Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 11:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Finally got my 800's long due suspension o/h done.Total cost 7800.
Breakup is as follows
Struts 3900
Suspension Lower arm kit 2500
Bushing etc 200
Labor 1200
Also got the alingment done 660 bucks along with front 2 balancing.

The Costs seem pretty high for a 800 but then i am happy with the work done as the car had issues for a long time and they are all gone now.A problem which had persisted arund 4-5 years (link) is solved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-problem.html

The problem was the lower arms needed replacing as they had worn out.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:22   #17
BHPian

^^ Your parts costs seem to be very high. Where did you procure the parts from.

Is the 3900 Rs for all struts or only the front ones ?
Old 24th January 2010, 13:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Attached pics of the boxes of the struts and suspension kit.The struts are Gabriel and the suspension kit is from Rane which i hope and pray is OE.
The strut came with springs and the kit came with lower arms ,inner and outer ball joints (as per the box).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
^^ Your parts costs seem to be very high. Where did you procure the parts from.

Is the 3900 Rs for all struts or only the front ones ?
My garage sourced the parts from a local store, Prakash automobiles (milan subway).
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0105.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0106.jpg  

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 24th January 2010 at 13:45.
Old 30th January 2010, 15:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Attached are pics of some of the old components replaced.You can see the busted lower arm.I am unable to make out anything physically wrong with the struts but my mechanic said they had leaked and needed replacement.The cost might have been on the higher side but i find the ride very smooth and much better than before and am quite happy with it.

I wonder if i could have saved some bucks if i was able to source only the lower arms for now but then i guess i might have to open the suspension again later
and get the struts etc replaced as i do plan to keep the car for a long time to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0107.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0108.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0109.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0110.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0111.jpg  

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-photo0112_1.jpg  

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th January 2010 at 15:43.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
i am thinking of selling the old suspension from my 800 ( above are the pics of the same).Can anyone tell me how much i can expect to get from it .I guess i have it to sell it off to scrap dealers only.

thanks
Old 1st March 2010, 14:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sumeet. It will not sell.

BTW if you have used Gabriel, the cost was very high.

ALso you should have used MGP tie rods and ends. ALso MGP trailing arm should have been used.

Gabriel is fine if you have found the original ones, (many fakes are there in the market). But the above mentioned parts should not have been compromised upon. That too when you were paying more than or equal to MGP price.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Sumeet. It will not sell.

BTW if you have used Gabriel, the cost was very high.

ALso you should have used MGP tie rods and ends. ALso MGP trailing arm should have been used.

Gabriel is fine if you have found the original ones, (many fakes are there in the market). But the above mentioned parts should not have been compromised upon. That too when you were paying more than or equal to MGP price.
Hello,
I was thinking of selling it as scrap.The gabriel box had a printed price and i did get it from a good shop where i can be sure that the spares are not spurious.As for the rest of the stuff they were delivered by the garage shop and i was hoping that it's not a spurious one.I really hope they won't break off or something.
BTW why do you the price for the gabriel was high ?

Rane's website also mentions it as a preferred OE supplier though not sure for Maruti.

http://www.ranegroup.com/index.htm

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st March 2010 at 16:43.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

My steering keeps feeling heavier day by day thanks to the lousy rane components.My wheel aignment guy said the tie rods or the ball joints or whatever were dry.Least i can do is to warn other people to stay away from the same so they do not make the same mistake.Sona components as per siralec is the way to go and is OE for Maruti.

Also would like to name the wonderful people who got the things setup for me.Milan Auto Electrical(Juhu,Santacruz,a little ahead of the cemetary).You know where not to go if you want a suspension overhaul.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2010, 09:46   #24
BHPian

Those parts don't look original at all. Only buy parts from the Maruti parts distributer - local BHPians should be able to guide you.
Old 17th September 2012, 18:05   #25
SBR
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost

Reviving an old thread.

My M-800 is Nov 2006 MPFI version with 62K+ KMS on the ODO.

I am the only person inside the car most of days except for weekends. I have noticed from past few weeks that when I sit inside the car, the car tilts more than normal to the right side. This is more visible on the front. (Place above the front right side wheel)

My brother recently happened to use the car and he also had to say the same thing.

What could be the problem.
Does this need a suspension over haul. If yes, what could be the cost at a MASS Centre in bangalore.

Pls. advise.

PS: Mods, please move this query to the right thread if not appropriate.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:35   #26
SBR
BHPian

5 days and no response.

Looks like no one is interested in answering a query for M-800. Is it so or am I wrong.

Folks, waiting for suggestions
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

It sounds like your front right shocks and/or springs are gone. Try this simple test. Push down on the car and see how it reacts. When let go it should only bounce once before coming to rest. If not the suspension is shot.

Cost should be within 10k if the overhaul of our omni's suspension is any indication
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I am the only person inside the car most of days except for weekends. I have noticed from past few weeks that when I sit inside the car, the car tilts more than normal to the right side. This is more visible on the front. (Place above the front right side wheel)

My brother recently happened to use the car and he also had to say the same thing.

Does this need a suspension over haul. If yes, what could be the cost at a MASS Centre in bangalore.

Pls. advise.

Park the car on level ground.Use your hand and see how many fingers are needed to close the gap between the wheel well and the tyre on the right side.Check if the width is same for the left.If it's less then it might be possible the strut may need looking into.Have the car inspected by a good garage.Make sure you use only OE parts as i have described above non OE parts make the steering hard.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Pls. advise.

Car tilting to one side more than the other, is an indication of a busted shocks.
Change both front shocks use ONLY MGP and if you wanna use Complete assembly which consists of spring strut kit damper all installed from factory then use Gabriel or Endurance NEVER EVER use Delphi they dont last at all.
Speaking from experience have changed shocks of 800 3times as 2times i got faulty set from delphi and got warranty replacement for the same the third current set is Gabirel
For the complete assembly per Side Paid-2900rs so for set 5800rs but its worth it.

While at it get your lower arms and tie-rods checked which should be busted by now as they dont last that much 60k for front suspension of 800 is Long life. Do complete front suspension overhaul wont cost you more than 7.5k.

Also since your is 2006 which is a later model than mine
Get the rear shocks also changed they are 180rs per piece OEM MGP.
Usually the rear shocks is the only first component to bust in rear suspension rest all lasts quite long say for atleast 70k kms minimum but better to get it checked while replacing rear shocks.

Do the above and your car will be tight and comfortable like a 8k kms run car.
I wont say factory as the chassis over the period of use n abuse looses its stiffness and you can never get it back.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 11:32   #30
SBR
BHPian

I plan to do the tests as suggested by Ganapathy & Sumeet sometime this week or over the weekend and post the results.

If it needs a suspension overhaul, I will get it done thru MASS only. For the last 6+ years, my car has been serviced at MASS only.

Jatin, thanks for your advise for not using Delphi. Will keep that in mind.

One more query, if the car needs the suspension to be replaced, can I delay the replacement by 2 - 3 months and continue running the car in the same condition. Will there be any more damage. Pls. advise.

Most Viewed