Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 13:00   #31
BHPian

I have a 2007 Tata Indigo GLS petrol done 29900 KMS. Of late the steering oil is reduced to empty within a month amounting to a rack replacement. The car is showroom smooth with no other suspension, clutch or engine related problems. The original tyres need replacement since they have developed cracks in the treads. A new battery has been installed this week since I want to use the car for a few months more. There are some visible rust spots on the roof. Is it a worthwhile idea to restore the car by repaint? Can I remove the power steering and switch to normal rack?
Old 5th August 2017, 15:07   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 10 year old Swift Restoration Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
Hi Shashi, Thank you so much for this great input. I spoke with the service manager and he says the half engine kit forms the lower portion, the head will have to be opened up, either way, to understand what the issue is. Repairing the engine could go upto 50K according to his estimate, exact issue can be found only upon opening up the engine.
Yes, first determine the issue. You can also make sure about the engine's health by performing wet and dry compression tests. This won't need dismantling the engine.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 16:22   #33
BHPian

Re: Want to spruce up an older car

My Swift Vxi is almost 10 years old and has nearly 1.5 lac km on the odo. I've had no problems with this car so far and it does triple digit speeds on the highway without much of a struggle. Mileage is about 10.5 to 11.5 in the city and a consistent 15.5 on the highways. If I were to keep it for another 2 years by the end of which I would probably have run it almost 2 lac km, what precautions should I take? Is better to get a half engine job done right now before I really need to?
I have pretty much killed the shock absorbers so those will have to be replaced, I suppose.
The entire car was repainted in 2014 and it has no scratches or dents on it apart from the bumpers.

Last edited by Roy.S : 5th August 2017 at 16:24.
Old 5th August 2017, 20:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Can I remove the power steering and switch to normal rack?
Can't the rack be overhauled? Check with a mytvs near you
Old 27th March 2018, 12:06   #35
BHPian

Digging a old thread on overhaul/sprucing up.

I have a Honda Zxi (2006) which I have been using since 2014, it is about 88k kms now, I got it from my brother in law in 2014 and it was in poor state that time. Thereafter got the following things done:
1) Re-painting from 3M in Borivali
2) Serviced the car locally, mostly at a 6 month interval
3) Recently serviced the car in December through a local mechanic

Off late the car seems to be making funny sounds in the morning. Shades of rust have crept in at the edges and there seems to be a lag and lack of confidence while braking or revving seems prevalent.

To date I haven't taken the car to an authorised service station, but am now very eager to do a complete overhaul of sorts before the monsoons. The likes of TV shows - 'overhauling' and 'pimp my ride' have left a lasting impression on my mind.

Remember, I plan to keep this car as long as I can, therefore making sure it runs well, looks a stunner and me feeling extremely confident behind the wheels in top priority.

Do let me know an authorised station in Mumbai where I wont be fleeced for unwarranted repairs which most of the service stations do (by playing on the emotional psyche of a lay man)!

I hope to hear from you soon.
Old 30th March 2018, 13:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
and there seems to be a lag and lack of confidence while braking or revving seems prevalent.
Maybe get an engine compression test done from your mechanic to see if the results are within spec. 88k is not a lot for a Honda engine at all though, but still worth checking.
Old 30th March 2018, 14:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post

Do let me know an authorised station in Mumbai where I wont be fleeced for unwarranted repairs which most of the service stations do (by playing on the emotional psyche of a lay man)!

I hope to hear from you soon.
A lot of A.S.C. will fleece you by adding unnecessary items to the bill - you need to be careful of the same, and understand what is being done for what.

Alternately, Mumbai has a lot of reputed independent mechanics - check out the Team BHP Directory for some recommendations. Maybe show the car to one or two folks and get different quotes and their understanding of what could be wrong before going ahead with the one who's most logical and most comfortable to deal with.

Most Viewed