Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 23:50   #1
BHPian

Adding an aftermarket ABS?

Hi guys, i was planning to add an ABS kit to my vehicle. Does anyone know how much an ABS kit will cost in our country? are there Indian made ones or do we have to get imported kits for this?

The Brakes in my Gurkha are terrible and scary at high speeds, so dont want to take the risk. Hope anyone of you could let me know whats the price and the complications i have to face buying and fixing one. Thanks.

Edit:
I heard Sundaram-Clayton Ltd manufacture ABS in India! has anyone heard of it and what it could cost?

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 8th August 2008 at 00:10.
Old 8th August 2008, 01:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

ABS on a grukha...It will be very difficult to add something like this from off the self kit, as non of the models in Force lineup [trax rang] have it, The control unit will have to be programmed to handle this job,and it will be a custom program specific to that vehicle..the senors will have to be calibrated and custom mounting for the sensors. Also the valves on the regulator will need be calibrated, all in all very difficult to setup the system. Plus ABS unit itself will be around 30grand, apart from other stuff mentioned..and custom programing , I don know if any one will be able to do it.
Old 8th August 2008, 02:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I think while you're at it, you should get some traction control added too.
Old 8th August 2008, 04:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Don't bother. You will do more harm than good. These aren't aftermarket accessories anyway and the factory is the only competent place to fit it(at least in India).
Old 8th August 2008, 11:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

I havent heard of ABS as an aftermarket fitment, you wont get it anywhere.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Boss, why are your driving it at high-speeds? It is not meant for that. I have never heard of after-market ABS fitment, and that too on an offroader.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:05   #7
BHPian

Isnt the TVS brake factory in the out skirts of chennai? May be i can get it fixed there by the factory people itself? who else would know it better?

Well there is all ways a first time for everything doesn't mean that if no one has done it that it cant be done. I am not using any of those cheap management pep talks but to be realistic i guess its worth a try.?
Old 8th August 2008, 12:30   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't go anywhere near an after-market ABS fitment, monster. First, drive the Gurkha for a coupla thousand kms. If you have been driving a regular hatch or sedan, its only natural to feel overwhelmed on the initial experience with an old school offroader.

If you still want better brakes, then look up options on upgrading the current braking system with aftermarket pads / discs. An ABS system is too complicated to be recommended as an aftermarket fit for the Gurkha.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Isnt the TVS brake factory in the out skirts of chennai?
I think you are referring to Rane brakes in Velachery? I doubt the factory will entertain retail sale to a single customer. You will probably need contacts with the management to pull it thru.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:27   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Brakes in my Gurkha are terrible and scary at high speeds
Feeling scared is a sign your brain is learning that the dynamics of this vehicle are different. You'll learn soon to space yourself more between you and the car ahead and also that you need to ease off beyond a point as you brake hard to prevent lockup.

When I moved up to a Landcruiser from a Civic I had a few "oops I almost rear ended the car upfront" moments before I learnt that laws of physics are at work when you hurtle more than 2 tons down a road.

BTW Bosch has a division called Rexroth that manufactures ABS systems in India. Not very helpful though. They are too used to dealing with mfgs to handle individual queries.

Last edited by DKG : 8th August 2008 at 13:28.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

i agree with DKG here.

Every vehicle has to driven differently specially these SUVs.

They cant be driven like sedans and one shouldnt try it.

And it always takes some to get used to a new vehicle type and one you realize its limitations,you are better prepared to make most of it.

Here is the case of GURKHA,which is not meant to go fast or road burner rather a rugged go anywhere type of vehicle.

So,i would say drive safe and learn how to tame this beast.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:06   #12
BHPian

Forget about aftermarket ABS.
If you want better on-road dynamics AND off-road ability, change your wheels to 15x8 with suitable offset and tyres to either 11.5-31R15M/T or 10.5-31R15M/T.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:18   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Forget about aftermarket ABS.
If you want better on-road dynamics AND off-road ability, change your wheels to 15x8 with suitable offset and tyres to either 11.5-31R15M/T or 10.5-31R15M/T.
Especially the improved steering and directional stability. When I put TLC rubber on my 207 it transformed the way the car tracked the road. Now I literally fling it through corners
Old 8th August 2008, 15:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, i was planning to add an ABS kit to my vehicle. Does anyone know how much an ABS kit will cost in our country? are there Indian made ones or do we have to get imported kits for this?

The Brakes in my Gurkha are terrible and scary at high speeds, so dont want to take the risk. Hope anyone of you could let me know whats the price and the complications i have to face buying and fixing one. Thanks.

Edit:
I heard Sundaram-Clayton Ltd manufacture ABS in India! has anyone heard of it and what it could cost?
There is no such thing as an ABS kit.

Someone may have done a transfer from a crashed ABS vehicle to the same model car. But it is very difficult and technically challenging. Also very expensive.

If your brakes are terrible and scary, I assume this means that they don't slow the vehicle very well? If this is the case, ABS will not help at all.

Regards,
Old 8th August 2008, 18:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

umm how about a tyre upgrade first? that might help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks