Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 13:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Costs about 2k for the belt & the bearings.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezhun View Post
I went to the garage. The suspensions need replacement. I was told only the front 2 need replacement. Is this OK?

The timing belt is being replaced. The engine mounting is also under the lens. I am getting the windshield changed at Windshield Experts. The exhaust mountings will also be corrected.

I am hoping this will correct most issues!! Man, there is so much I need to learn about cars!!!
When u said suspension - which parts were you referring to ? im keenly watching this thread becos of similar vintage OHC that I own

was there any test done to check whether those suspension parts have given away ?

thanks
Old 10th August 2008, 20:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
When u said suspension - which parts were you referring to ? im keenly watching this thread becos of similar vintage OHC that I own

was there any test done to check whether those suspension parts have given away ?

thanks
If your car has done above 80k + kms then you will have to be ready t shell out the some money on suspensions...
Old 13th March 2009, 09:19   #19
BANNED

better place to refresh OHC in chennai

which is most fav place in chennai for refreshing OHC which is done about 95k km. thanks.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:03   #20
BHPian

im in the same situation...

getting my

1> suspension overhauled
2> brakes overhauled
3> AC compressor changed
4> tyres upsized [13" - 15"]

and if possible:

5> Changing all the rubber [door seals and the like] parts.
6> Rewiring the car.

just waiting for that god damned bonus to come in.
Old 28th July 2017, 15:12   #21
BHPian

10 year old Swift Restoration Project

Going to need a lot of help from fellow bhp'ians, mods please merge this thread with relevant ones if needed. I did some exhaustive scouting and was unable to find the right thread. So, after discussions across multiple threads, I've decided to finally restore my 2007 Red Swift Vxi back to its old glory. I'm yet to come across any Swift Restoration Project yet and I'm just a hardcore enthusiast but in no way a tech guru. I'm looking forward to insightful information from the experts in the forum.

For a car that has done 90000 km's in 10 years, what all are the elements that need to be looked into during its mechanical and electrical restorations? Some of my basic observations below -

1)White smoke emission while starting - I've taken the car to multiple garages without a solution. Smoke emission is massive if the car lies unused for few days. However, it comes down drastically if used regularly. White smoke is a prominent fixture while starting the car in the morning. For a petrol car, does this mean I will most likely have to open up the engine? What can be the issues?

2)Clutch has almost worn out, the car gives shudders at lower speeds, disengages at a very low release.

3)Accelerator gets stuck while pressing the pedal, you have to release and press again

4)Clanking noise from front left suspension set up - I've been trying to get this fixed but again in vain. It works okay after a regular service for approx 200 kms and the problem starts all over again.

5) A lot of engine noise, rough to drive, slow acceleration and low top end. It's such a struggle to even reach 100. Car vibrates at post 100 speeds (Tyres??). And yeah, a hell lot of rattle!

Alright everyone, so you now know the almost sorry state of affairs but I'm not giving up! Now that I envisage to bring the car back to stock condition, how do you suggest I go about the restoration? Problem no:1 remains on top of the list and that will again need detailed inspection.

I was thinking of replacing the entire suspension set up, both front and back. Can someone help with details on what parts need to be replaced while going for a detailed mechanical restoration?

Additionally, is it possible for me to replace the driver seat with a height adjustable variant? I would also like to change the background display lights from orange to white, is this feasible? Well, these are all minor queries though. My biggest concern remains the mechanicals. I will be looking at the cosmetic side as soon as these restorations are complete.

Last edited by RSM_TorqueZoner : 28th July 2017 at 15:34.
Old 28th July 2017, 16:21   #22
BHPian

Re: 10 year old Swift Restoration Project

I am sure you are going to enjoy restoring the car to its glory and above all you are going to learn a lot and get to know your car a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
1)White smoke emission while starting - I've taken the car to multiple garages without a solution. Smoke emission is massive if the car lies unused for few days. However, it comes down drastically if used regularly. White smoke is a prominent fixture while starting the car in the morning. For a petrol car, does this mean I will most likely have to open up the engine? What can be the issues?
There are a few simple tests that you could do by yourself to find out if engine has any issues-
a. Check the tailpipe - if it has too much oily or sticky substance (gooey) then engine might need some work
b. Check the tip of spark plugs (if you have a plug spanner) to see if it has oil residue at its tip which again indicates some work in engine.
c. Check the oil level in the dipstick for any drastic variations
d. Open the oil filler cap and check for heavy sludge build up.

Even if the engine needs work, I would suggest to get the half engine work done at Maruti.

Quote:
2)Clutch has almost worn out, the car gives shudders at lower speeds, disengages at a very low release.

3)Accelerator gets stuck while pressing the pedal, you have to release and press again
Essential replacements considering the age of car and usage. Replace it.

Quote:
4)Clanking noise from front left suspension set up - I've been trying to get this fixed but again in vain. It works okay after a regular service for approx 200 kms and the problem starts all over again.
Could be a simple lower arm replacement or just the bushes in the lower arm. Depends on efficiency of mechanic. Service center would recommend replacement.

Quote:
5) A lot of engine noise, rough to drive, slow acceleration and low top end. It's such a struggle to even reach 100. Car vibrates at post 100 speeds (Tyres??). And yeah, a hell lot of rattle!
Half engine work recommended.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 16:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
1)White smoke emission while starting - I've taken the car to multiple garages without a solution.
If no one is ready to work how will you conduct repair works? First search for a competent garage, where both the mechanic and electrician will be available.

Quote:
For a car that has done 90000 km's in 10 years, what all are the elements that need to be looked into during its mechanical and electrical restorations?
All means All in a 10 years old car case (my doubt is up to crank bearings). Each and every part of engine from tappet cover to chamber bottom to be opened and inspected. Do not disturb Gearbox, if there is no problem.

Contact Bhpian Leoshashi & a4anurag for help. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...st-pg-1-a.html
Old 28th July 2017, 17:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Classic symptoms of Valve Stem Oil Seals inside the engine head gone bad. Combined with your other problems, you probably will have to overhaul the entire engine.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 17:34   #25
BHPian

Thank you, everyone, and from the responses, it does look really close to an engine surgery! I've had garage guys tell me the cost could be anywhere between 20K - 40K for an engine job and that they could give me the exact figure only after opening it up. Not quite sure how to approach the situation. Additionally, do you suggest an authorized garage work on the engine or will I be better off with a good local one? I'm doing the hunt tomorrow.
Old 28th July 2017, 19:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
do you suggest an authorized garage work on the engine or will I be better off with a good local one?
Getting the job done at an experienced Maruti garage will give you service warranty by default. On top of it you could escalate grievances if at all anything goes wrong. If you prefer local garage, please ensure they are professionals and not just a garage. Hope you get it.
Old 28th July 2017, 22:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, and from the responses, it does look really close to an engine surgery! I've had garage guys tell me the cost could be anywhere between 20K - 40K for an engine job and that they could give me the exact figure only after opening it up. Not quite sure how to approach the situation. Additionally, do you suggest an authorized garage work on the engine or will I be better off with a good local one? I'm doing the hunt tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Getting the job done at an experienced Maruti garage will give you service warranty by default. On top of it you could escalate grievances if at all anything goes wrong. If you prefer local garage, please ensure they are professionals and not just a garage. Hope you get it.
Rather than overhauling, I'd recommend a replacement of half engine kit. But first make sure that the engine needs to be overhauled.

I agree it'd be expensive and the price difference compared to an overhaul will be approx 10k, but that'll be well worth it. Your engine will be as good as new, as the unit comes factory torqued.

Part No: 10100M75J00
Name: HALF ENGINE SWIFT PETROL 1300CC
Price: Rs. 30805

Add around 5-6k as the labour at MASS, and you are looking at a brand new engine. Do change the water pump and other ancillaries. Also get the head checked and cleaned before installation.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 22:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2007 Red Swift Vxi...
For a car that has done 90000 km's in 10 years...
No big deal. My 2006 Swift Zxi runs reliably at 106,000 km, with nothing much required except a lot of pending bodywork and paint. Hate the rather delicate sheet metal all around, but have learnt to ignore it. Where one expects a mild scratch from a bicycle handle, one gets a grooved dent!
Quote:
1)White smoke emission while starting - What can be the issues?
Blown head gasket, most likely. A couple of hours' job to replace. Cheaply done at any FNG - maybe 1500-2000 INR.
Quote:
Short life of clutch is a common problem, especially in city traffic. Mine never seems to last beyond 30-40k km (but then, it's strictly driven in the city, and my daughter learnt to drive in it). Replace the friction plate + pressure plate + release bearing. Have the flywheel faced or replaced. Will cost you around 5-7k.
Quote:
Replace the accelerator wire and clean + lubricate the throttle cam and spring. Costs peanuts.
Quote:
4)Clanking noise from front left suspension set up... It works okay after a regular service for approx 200 kms and the problem starts all over again.
Busted front strut bearing / bush kit. Costs about 800-1000 for the parts and another 500 or so as labour, for each side. Get both sides done together.
Quote:
5) A lot of engine noise, rough to drive, slow acceleration and low top end. It's such a struggle to even reach 100.
Probably to do with the leaking head gasket. Check after repair.
Quote:
Car vibrates at post 100 speeds (Tyres??). And yeah, a hell lot of rattle!
Vibration probably has to do with unevenly worn tyres, and / or bad alignment / balancing. New tyres do wonders to the car (any car!). Rattles from the body were a trademark of the first-gen Swift. Try damping the doors, tailgate and rear seat by glueing on lots of rubber sheets. The sheet metal is paper-thin and tends to flex over rough roads.
Quote:
Additionally, is it possible for me to replace the driver seat with a height adjustable variant?
The ZXi has a mechanically height adjustable seat. Direct fit to the Vxi.
Quote:
I would also like to change the background display lights from orange to white, is this feasible?
Don't do it. Reddish / orange display lights preserve your night vision better than bright white light. It's also not a good idea to open up an old dashboard - the electronics is delicate, and you just might end up with something not working after the modifications. Incidentally, all the gauge needles work with micromotors, and one might just end up messing up a soldered wire somewhere.

Good luck with your restoration. Some pics and a video of the smoke emission would be welcome.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th July 2017 at 22:43.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 23:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Regarding point 5,
Is this issue there with both ac on and off?
Like you said, try wheel balancing, rotation etc. Sometimes you may even need a new set of wheels
Check all filters etc for clogging

On a more positive note, I've always regretted buying an indica instead of a swift 10 years ago, and have always whined about all it's issues. But now i know it's no different in the swift camp (ps: my car is facing a very similar set of issues, with the only upside being that it hits 80 easily, and then somehow manages to reach 120.
My vibrations have been diagnosed as a combination of faulty AC compressor bearings and tired engine mounts
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 12:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Rather than overhauling, I'd recommend a replacement of half engine kit. But first make sure that the engine needs to be overhauled.

I agree it'd be expensive and the price difference compared to an overhaul will be approx 10k, but that'll be well worth it. Your engine will be as good as new, as the unit comes factory torqued.

Part No: 10100M75J00
Name: HALF ENGINE SWIFT PETROL 1300CC
Price: Rs. 30805

Add around 5-6k as the labour at MASS, and you are looking at a brand new engine. Do change the water pump and other ancillaries. Also get the head checked and cleaned before installation.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Shashi, Thank you so much for this great input. I spoke with the service manager and he says the half engine kit forms the lower portion, the head will have to be opened up, either way, to understand what the issue is. Repairing the engine could go upto 50K according to his estimate, exact issue can be found only upon opening up the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks