more adviced when it comes to replacing the front & rear struts/Shock absorbers & coil spring?. Should I get them repaired or replaced. Not sure if coils can be tensioned again to its original state, but shock absorbers can be repaired. Only catch is the rear will be converted to an oil based, in-stead of original gas one.

2: Is it advisable to drive the vehicle for a stretch up to 5-6 Kms daily (one side) without pressing the accelerator & only shifting the gears till 4th or 5th whatever possible. I have observed that the Safari can "roll" comfortably on a speed of 30KM/H when in 4th gear with your foot nowhere close to the accelerator. It can go upto 50 KM/H on fifth under same scenario but eventually drops down to 40-42KM/H. Will this practice do any harm.

Before you come back to me with more question on why can't I accelerate on this section; The road in question here is the Hinjewadi PH3 road via mann gaon (Hinjewadi crowd may/will know it). It is under construction, but in a strange way. The Tarmac surface is still missing (started yesterday on some part near PH3). It is a very rough road, therefore I don't want to accelerate much, fearing damage to the tyre. I am ready to sacrifice my 10000KM driven tyres, in-stead of 3000 KM old clutch & pressure plate by using this section instead of usual road.

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 5th February 2018, 16:04   #6405
Senior - BHPian

Needed to carry 40 batteries of 15 kg at very bad roads for 3 days in Safari due to an urgent business delivery. Returned without any problems however when my brother took the vehicle for Goa drive the right rear wheel stud broke and the tyre started wobbling, he carried on like that at low speeds till he found a garage. Wheel studs were replaced and the wheel hub was bent slightly which was straightened at a lathe. Total cost 80 x 3 = 240 Rs for wheel studs and 300 Rs for Lathe job plus mechanic labour. Mine is a 2003 TCIC Safari @1,40,000 Kms.
mercedised is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks