Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 15:50   #751
Team-BHP Support

I checked tire pressure, front was 32psi, and rear was 35psi.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:54   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Two issues

Even when on internal recirculation every time I tail a truck or pass through a smoky/dusty area, strong smell of smoke etc., comes inside. TASS had asjusted some flap and said it will not happen again, but I still get lot of smoke inside(to the point of discomfort). Nowadays they are burning fields in PB, and every time you pass through a smoky section, there is small smell inside the car, enough to make you cough a bit and make your eyes water.
Is this normal? Is the safari air con system designed to let in outside air even when on internal recirculation?
They changed my recirculation switch or so last day when I complained about it.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:26   #753
Senior - BHPian

Another opening for the outside air is the handbrake, although they have rubber flaps covering the lever, but on high speeds, you can feel the warm air coming-in from between them, just keep your hands above the handbrake near the body end.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:18   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Truck went for 30k service today ...
I have a few questions.
Service advisor asked if brake pads have been replaced yet. I feel 28000kms is too early for brake pads to wear to a point of replacement. What is the average life of brakepads or replacement on a Safari ?
Is decarbonizing required at 28000kms? I dont see why? Service advisor suggested it, I declined.
I asked if I could Mobil 1. Was told that it will affect warranty. He asked me to speak to Tata motors before using Mobil 1 to clarify warranty status. Any comments/suggestions?
Are shock absorbers replaced under warranty at 28000kms ? Isnt Shock absorber wear at 28k too early?
Friends, Please advise.
Regards,
J
Hello J, here's my experience.
Safari 3.0 DICOR, bought new in November 2006, currently has 71.000 Km and is in for its 70K service.

Brake pads still original, still have some life left in them (I travel at 100Km/h = 60mph cruising speed, use engine brake and downshift a lot to slow down...)

Shock absorbers still original, having 2" (=5cm.) teflon tampons fitted to the rear and readjusting front torsion bar 4cm to raise truck 5cm overall.

Engine head does NOT need any decarbon/decoking at 70K, so why on earth should it need decarbon at 28k??? Just make sure you use low-sulphur diesel (not 0-sulphur... just keep it to a "normal low" dosage)

Tyres are the 4-groove Bridgestone Dueler 689, still original after 71000 Km, built 1005 = 10th week of year 2005... I admit it, they're becoming a little hard, friends warn me about riding on "plastic rathen than rubber" but they're behaving and so am I...
As I have just bought a new set of steel rims with offroad tyres, I will keep on using the "plastic wheels" in the summer (hot & dry) and revert to O/R tyres in the winter (very soft rebuilts) and change my Bridgestones next spring...

I reckon I might want to change them... sometime...
Old 29th April 2009, 15:32   #755
BHPian

Me too have similar experiences last month and i found out that my front driver side tyre presuure was 25 & co-driver tyre was having 32 psi & rear tyres as usual were on 35 psi..
But recently my mechanic told front center pin was loose.he also insist rear springs need to be over-hauled.my beast in running fine but is he wanna make money or are these serious issues tell me ...

[quote=tsk1979;1280125]Two issues
Last weekend I made a long trip to Amritsar.
On NH1 dual carriageway I was doing around 90-100kmph and I could feel the safari going left/right, as if slightly drifting, similar, but not as sharp , to tramlining.
I had to continuously give steering input to keep her in a straight line.
I remember when this happened on our 800, the front shocks had to be changed.
Is this expected behavior at that speed or the front shocks are gone?
Is there a way to check this. I tried pushing down the front, it comes back and does not oscillate.
There were very low crosswinds, nothing major
Old 29th April 2009, 16:17   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
Hello J, here's my experience.....Brake pads still original, still have some life left in them (I travel at 100Km/h = 60mph cruising speed, use engine brake and downshift a lot to slow down...)

Shock absorbers still original, having 2" (=5cm.) teflon tampons fitted to the rear and readjusting front torsion bar 4cm to raise truck 5cm overall.

Engine head does NOT need any decarbon/decoking at 70K, so why on earth should it need decarbon at 28k??? Just make sure you use low-sulphur diesel (not 0-sulphur... just keep it to a "normal low" dosage)
Hi,
Many thanks for the information. Well there has been a lot of fiasco with my Safari. It is currently at the workshop for service. Details are on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-9.html

Can you be kind enough to provide details about how to raise the truck height by 5cms? A few supporting pics too especially of the "teflon tampons".
Does this affect handling and steering in any way?

Thanks
J
Old 29th April 2009, 16:22   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hi,
Many thanks for the information. Well there has been a lot of fiasco with my Safari. It is currently at the workshop for service. Details are on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-9.html

Can you be kind enough to provide details about how to raise the truck height by 5cms? A few supporting pics too especially of the "teflon tampons".
Does this affect handling and steering in any way?

Thanks
J

Jay,
The 3.0 is lower than the 2.2, so raising it may give some advantage. I think there is a difference of about 10-20mm in the GC.

Raising the 2.2 will definitely impact the handling.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:33   #758
Team-BHP Support

Nope I don't think 3.0 is lower. In case 2.2 the GC column says (unladen) however in case of 3.0 the GC column says laden
Old 29th April 2009, 20:04   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post

Quick question. Are you able to use the existing sway/anti roll bars with this lift? This is something that I may consider if I get a Safari.

Jay:

This 5 cm lift kit can be ordered from the Tata club in Italy. See link below:

Tata Club Italia

This is is to increase the rear height. Front can be increased by adjusting the Torsion bars. This is the cheaper kit. The also have a more expensive kit with heavy duty springs and nitrous gas shocks.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th April 2009 at 20:07.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:58   #760
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well as per TM SS out here, as per the circular, use only normal diesel and no additives [even no STP or System D]

As such, after 1.5 years of Premium Fuel, I have changed back to normal diesel from a trusted pump. The acceleration felt the same, noise level ..hmmmm.. seemed to be very slightly higher but very unsure

So again after using around 4000 km of normal diesel, I am back to using Indian Oil Xtramile [premium diesel].

The engine sounded rougher and the pickup and smoothness was missing with the normal diesel - all subjective but thats what I like felt. And to justify my decision the last 1000 kms on premium diesel made the machine feel back to like what it was before.

So like it has been so long - premium diesel [only IOC] again...

Last edited by adc : 6th May 2009 at 13:02.
Old 9th May 2009, 20:34   #761
BHPian

Hi,

I gave my Safari 2.2 for service today at Concorde Motors , Mysore rd for 2nd service. Though my vehicle has run only 8k odd Kms, most of these commute was in city driving condition. This is pretty less mileage for a 9 mths old vehicle but I did not use this for 3 odd mths when I was out of country.

I did go for a oil change , Mobil delvac Mx(Rs 1670 for 8 litres). I'm facing a issue though. Last week I saw that the coolant level was below normal before I started my journey to Mangalore. So on the way, I topped this up at Concorde, Mysore rd.

Today, when the service engineer checked, it was way down. It required atleast 300 ml of coolant to fill it up. I would have travelled 800 Kms in this period. On further investigation, service engineer confirmed this is an issue with the water pump and promised to replace the water pump under warranty. This particular part was not available off the shelf and they have raised an order to procure this part and may take a week.

Has anyone faced an issue with the water pump. I have read Tanveer's issue which was related to coolant pipe. The service engineer did a visual inspection raising the vehicle on a ramp and concluded it is a water pump issue. My ques is how did he rule out it is not an issue with the hose connecting the coolant tank. How does a water pump could lead to this issue. Could anyone explain? The leak is slow. The temp gauge shows normal reading. Anyone foresee a problem with this leak in the normal city driving?
Old 9th May 2009, 21:14   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
The service engineer did a visual inspection raising the vehicle on a ramp and concluded it is a water pump issue. My ques is how did he rule out it is not an issue with the hose connecting the coolant tank. How does a water pump could lead to this issue. Could anyone explain?
Just a guess on the part of the mechanic. Could be wrong too!
The water pump can cause a slow leak if the mechanical seal is leaking a wee bit.
On the other hand, it could be a radiator leak, as in Tanveer's case. Mind you, the bent pipe was not the CAUSE of the leakage.
Old 9th May 2009, 21:30   #763
Team-BHP Support

Mystery of the disappearing coolant !!!

My brother faced the same problem and the culprit turned out to be a faulty radiator cap.
Old 9th May 2009, 21:32   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The water pump can cause a slow leak if the mechanical seal is leaking a wee bit.
This is exactly my point. Why din't they consider other smaller parts like seals or the hose before zeroing in on the water pump which i assume is a big component.

I have seen several issues in this forum where TASS quickly conclude it's an issue with the critical component and replace it but it later turns out to be something more basic.. The one easily jumps into my mind is the injector issue that Tanveer faced.
Old 9th May 2009, 21:37   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mystery of the disappearing coolant !!!

My brother faced the same problem and the culprit turned out to be a faulty radiator cap.
If it was the cap, were there no visible traces of coolant leakage around the cap? If it is not the top seal of the cap, the coolant will go to the expansion bottle. Is there anywhere else that coolant can disappear to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks