Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 20:18   #91
BHPian

Starter Trouble

I had this experience with the Starter of my 2.2, Thrice my engine would refuse to start, Checked the battery, and I could hear the "Click Sound" for the starter relay when I turned the key (so that was ok) and also the fuse was ok. Twice I called up the Helpline and after an agonizing wait , it was rectified on the spot by the mechanic, the third time there was a supervisor so when I asked him, he told me that one of the connections to the starter was a plastic quick disconnect and the same was coming loose due to the vibration especially during shut down. the same day I wrote to TATA and surprise..surprise, the next morning I received a call from Pune Factory enquiring the details of the problem and the day after the Rep & Mechanic from the Chennai Area office picked up the 2.2 to the wokshop and did the perm fix (actually the put a snug heat shrink cover on the rogue connector). But I too was surprised at the quick response from TATA very unexpected!!!
Besides now I do get better & quicker response when I drive into Manipal Service
She's done about 11k on the ODO and an April 08 purchase. the first problem happened at about 4.5k.
anybody else face this???
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 20:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

(1) The turbo lag is not there Turbo gets engaged at around 2K RPM,
May be the in test vehical accelerator had some play.
I did a TD of mHawk and safari 2.2 VTT both before buying and did not notice any sluggishness in either.

(2) About Lx/Ex and Vx in the same thread you can check my response
IMHO go for Vx if your budget permits and in case you want to save
money buy Lx . Lx / Ex feature comparison is on the same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post

Another thing I noticed during the TD (contrary to the first TD report between Scorpio and Safari which I posted at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...tml#post925065) is that there is a sluggishness before the engine picks up speed. One has to press the accelerator way down to make the car zip. Was it particular to this car? This was not there in Scorpio where there was no turbo lag at all and a light press would do. When I asked, the Han motors sales guy said that the turbo gets engaged only after 3k RPM which did not sound right to me because I thought the new VTT does not have the turbo lag. Any comments on this?
Hi,

A "keeda' of interior improvent and some DIY is biting me , The gear knob and break lever of Safari looks little unrefined so was thinking of changing them with a better looking and sporty one,

I tried removing the gear knob it does not open up by rotating it anti clock wise and I could not find any screw or nut either.

Can any one tell how to remove the OEM knob , I want to make sure that this is DIY job before actually buying a gear knob. If this is not DIY job I would be happy with OEM one as I have no intention to take the new vehical to any roadside mechanic using brute force method.

Regards

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd August 2008 at 11:28. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 minutes
Old 21st August 2008, 14:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
New problem found.
On tuesday evening I started the safari after a gap of more than 24 hours. So the car was cold.
The idle was erratic. The rpm needle kept on twitching.
Once the engine warmed up idle was smooth. Anybody else seen this?
I had parked my BEAR in Govind Ghat for 3 days and it started on the 4th day in a single self. There was no issue with the RPM needle either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Suspension Sound - Squeaking sound at 10-15 kmph speed on uneven roads.
This started after the recent heavy rains in Hyderabad. Cant hear it with windows rolled up. Altho this looks like it is a temporary issue, any quick fix for this one ??
I too am facing this issue. It happens but not always, when the car passes over some speed breaker or a bad stretch of road.

Do let us know if you find a solution to this.
Old 21st August 2008, 16:33   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I had parked my BEAR in Govind Ghat for 3 days and it started on the 4th day in a single self.
Harjeev,

Where is the travelogue filled with pics of VOF ?

Anything less detailed wont help.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Harjeev,

Where is the travelogue filled with pics of VOF ?

Anything less detailed wont help.
Hi I dint visit VOF as one of us got very sick because of the cold and we had to rush down to G.Ghat from Ghangriya.

Anyways I would be uploading the travelogue this weekend along with the pics.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:24   #96
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday she was parked in the sun, so the idling thing was very muted.
So only when engine is cold(for example parked in rain), the grr...grr...grr...grrr surging is there.
Tomorrow I will try out dynamic in sec 64 noida.
Since its warm, only if the computer diagnostics show something they will be able to figure out whats wrong, otherwise I will park the car for 2-3 days and ask them to send the mechanic home to witness the problem first hand.

Meanwhile lots of new squeaks have cropped up.
1. Rear seat squeaks
2. Steering column squeaks
3. Drivers seat squeaks
4. Dashboard squeaks
Front suspension chun chun has miraculously disappeared.
Power steering hiss has returned with a vengeance, with hissing sound coming sometimes in between turns much before lock position.
And last but not the least, yesterday while doing around 80-85 in fifth gear I momentarily smelt clutch. This never repeated.
This is what has me worried the most.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:53   #97
BHPian

8 months 25600kms

I have done 25600kms......I faced some problem on sunday when i drove down the hills from ooty.

1. There was a hissing noise from the engine area.
2. when i reached the plains and was driving slow near the police beat,The steering got very tight and almost jammed.I stopped and checked the tyre and found nothing. I called prerana,bangalore and then got in tough wit URS caarz,Mysore and they said they are sending a vechile to attend to the problem. But,i drove my car slowly there..... they checked and said they have to open the power steering pump. Then they said we can drive slowly.So,i drove to bangalore and half way through the steering was bit o.k.

i gave the car for service to prerana on monday

1.The A/C idealer bearing was worn out and hence the hissing noise. They said its recomended life is 25000kms and they changed it in warranty.

2.The steering tightness The pump air dummy has fallen off so due to down hills,heat, dust and moisture,It got harder.So,they changed the air dummy/nipple and cleaned it and the problem was solved.It was late when i picked up the safari.I asked them to show the a air dummy that they have replaced and they said they dont have a new one to show.

No expense and all in warranty.

So,my Safari is back in action now.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:31   #98
BHPian

1 year service update

Quite a few problems had cropped up when I gave my Safari 3.0 for service yesterday. Prerana seems to have solved most of them.

* Clutch slippage @ 2000RPM on 4th and 5th gears: This was most worrisome, noticed it just last week on a highway trip. Never got a chance to hit 80 kmph in the city. The RPM would simply rise rapidly to upto 3000 without any increase in speed when I would try and accelerate at 4th and 5th gears. But if I do it slowly enough, the speed would inch all the way upto 140 without problem.
Solution as per Prerana: Air had crept into the hydraulic clutch and they bled it. Now it seems to be fine.

* Lots of black smoke when I accelerate a little hard: Cleaned the cat, air filter and checked the codes, seems to be okay now.

* Rear door had got very tight: Realignment of the hinges and now it is fine.

* Inside door panel rattling: Fixed for now, but it seems to be coming back in a day.

* Liquid spot below the engine bay whenever I park it: Coolant seems to be leaking slightly - fixed.

* Underbody rattling on rough roads: Tightened the engine cover (skid plate?) and refitted the front suspensions

* Notchy gear shift: Replaced the gear box oil - seems to have worked.

Most problems solved, am going to hit the highway this weekend to recheck the clutch problem. Total cost of 1st year service <Rs 500. :-)
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:07   #99
Team-BHP Support

Tata owners manual recommends revving at full throttle in idle once a day to keep cat con healthy. I do this occaisonally. Just rev her up to 3500-4000rpm a couple of times in neutral
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:19   #100
BHPian

crash Guard & Safety issues????

Guys, I had this naging doubt which I wanted to clear before installing a crash guard!!
Willa a front Bull Bar affect any safety system like the collapsible steering on the Safari? I have an EX so you can count out the SRS airbags.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it will interfere with the front crumple zones and the steering collapse incase of a major accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Guys, I had this naging doubt which I wanted to clear before installing a crash guard!!
Willa a front Bull Bar affect any safety system like the collapsible steering on the Safari? I have an EX so you can count out the SRS airbags.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:05   #102
BHPian

Hi guys
The truck has done 7000 kms since May 20th and the going has been quite ok barring a few squeaks, a/c fuse blowout etc.
Couple of days back the encountered the following:
A loud "ghad ghad ghad" sound on turning the steering fully to left lock position. Visited Manipal service today morning, it turned out that the locking (stopper)bolt had become loose. The guys fixed it in 5 mins and the sound has gone for now. However the hissing sound on turning the steering to lock levels os normal according to the service supervisor.
While at the station got to the see the Indica vista demo car that was being readied to be taken to the showroom. Must say that the car is a stunner, fit and finish levels have improved considerably, the front headlight cluster looks great.The car has a neatly laid out MJD powerplant. Pity that i did not have the time to take her for a spin though.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividisha View Post
Hi Guys,
I went through a good spot of trouble with my beast yesterday and wanted to sound off the problem to you guys before I called up manipal. Well here it is -

Its very usual of me to switch off my beast - or at least just have the audio system on - when I am standing at a long traffic signal ( more than 100 secs ). yesterday - twice - when I switched it off - once completely and once partially so that the audio still plays - the beast wouldnt start back again. No response when cranking the key, no unlock and lock buttons working. My keyless is the basic 3 button pirhana that the manipal guys fitted in. First I tried - what Dadu had tried when something simillar had happened to him before - that is, press the unlock button, but not even a single button on the pirhana was responding. next I opened the pirhana manual and tired to disarm the vehicle - press '*' for 3 seconds and then '*' again in the next 3 seconds...after 15-20 minutes of doing something or the other - it started. Next time - this lasted for about 30 minutes, and the funny thing was - in all these cases, nothing worked, not even the hazard lights came on - in the second time, when I opened and closed my door - the hazard light came on - but when I put the key in the lights on teh dashboard would just flash and then everythingw as OFF. I kept trying all possible combinations in the pirhana key in desperation and finally after 30 minutes or so, it came to life almost miraculously. Given that this happened in Bangalore, folks in bangalore can imagine, the kind of abuses I had to hear being stranded on the road with nothing working. I came home, without switching off my beast even for a second.

Guys, have any one of you ever faced this or heard anyone facing this ? Also what are your suggestions ? Would really appreciate any help you guys can give.

PS: I just had the change of the pulley at manipal's 2 weeks back !! That was the only significant change happening in my beast.
I too faced this problem off late. initially I thought there some fuse problem since whenever this happened to me either the car would automatically come to life or when i was trying to touch the fuses it come to life. But later when I was on Gwalior highway and stopped the car to have some tea. when tried to start everything went off, This time it was not coming to life. Called up Sterling in Noida. (i didn't had the book but their numbers) , they were redirecting me to nearest service station, but when told that I was still 50 kms away from gwalior a service executive was called on phone. I was told that the problem is in central locking system, So i asked what should I do to bypass security system, he told me to disconnect security system from the battery. While doing taht, the car suddenly came to life. So the problem found to be connection with the battery. So now everytime this problem happens I used to hit the battery terminal by screw driver it use to come to life.

Later i cleaned up the battery terminal which had a carbon sedimentation on it. Howver I am still facing these issue, and planning to use the battery warranty to replace it.

Note: In between when the engine is running, the battery connection resets, I know since my stereo restarts and I feel a jerk while driving. + voltage fluctuation in headlamp.

Anyone else has noticed this, any suggestion for the possible solution other than replacing battery.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Just rev her up to 3500-4000rpm a couple of times in neutral
I think its electronically limited to 3250 on Neutral. The damn thing has different limits on each gear, neutral included.

This could be the 3.0 - 2.2 may have different limits.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:50   #105
Team-BHP Support

I saw needle crossing 3500 when I revved, so I don't think the 2.2 is limited so early.
Normal driving has seen me doing 3000rpm atmost

Most Viewed