Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Tachometer Installation In An MPFI Gypsy King

Guys,

I've bought an Autogauge tacho for my new Gypsy King. My bad, as i did not bother reading the wiring instructions prior to purchase, all it reads is connect the wore to the original tacho lead of the vehicle's ECU.

I am however stuck without a clue on how to connect it to the ECU as the Gypsy never came with a tacho.

I tried reaching out to Maruti to verify if the ECU layouts for the esteem & the gypsy are identical, but MUL being MUL there has been no response.

Any help on this/ pin layout/ wiring diagram would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Old 26th September 2008, 13:44   #2
BHPian

Hi Satan,
Any tacho would need a +12V from the key on, ground and the rev signal. There should be a crank position sensor (CPS) which you could locate easily. Search for it around the bell-housing. The sensor will be having 3 leads. 1 for +12V, other for ground. Ther third one will be the signal out. Your tachometer has to be connected to this signal lead. Power your tacho and try this out. Do let me know if the tacho reads porperly. At idle, the tcho should read around 725 too 800 rpm.
Good Luck
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2008, 15:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Satan,
Any tacho would need a +12V from the key on, ground and the rev signal. There should be a crank position sensor (CPS) which you could locate easily. Search for it around the bell-housing. The sensor will be having 3 leads. 1 for +12V, other for ground. Ther third one will be the signal out. Your tachometer has to be connected to this signal lead. Power your tacho and try this out. Do let me know if the tacho reads porperly. At idle, the tcho should read around 725 too 800 rpm.
Good Luck
For the first time i have read a post about someone who really know s about tachometer s(other s who know have t shared this). Sir please let me know how can i hook up a tacho to my quali s which never came with a tacho in the first place is it possible to do it from the alternator ?? Or how do i go about any prescribed brand which shall match the quais ' engine ?
Regard s
SAajAn

Last edited by m-hawk : 26th September 2008 at 15:35.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:08   #4
BHPian

Hello Saajan, First of all I know just a little about tachos. And it is not that trivial to hook up a tacho for an engine which does'nt have an ECU, and can end up expensive too. Ok, lets check for feasibility. See if you alternator has got a WL terminal. Usually the model name/ number for the alternator will be visible. Check the net for its specs. If yours is Lucas-TVS alternator check here. Lucas - TVS - Products - Alternator. For example an alternator with the model number a115 Lucas - TVS - Products - 12V Alternator will have a terminal for speed sensing. If such a speed sensing output is available your job is already half done. Else you will have to replace your alternator with one with a WL output, unless otherwise you find an electritian who can rip apart the existing alternator and get you a WL ( speed sensing) lead for you. If this gets done, then all you have to do is to buy a tacho from a vehicle whole pulley ratios are same as in Qualis..Not easy again.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Satan,
Good Luck
Sorry dute, I have mislead you in connecting the signal wire. It needs to ve connected to the wire signalling the ignition coil. Please apologize me in case it case caused you any trouble by following the above said procedure.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:44   #6
BHPian

Hi Satan,
What is the make of your tacho. Here is a procedure which I followed to install my tacho.

There should be 4 wires... Red, Black, Yellow and Green on tacho.
Here is the procedure.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. Connect Red wire to your parking light 12V source for lighting your taco up when you switch on the parking lights.
3. Black one is the earth wire. Connect it to any earth point on the body.
4. Yellow goes directly to your 12V Battrey +ve terminal.
5. Green one goes to the -ve point of your ignition coil.

If you do not find the same set of wires, try consulting your user manual or installation manual.

Try this and you will surely have one awsome device torqueing you up and your king.
911turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2009, 09:34   #7
BHPian

hi!
i installed a tacho for my friend recently. She has a type 2 esteem
The tacho was a one with a shift light. Forgot the brand!
but the installation was pretty easy1
@911turbo: the wiring was a bit different!(i mean the colours)
The red lead goes to the +ve terminal of the battery!
The yellow one goes to the rear parking light.
The green wire goes to the -ve terminal of the ignition coil
and i think the black/yellow striped wire is grounded to the chassis.
I heard that you can tune the tacho using the ac power source. apparently 50hz of the mains is equal to 4500 rpm (for a 4 cylinder engine)
Old 31st March 2009, 14:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
hi!
i installed a tacho for my friend recently. She has a type 2 esteem
The tacho was a one with a shift light. Forgot the brand!
but the installation was pretty easy1
@911turbo: the wiring was a bit different!(i mean the colours)
The red lead goes to the +ve terminal of the battery!
The yellow one goes to the rear parking light.
The green wire goes to the -ve terminal of the ignition coil
and i think the black/yellow striped wire is grounded to the chassis.
I heard that you can tune the tacho using the ac power source. apparently 50hz of the mains is equal to 4500 rpm (for a 4 cylinder engine)
Have a autogauge tacho with shift light.
Tried installing it on my Carb gypsy pretty mush the way you mentioned but the needle flicks for a second and then comes back slowly, as if it got charged on attaching the green wire to _ive terminal of the Coil and now its time to discharge.Since then have kept it as it is.
Dont know how to proceed.
Has any one know of any such issue with Tachos? / What should be the right way to install it on 98 carb gypsy??
Helpful inputs shall be appretiated.
Old 31st March 2009, 15:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...meters-13.html

check from post 181
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Hey Thanks Amit, was really helpful.
Tried changing the point on Coil and it showed some reading.
Hope was attaching wrong point earlier.
Is there any clear demarcation of polarity of coil points?
Howto identity the -ive point.
Another imp. thing i observed and would like to confirm that with engine running touching that"-ive" point gives a sensation of ~AC current passing through. Is that normal or is it any surge flowing throught the circuit. If i could feel that weak AC signal it would actually be quite strong in deed in the tunes of some +- 110V. My Question is what should be the input signal's voltage??
Old 12th May 2009, 01:36   #11
BHPian

No need to connect the rpm meter to an ecu, its easy to fix, just need to connect wire to the ignition coil. The remainig wires are main, ground, and sometimes memory to store your last shift light set.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hey Thanks Amit, was really helpful.
Tried changing the point on Coil and it showed some reading.
Hope was attaching wrong point earlier.
Is there any clear demarcation of polarity of coil points?
Howto identity the -ive point.
Another imp. thing i observed and would like to confirm that with engine running touching that"-ive" point gives a sensation of ~AC current passing through. Is that normal or is it any surge flowing throught the circuit. If i could feel that weak AC signal it would actually be quite strong in deed in the tunes of some +- 110V. My Question is what should be the input signal's voltage??
there is a clear demarkation on the coil atleast on alto. i think it must be on every coil. dont touch the coil with engine running. it has high current flowing through it. ask the mechanic which is the negative point if demarkation is not there. in my thread the point below the centre on the coil is negative. you can post the pic of your coil here so that we can help in identification of the - on the coil
Old 1st August 2013, 17:50   #13
BHPian

Re: Tachometer Installation In An MPFI Gypsy King

Hey,
Just wanted to ask if its possible to find a tachometer for my 1995 Gypsy. Better if it can be found online, since where I live there aren't many options to buy from. I have heard AUTUGAUGE in a lot of places. Do they have a online ordering system ? Or can I source it from one of the bigger cities?
Many thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks