Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 15:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem in steering rack-assembly

So today I got time to update this thread..
I got the Steering Rack Assembly replaced at MMASS, Solapur.

The cost--
1) Steering Rack -- Rs.16321/-
2) Power Steering Oil--Rs. 510/-
Total- Rs.16831/-

Labour --
1) Power Steering Rack Removing Refitting--Rs. 650/-
2) Wheel Alignment-- Rs. 325/-
3) Service Tax-- Rs. 100/-
Total-- Rs.1075/-
Grand Total-- Rs. 17906/-

The Old Rack--
Problem in steering rack-assembly-snc00063.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-snc00065.jpg

The New Rack--
Problem in steering rack-assembly-snc00062.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02241.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02246.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02247.jpg
The Blue Arrows show the Boot Clip on the inner side of the Rack and Red Arrows shows the Boot Clip on the outer side of the Rack.

The last three pics are taken today hence the rack is looking dirty.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th April 2012 at 16:03.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:30   #17
k10
BHPian

Hi Folks!
I have a similar issue with my Getz Prime @ 50k. There was a leak from the steering assembly and the oil would leak at an interval of 30 days. Showed to Maa Auto in Pune (6 months ) and they told me i had to have the steering rack repalced at an expens of 23k. Went to a local mechanic who told me there was no leak, else ALL the oil would have gone, which wasn't the case.

Couple of days back, i notices some oil staining on the driver carpet. and the PS was also creaking. Called up Maa Auto again who todl me once again that steering rack has to be replaced at an expense of 35K! Wow! 12 k rise in 6 months??? Sounds more like they trying to make hay while the sun shine.

What id like to understand is what are my options / alternatives here?
Old 9th January 2013, 13:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10 View Post
Hi Folks!
I have a similar issue with my Getz Prime @ 50k. There was a leak from the steering assembly and the oil would leak at an interval of 30 days. Showed to Maa Auto in Pune (6 months ) and they told me i had to have the steering rack repalced at an expens of 23k. Went to a local mechanic who told me there was no leak, else ALL the oil would have gone, which wasn't the case.

Couple of days back, i notices some oil staining on the driver carpet. and the PS was also creaking. Called up Maa Auto again who todl me once again that steering rack has to be replaced at an expense of 35K! Wow! 12 k rise in 6 months??? Sounds more like they trying to make hay while the sun shine.

What id like to understand is what are my options / alternatives here?
Maa Auto.. Is this HASS? If not, then your best bet would be to get it checked at HASS first and at least take their opinion.
If yes, then you might want to visit another HASS and take a 2nd opinion.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:10   #19
k10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Maa Auto.. Is this HASS? If not, then your best bet would be to get it checked at HASS first and at least take their opinion.
If yes, then you might want to visit another HASS and take a 2nd opinion.
Yes its HASS. But i think HASS will always go in for a 'cannot be repaired' approach and push 'replace ASAP' approach.

Read somewhere that Kotkar auto in Pune is a reliable garage. Plan to take it there today evening and see what they have to say.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k10 View Post
...But i think HASS will always go in for a 'cannot be repaired' approach and push 'replace ASAP' approach...
Yes, that they will. But I am sure in this forum itself you can find many references to good FNGs who will give you a more efficient solution. Try your luck.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 20:23   #21
BHPian

Hi folks, I had a query on whether I can get a insurance claim for replacement of a part without any accident or damage to the car ?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic which recently came up with an issue related to the steering assembly.
The Honda Service Centre guys say that the bill can endup anywhere between 40,000 to 80,000 depending upon what part will be changed.

The main issue with the car is that, there is an oil leak from the steering pump, which was probably caused by a stone hitting the steering pump of the car.

So can I get an insurance claim if I get the pump or the steering assembly replaced from an Authorised Honda Service Centre ?
Or will I have to prove that the car met with an accident or something ?

Can anyone suggest me with a way out of this situation ?

Thanks.
Old 30th January 2013, 20:56   #22
BHPian

Hi All

Does anybody know how much it will cost for FORD IKON TDCi steering column?

Mine has been advised for a replacement. I have already replaced the ball joints .But feels lot of play for steering .

Done 60 K already

Thanks in Advance.
Old 21st April 2014, 18:56   #23
BHPian

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am also having the problem of grinding noise in my Ford Ikon 1.6 while steering. Currently the car is with Sejal Motors and they have already checked power steering belt/fluid and no issues found there.

They are suggesting to change the steering rack assembly, which will cost me ~18k

Car has completed ~85k on odometer. Gurus please advice me, is there anything else to be checked before going for rack assembly replacement?

Last edited by manson : 21st April 2014 at 19:57. Reason: Deleted / edited excessive smileys / .... / slang language
Old 21st April 2014, 22:25   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am also having the problem of grinding noise in my Ford Ikon 1.6 while steering. Currently the car is with Sejal Motors and they have already checked power steering belt/fluid and no issues found there.
Couldn't it be related to the power steering motor since you say grinding noise.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Couldn't it be related to the power steering motor since you say grinding noise.

Anurag.
Thanks for the revert..

I am not sure whether it is grinding or creaking or squeaking noise... kind of grr.. grr.. while steering...

Also while reversing and turning simultaneously (extreme right/left), observed a different noise... like something came loose... glee.. glee... observed the same kind of noise in most of the indica cabs..
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:53   #26
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for the revert..

I am not sure whether it is grinding or creaking or squeaking noise... kind of grr.. grr.. while steering...

Also while reversing and turning simultaneously (extreme right/left), observed a different noise... like something came loose... glee.. glee... observed the same kind of noise in most of the indica cabs..
When was the alignment done? Have a check in that too and look at the suspension once.

Anurag.
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
When was the alignment done? Have a check in that too and look at the suspension once.

Anurag.
Wheel alignment/balancing/tyre rotation done today, still the same noise persists

Suspension components checked and found to be ok.
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:42   #28
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for the revert..

I am not sure whether it is grinding or creaking or squeaking noise... kind of grr.. grr.. while steering.
Check the linkages and joints for written or parts and play - steering system I mean.

Anurag.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Check the linkages and joints for written or parts and play - steering system I mean.

Anurag.
I have asked the mechanic to check linkage and joints, he said everything looks fine.

Today i have noticed one more thing... After careful observation, the sound is coming only when the steering turned towards right side & not left side.
Also even if the steering is straight when going over speed breakers the same noise is observed...
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:43   #30
BANNED

Quote:

I have asked the mechanic to check linkage and joints, he said everything looks fine.

Today i have noticed one more thing... After careful observation, the sound is coming only when the steering turned towards right side & not left side.
Also even if the steering is straight when going over speed breakers the same noise is observed...
I am quoting this post by BHPian Humyum sir where he had given this response to a similar problem reported on a Swift. So please try this and see if you can find the source of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you do a little experiment for me and post ? Easy to diagnose the problem

Step 1 - Park the car on a flat road which has no sand or mud on it (clean), roll up the windows and turn the steering violently left and right. Do you hear a kat kat kat kat ?

If yes, its the steering damper, but just to be sure.

Go to an alignment guy and ask him to check for tie rod end play and bearing play by holding the wheels in 9 to 3 and 12 to 6 position. Both the front tyres. If not, its the steering damper

2) Go over a road with paver blocks and see if u get the kat kat kat sound, if it is indeed is coming on paver blocks, there are 2 things here. Stabilizer ends or caliper pins.

To ascertain, go over the paver blocks with the brake pedal pressed a little. If the sound vanishes, its the caliper pins which need replacement/greesing.

If the sound is still coming after the brake pedal pressing, its the stabilizer

Just do as I have told you and you'll pin it down to the to what is wrong.
Do keep us posted.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks