Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 14:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Now generally the heater core is in front(towards the vent side) of the evaporator,so there is no way that changing the temperature setting is going to solve the problem of the evaporator freezing due to the malfunctioning expansion valve,changing the expansion valve is the only and proper solution.It will involve removing and refitting the AC piping and hence a refrigerant recharge.

well in that case i rather wait and see if this problem still persists and is equally bad all the time then i am left with no choice but to do what you suggested, let me get that part checked at the HASS tomorrow and get teh price quotes for the same, if this problem still gets to my nerve on the highway again i will change it and keep you guys posted thanks a ton merve.
Old 10th August 2008, 15:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

rider don't worry.
What exactly is happening is this
1. Your HVAC cools the cabin to chilled temp
2. Cutout detects this and shuts of the AC, and slowly Air coming from vents starts getting warmer than the ambient cold temperature of the cabin
3. Due to high humidity, you see mist. Its same has when you blow breath in winters

As for outside windows fogging, I also face this problem. I just decrease the cooling so that the temp difference between inside and outside is not much. If your cabin is very cold you will have misting outside due to condensation on cold glass
Old 10th August 2008, 19:33   #18
BHPian

Hi,

EXpansion valve is malfunctioning,quite common problem,replacing it will solve your issues.
When the blower speed is reduced the expansion valve has to cut down on the liquid flow to the cooling coil,this is not happening in your case.Since you say u have recently serviced the HVAC,what normally happens is some debris must have got stuck in the expansion valve....
The best bet would be to replace it,make sure you pick the japanese ones if u plan to buy aftermarket .....
Old 10th August 2008, 22:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
slowly Air coming from vents starts getting warmer than the ambient cold temperature of the cabin
This can only happen in ventilation mode when outside air is warmer than the air inside the cabin,it will never happen in recirculation mode.

Rider, was the HVAC in ventilation mode? if yes then mist phenomenon could occur.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
This can only happen in ventilation mode when outside air is warmer than the air inside the cabin,it will never happen in recirculation mode.

Rider, was the HVAC in ventilation mode? if yes then mist phenomenon could occur.
well i always run my ac in ventilation mode only, its only when dad uses the car he puts it in recirculation mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
rider don't worry.
What exactly is happening is this
1. Your HVAC cools the cabin to chilled temp
2. Cutout detects this and shuts of the AC, and slowly Air coming from vents starts getting warmer than the ambient cold temperature of the cabin
3. Due to high humidity, you see mist. Its same has when you blow breath in winters

As for outside windows fogging, I also face this problem. I just decrease the cooling so that the temp difference between inside and outside is not much. If your cabin is very cold you will have misting outside due to condensation on cold glass

ok tsk if this is the problem and not the valve then i am more than happy to hear it.

however this will be confirmed by next summer i guess or may be in this highway trip.
Old 17th September 2008, 00:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

well a update here, my woes are there, it forms the water droplets all around the blowers even now, this occurs only if the cold hot temp is in full cold mode, other wise its just fine. no problem with blower speed or the cooling they are both awesome.

i still ask the same question, this never occurred till the guy actually cleaned my evaporator by removing the dash board. did the guy at hyundai seriously mess with my valve settings???

also, the car is just 2yrs and 9months old and i already have a very squeaky alternator belt the sound shows the indication that its time that i changed it, has any one had this problem before???

does this have any thing to do with my ac or any other side effects in my accent viva crdi???
Old 17th September 2008, 01:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

well i forgot to add, the guy(technician at lakshmi hyundai banjara hills service center) at hyundai also said he was not sure if changing the valve would solve this issue for sure hence recommended i run the AC with mixing the hot a little and it has worked out so far, thats the reason for serioulsy wondering if they messed up my valve settings previously.

i just clue less as to what would happen if i get this checked else where, i am kind of scared if they mess up something it might cost me dearly to pay up for any of those parts.

so what do i do guys? gurus?
Old 17th September 2008, 07:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Rider, stop worrying. Your AC is now performing to optimum levels (after the service).
Why did it never happen for the first two years? Because the AC in the brand new car was probably not charged fully with refrigerant.
If you keep running the AC in ventilation mode, the evaporator will get fouled up faster. Better to be in recirculation mode. That is also more eco-friendly.
Old 17th September 2008, 07:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have been noticing this mist in my Bolero since years now,happens pretty often.
Recently happened in the accent as well but for a few minutes then it was normal.
It is related to humidity only
Old 24th August 2011, 08:31   #25
BANNED

Re: Air-con woes and Nightmare!

Off Late I have been getting a whisling noise of some thing moving from the left AC vent in Skoda Fabia.
This is intermittent , it comes all of a sudden and goes.
Had topped up gas couple of months back and had changed the O Ring.

Is it some thing to worry about.
Or is it leakeage of AC gas
Old 24th August 2011, 10:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Off Late I have been getting a whisling noise of some thing moving from the left AC vent in Skoda Fabia.
This is intermittent , it comes all of a sudden and goes.
Had topped up gas couple of months back and had changed the O Ring.

Is it some thing to worry about.
Or is it leakeage of AC gas
nothing to worry ; it's all gas(I mean , refrigerant moving in the circuit)

Refrigerant in the system if of the order of a few 100 grams(approx 500gms in most cars) ; so a leak that sounds like a big hiss would mean all refrigerant gone in less than 15 minutes
Old 24th August 2011, 13:49   #27
BANNED

If there is a gas leak you do not get s hiss in a vent! The evaporator unit sits in the main box! What is being discussed here is quite normal. Let me add another bit of advice on fogging:

Fogging/misting happens when the surface temperature is lower then the dew point (where water starts condensing). If it is inside then a fast fan action or a bit of heat will take care of it pretty fast. However, if condensation occurs outside the glass then there is no fast fix for it. Only when the glass warms up to above the dew point will it stop. Moral; keep an eye and reduce the cooling of there is any sign of misting outside the glass.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:37   #28
BANNED

Thanks for the reply.
THere is misting near the left window facing the AC Vent.
Was wondering why the misting is only on left side.
Any way will increase the temperature setting from now on.
Worried about high cost of AC replacement cost in Skoda.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:03   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
THere is misting near the left window facing the AC Vent.
Was wondering why the misting is only on left side.....
Quite common. I guess there may be two reasons - there are more vents on the drivers side, and also possibly the drivers side is a bit warmer due to his/her presence.

On a humorous note one may blame it on Murphy - the LH side needs one moves across to wipe it.
Old 4th December 2011, 21:50   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
nothing to worry ; it's all gas(I mean , refrigerant moving in the circuit)

Refrigerant in the system if of the order of a few 100 grams(approx 500gms in most cars) ; so a leak that sounds like a big hiss would mean all refrigerant gone in less than 15 minutes
There is a very minute leak in the Drier pipe above the Evaporator / Condensor.
I have applied araldite over the leak , Have to see if this leak resurfaces again , is it a good option to get brazing done on the drier pipe to stop the leak, condensor / evaporator costs 12000 upwards.

This is happening since last 6 months , got the gas topped twice since April.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks