Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Problem in steering rack-assembly

Hi,

I drive a 3 year old Getz which has done 62000 KMs. Recently I got it serviced from Hyundai Motor Plaza, Mathura Road. When I went to pick up the car, the service adviser pointed to a very faint sound which comes when steering is turned while car is stationary. This sound is like a 'click' and is very faint, in fact I never noticed it before.

He told me that he has checked everything except steering rack assembly and most probably this sound is due to some problem in steering rack assembly. He asked me about extended warranty which I don't have, and then told me that it'll cost me about 18K to get it rectified.

When I asked him whether this will cause any major issue, he said none. And told me that if I can live with that sound, I can continue using the car even with this problem.

Please advice what I sould do?

Thanx

Nitin
Old 11th August 2008, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its an issue, its normal wear & tear, drive on.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

That click sound is pretty much there in most PS cars. I wonder if this is some other sound.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That click sound is pretty much there in most PS cars. I wonder if this is some other sound.
Is there a way to check whether this is normal or not?

Thanx

Nitin
Old 11th August 2008, 13:25   #5
BANNED

Quote:
the service adviser pointed to a very faint sound which comes when steering is turned while car is stationary.
With the engines on or off?

Quote:
Is there a way to check whether this is normal or not?
Look at other similar cars - like a Getz!!!
Old 11th August 2008, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

I regularly get the click click when i turn especially when the turn signal is on (No, i am not talking about the Indicator sound).
Old 11th August 2008, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
With the engines on or off?
With the engine on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Look at other similar cars - like a Getz!!!
That sounds like a good idea, I'll try that.

Thanx

Nitin
Old 18th March 2012, 21:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem in steering rack-assembly

The Query is about Xylo E8 ABS
First of all some history--
In Dec.2011 (Odo Reading 1,26,240kms) the following parts were replaced--
1) Both Sides (L & R) Steering Ball Joints,
2) Both Sides Tie Rod Ends
3) Both Sides Lower Ball Joints.

After replacing the above parts, the Cable Ties (Don't know whether its Correct Word) were not used. Cables Ties shown by Red Arrows. (Today I fitted the Cable Ties myself.).

Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02165.jpg

Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02166.jpg

Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02167.jpg

Problem in steering rack-assembly-snc00060.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-snc00061.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02169.jpg

Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02171.jpg

Problem in steering rack-assembly-dsc02172.jpg

From Mid-End Jan. 2012, the Power Steering Oil Level used to drop every 15-20 days by @ 100ml. On showing the mechanic, he told that there is no sign of leakage from the underside of engine bay.

Yesterday I went to the mechanic to get the front brake pads cleaned since the car used to vibrate when brakes (with full power) were applied at slow speeds(Very Intelligent People come suddenly in front of car from nowhere). When the left wheel was removed, I noticed that the Rubber Boot on the Left Side Steering Ball Joint was wet with Oil (may be Power Steering’s). I showed the leakage to the mechanic. On that he told that the Steering Rack might have got damaged due to wear and tear.
On asking him solution on this, he told me that the Steering Rack itself has to be replaced. Estimated Cost Rs. 18-20K(only for Steering Rack) and Labour Rs.1200/- Extra. Time required 2 days.

First 3 Photos are of Right Side Steering Ball Joint and remaining are of Left Side.

Is it possible that because of non-use of Cable Ties, the dust entered the area shown by Blue Arrows?

I am asking this because after replacing the Steering Ball Joints, the level used to drop but no visible leakage.

The Rubber Boot is shown by Green Arrows.

Tomorrow or Day After (depending on availability of time), I will be visiting the MASS and show them this leakage.

The Current Odo Reading is 1,36,050kms.

Till then I want your opinions on this.

Please help me.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 18th March 2012 at 22:15. Reason: Added Vehicle Name and Current Odo Reading
Old 18th March 2012, 22:57   #9
BHPian

My advice would be to get the rack replaced since your xylo has done 1.36L kms its wiser option to replace the rack and kill the steering rack headache forever as comapred to going in for repair.

In repair the completely strip down the steering rack and replace the inner oil seal which usually gives up which results in oil leak.
Oil seal giving up can be due to wear and tear and it gets more so pronounced if foreign entry of particles happens eg.Dust.

Hence yes it is possible that before the tie clips were installed due to the dust getting inside the rack as the boot was not sealing it, it made the already given up oil seal condition even worse.
You wouldn had spotted the leak before the tie-clips were installed cause the leak will only happen if car is left standing for many days or when car is driven, when car is driven PS pump builds pressure and when steering is opreated due to oil pressure the seal starts to leak and since vehicle is on the move you cant spot it.

But now when you have locked the boots with tie clips the oil has no-where to go and it gets accumulated in the boot hence you could spot the leak.

And going by the amount of leak of 100ml per 15-20days its better you get the rack replaced as this is a major leak and not minor.
If the vehicle is opreated with leaky rack it will result in stiff or steering which doesn self-center properly.

Sensible to get the rack replaced and if this is the first time in 1.36L kms that your rack has developed a leak then i might say your rack has lived its life its time to change it.

P.S-Mahindra A.S.S will also advice you to replace it.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:38   #10
BHPian

Hi, about noise in getz steering rack, I suggest like all other guys just ignore it. If noise is not noticeble & there is no issues with sttering operatoin,I think you can drive the car without any hassel.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

What is the average life of Hydraulic Power Steering Rack?Is it @125Kkms?

The Steering Rack of our Indigo LS (2004) was replaced @215-220Kkms (cost Rs. 10K + Labour 1.5K) and that of Indigo XL Dicor is still going strong at 148Kkms.Touchwood.

Will visit MASS this afternoon and post their opinion.

Should the Steering Rack be replaced at MASS or Local Garage?

@abhijitl..
The Getz query is @ 3.5 years old.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th March 2012 at 12:53.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:55   #12
BHPian

From where did you get it replaced for 10K ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
What is the average life of Hydraulic Power Steering Rack?Is it @125Kkms?

The Steering Rack of our Indigo LS (2004) was replaced @215-220Kkms (cost Rs. 10K + Labour 1.5K) and that of Indigo XL Dicor is still going strong at 148Kkms.Touchwood.

Will visit MASS this afternoon and post their opinion.

Should the Steering Rack be replaced at MASS or Local Garage?

@abhijitl..
The Getz query is @ 3.5 years old.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

@adityamunshi..

I directly purchased it from Mico-Bosch Workshop (which does servicing of Fuel Pumps, Cleaning of Injectors, Sales and Service of Batteries, etc.) @ 1.5-2 years ago.

The person there told me that New One costs Rs. 13K+. If I give the old Rack to them, they will give the New One for Rs. 10K (it was Rs.10-10.5K).

I gave them the old one. hence the new one cost me Rs. 10-10.5K. I got Tax Invoice of that New Steering Rack in which some amount of old rack was deducted (Dont remember the exact amount though) and final amount was Rs. 10K+.

The mechanic took Rs. 1500/- to remove the old rack and fit the new one.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th March 2012 at 15:24.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:31   #14
BHPian

Surprising! I have always been told that a new rack costs 15-17K. Even got it repaired bu Rane guys through TASC for 7k 2yrs back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
@adityamunshi..

I directly purchased it from Mico-Bosch Workshop (which does servicing of Fuel Pumps, Cleaning of Injectors, Sales and Service of Batteries, etc.) @ 1.5-2 years ago.

The person there told me that New One costs Rs. 13K+. If I give the old Rack to them, they will give the New One for Rs. 10K (it was Rs.10-10.5K).

I gave them the old one. hence the new one cost me Rs. 10-10.5K. I got Tax Invoice of that New Steering Rack in which some amount of old rack was deducted (Dont remember the exact amount though) and final amount was Rs. 10K+.

The mechanic took Rs. 1500/- to remove the old rack and fit the new one.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

I showed the vehicle to the MASS today.
On checking, they told me that the Steering Rack has to be replaced which costs @ Rs. 17K. The Labour is Rs.450/- (as against Rs.1200/- quoted by Local Garage) and the Power Steering Oil costs. @Rs.600-700/-.
Time required 3-4 hours (as against 2days quoted by Local Garage).

Tomorrow I will be getting the Steering Rack replaced at MASS. The SA told me that if I bring the car by 09:30am, the car will be ready before 01:00pm.

Any suggestions/ advices are welcome.

EDIT: -
The reason why I am going for replacement instead of repairs, is that the car travels frequently on rough roads (Most of our Sites are in rural areas). So I don't want to take chance

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th March 2012 at 20:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks