Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 12:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
so post the questions i will answer them
sameel
Sameel bro,

can you list the companies for whom Bosch is supplying the common rail technology ?

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 15th August 2008 at 12:17.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Non-CRDe Scorpio's with the 2600SZ plus engines are without glow-plugs. The indicator that you see on your console are part of the standard console that is made for all. In fact if you look closely, you shall also see a the check-engine indicator but it doesn't glow as it is not activated or required. But that indicator works in Rev116.
just one clarification isn't the Rev116 a petrol engine. You mean to say these guys activated that indicator in a petrol engine.

And if the 2600SZ (R180 I guess ) doesn't use glow plugs does it use any other form of heating ?
Old 15th August 2008, 14:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Non-CRDe Scorpio's with the 2600SZ plus engines are without glow-plugs. The indicator that you see on your console are part of the standard console that is made for all. In fact if you look closely, you shall also see a the check-engine indicator but it doesn't glow as it is not activated or required. But that indicator works in Rev116.
Thank you my friend for clearing my doubts. Its all there as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
just one clarification isn't the Rev116 a petrol engine. You mean to say these guys activated that indicator in a petrol engine...
Yeah I guess so, any reason why not? Check engine would be applicable in a petrol engine, right?

And if the 2600SZ (R180 I guess ) doesn't use glow plugs does it use any other form of heating ?[/quote]

As you, I to am curious if the 2600SZ uses any other form of heating.

Last edited by Mohnish : 15th August 2008 at 14:21.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mixing Kerosene in Diesel

Hi,

In cold climates mixing kerosene of ATF with Diesel fuel aka winter mix is a standard practice to prevent diesel from freezing , Tata Safari manual states that 50% Kerosene mix should be used at - 20 deg Celsius .
So the question is why do we fret and fume so much when Diesel is adulterated with Kerosene at 15 - 49 deg C ( Indian Climate ) ?

Yes I know that the theory of lubricity getting reduced so Fuel pump will go bust but then there must exist some solution to restore lubricity even at - 20 degrees which we can apply over here as well.

Any ideas on this ?

Please relax while answering this query , my pursuit is purely theoretical and academic and I have no intention of really mixing kerosene in my vehicle.

Regards
Amit
Old 30th January 2009, 19:12   #20
BANNED

Combustion characteristics of the mixture at -20C and +20C would be very different, AFAICT. Assuming that such mixing is recommended. I have not seen a safari manual.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

You can use additives for increasing the Lubricity of Diesel, for eg. BG248.

But to add to the theory and understanding, during unseasonably cold weather diesel engines will experience difficulties with starting. These problems arise from the formation of wax crystals, which block fuel filters and lines.

All diesel fuel contains wax. It is considered an important diesel component required for its higher cetane value. Normally the wax is a liquid in the fuel, however, when diesel fuel gets cold enough the wax starts to crystallize (i.e. solidify/ gel). If the temperature is extremely low, enough crystals will form to block the fuel filter and the engine can stop due to lack of fuel.

Ideally two grades of Diesel are supplied depending on the climate, Summer and Winter. This done by varying the cloud point of diesel fuel. Because the Summer Diesel has a higher cloud point, it is not appropriate to use this during winter when lower cloud point diesel is required. Winter diesel is meant for regions with sub-zero temperatures.

Alternatively kerosene or turbine fuel might be used in a ratio to overcome gelling. TATA recommends the following ratios(Summer Diesel: Kerosene/ TF )
Upto 0 deg C - No mixing required
0 to -10 deg C - 70:30
-10 to -15 deg C - 50:50
Another alternative is to use additives/BG256 aka BG Diesel Thaw additive i.e. for thawing gelled diesel fuel and restoring fuel flow. It will liquefy thickened fuel and melt ice crystals.

Apart from this, always ensure that the lubricating oil is adequate for cold weather operation. The wrong grade of oil will result in less engine protection and starting difficulties under such cold conditions.

Last edited by dadu : 31st January 2009 at 11:10.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

I returned to this thread today and saw this post... Yes, Rev116 is a petrol engine from Renault and comes with a ECU, hence the need to have the check engine light.

The 2600SZ uses a preheating system at the fule pump itself, hence the glow-plugs have been eliminated. It is an Austrian diesel technology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
just one clarification isn't the Rev116 a petrol engine. You mean to say these guys activated that indicator in a petrol engine.

And if the 2600SZ (R180 I guess ) doesn't use glow plugs does it use any other form of heating ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks