Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2008, 13:28   #1

Sticky situation: Adieu to my Baleno!

You guys made me buy my baleno..so now I need your opinion at a stage where I am contemplating selling it. Help!!

I hydrolocked my 25000 kn run Baleno a couple of weeks back..stupidly waded in a pond-of-a-puddle . Anyhow, insurance claim was denied outright (as per rules..as its an operator's mistake) and maruti genuine kharcha-paani was coming up to 80k. Checked with an experienced friend with a brilliant workshop...who opened the engine, found one bent con-rod and a slightly bruised crank-rod...all for 30k approx.
He changed the con-rod, fixed teh crank-rod, put sleeves in all 4 cylinders and packed it all up. We got 100% compression and all-system-go in no time (deadly engine guys...never expected this ruggedness!). So all is well and I am running in the engine for 1000 km at 1500 RPM as we speak!

OK, now I have been told some cliches can actually be right -
1. "sell a car if the engine has been opened"
2. "it will definitely pop a sound or crackle soon kiling the resale even further",
3. "dont be so happy...its just a temporary fix..why take chances..sell your beloved baby (ouch!)

So now, I need advice. My options are to sell her at true value that is offering 3.8 lacs. But the only car I can think abt buying in my conservative budget is the Accent 1.5..probably with CNG (am a delhi-ite). Till date, I have rogered every accent in sight, and I feel like I am being forced to develop an apetite for a humble pie. So, questions:
1. Does it make sense to keep a hydro-lock repaired car?
2. Especially, if its a Baleno with southward-bound resale?
3. Is the accent decision a good one, again considering the car is outdated and can go out of production anytime? Or is it gonna stay?

HELP !

PS: Anyone with hydrolocking worries or queries is welcome to PM me - in one week I have learnt the goriest details on the subject matter and would be glad to share!
Old 9th August 2008, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

as long as the engine is done right. nothing wrong with it.
All modded tuners when open the engine tp put new rings or con rods etc etc. This does not mean the acr has to be sold.
If the job is good might end up with a better engine than before!!
Old 10th August 2008, 12:48   #3

Thanks for the reassurance iceman..makes me feel a lot better! and hey, I had not considered the fact that all mods anyway need engine opening etc..

I have noted a good pickup on both FE and accelaration counts..unverified as I am still running her in.but hope your statment on engine getting better comes true!

btw, is hyundai changing the accent in Sept?
Old 10th August 2008, 23:03   #4
BHPian

I agree to what iceman91 has said.

If the engine is done right, there is no need to worry about it.

Quote:
I had not considered the fact that all mods anyway need engine opening etc..
Not all mods require opening of the engine, but serious mods do
Old 10th August 2008, 23:31   #5
BHPian

btw, is hyundai changing the accent in Sept?[/quote]

Not from september but it will be gradually phased out by the end of the year. I m working for a company which is hyundai's major supplier so we know the forecasts
Old 10th August 2008, 23:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you are skeptical about keeping the car with a thought that it might give problems later, sell it, and since you are looking at a replacement, forget the accent like said above it might be phased out soon you can eye one of these dzire petrol or the palio 1.6 or logan petrol all of these are good cars in the budget of a new accent, and are very much cng compatible.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:08   #7
BANNED

Whats a Hydro-Lock car?
Old 11th August 2008, 00:15   #8
BHPian

@ speed racer: I have seen the ice mans thread "guess whos back" and some body proposed to marry his baleno's engine before I did.

That engine is as solid as a rock. keep it for a few days. maybe a couple of weeks or so to see if all remains well.

If it does it should stay so for another round trip on the odo
Old 11th August 2008, 00:37   #9

Thanks motorhead..guess I am gona stick it out with my baby for a bit..even of just to encourage mechanical polygamy!

Thanks Aditya - Accent never really had the "love"..hope the i30 is a better replacement..

@rider60: Hydro-lock (wikipedia): Hydrolock (short for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid has been introduced into its cylinder(s), resulting in the immobilization of the engine's pistons. The liquid causing this malfunction is often water, hence the prefix "hydro-". Hydrolock occurs in a 4-stroke engine when liquid is sucked into the engine's cylinder(s) during the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of the liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine. Typically, connecting rods will be bent, making the engine uneconomical to repair.

Water seepage happens mostly via the air intake when you wade in a radiator-high puddle or when someone coming up front splashes you silly (both in my case). Even a little amount of water is enough to bend the rods/bruise the pistons/render the engine scrap.
Silliest way to get one-the smallest attempt to start you car after it stalls in water..even one key turn is enough. All manuals warn you not to do it, but everyone thinks one attempt wont matter...insurance in India does not cover it either.

NEVER ATTEMPT TO START A VEHICLE STALLED IN WATER! Just get out, push her out and call on-road service.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th August 2008 at 10:07. Reason: Font tags
Old 11th August 2008, 00:47   #10

Pictures!

a couple of pictures of the job for reference...

Old 11th August 2008, 12:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed.racer View Post
Thanks motorhead..guess I am gona stick it out with my baby for a bit..even of just to encourage mechanical polygamy!

Thanks Aditya - Accent never really had the "love"..hope the i30 is a better replacement..

@rider60: Hydro-lock (wikipedia): Hydrolock (short for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid has been introduced into its cylinder(s), resulting in the immobilization of the engine's pistons. The liquid causing this malfunction is often water, hence the prefix "hydro-". Hydrolock occurs in a 4-stroke engine when liquid is sucked into the engine's cylinder(s) during the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of the liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine. Typically, connecting rods will be bent, making the engine uneconomical to repair.

Water seepage happens mostly via the air intake when you wade in a radiator-high puddle or when someone coming up front splashes you silly (both in my case). Even a little amount of water is enough to bend the rods/bruise the pistons/render the engine scrap.
Silliest way to get one-the smallest attempt to start you car after it stalls in water..even one key turn is enough. All manuals warn you not to do it, but everyone thinks one attempt wont matter...insurance in India does not cover it either.

NEVER ATTEMPT TO START A VEHICLE STALLED IN WATER! Just get out, push her out and call on-road service.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff
i know what a hydrolock is thats hence the suggestion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks