Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:27   #31
BHPian

imagine doing 160kmph on a completely worn out set of tyres in the rain, i did it !! thanks to the ABS installed in my verna.
no matter what condition the tyres are in they just wont lock up. yes braking distance will be poor when the tyres are bad,..but control speakes for itself!!
ABS is a must for powerfull cars no doubt .
the control is what matters , i speed like anything and while overtaking other cars i do brake hard and in a normal manner get back into the track.
its all with the mind set! believe in ABS system for its control!! dont think that it can break laws of physics and reduce the braking distance drastically, but the control is to die for, i can vouch that ABS is the sole reason that i am still alive after taking my car to a insane 220kmph!!
and yes i have goten into situations while at 30-40kmph, and an auto just took a u turn into my line!!! i just jam the brakes and WITHOUT LETTING GO OFF the pressure on the brake pedal, steered the car out of the autos way!!, the lancer behind me went off road he jammed the breakes and i felt that my rear will be over!! luckily he steered off road..hihi.
so yeah my advice to those fellows with ABS and especially those with ALL round disck setup!! have a look at the rear view mirrors[center and left and right] and then jam the brakes , the ABS equipped car drivers over a period of time always gets tuned to applying the brakes hard!!.
so watch out when you drive a non ABS car suddenly after driving a ABS car for a long time.
thr ground rule is ABS unit has got no intensions of reducing breaking distance!! it works on logic of speed sensing!!, meaning irrespective of tyre condition , road condition etc etc, the unit prevents wheels from locking up when braked hard!![ even at cost of increasing breaking distance!!
so think twice before trying anything drastic on an ABS equipped vehicle.
sameel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 12:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

I believe the discussion is diverting more toward why or Ahy not ABS which have been discussed in detailed in the following thread

The ABS thread

Thread Closed
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks