Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 12:40   #31
SBR
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Park the car on level ground.Use your hand and see how many fingers are needed to close the gap between the wheel well and the tyre on the right side.Check if the width is same for the left.If it's less then it might be possible the strut may need looking into.Have the car inspected by a good garage.Make sure you use only OE parts as i have described above non OE parts make the steering hard.
Did the above check. On the right side, I could place 4 fingers in a vertical position between the wheel well and the tyre. On the left side, I could place 6 fingers. So, the problem as expected is on the front right side.

Spoke to my regular SA at a MASS centre (Aryan Motors) where I get my car serviced, he said that it could be either lower arms busted or shocks. For lower arms, he quoted INR 600/- per side & if shocks replacement, he quoted INR 1800/- per side. These were the approx rates quoted by him.

He however informed that final cost can be quoted only after inspecting the vehicle.

Planning to take the car on Wed (3rd Oct) to get the repair done.
Old 1st October 2012, 18:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Did the above check. On the right side, I could place 4 fingers in a vertical position between the wheel well and the tyre. On the left side, I could place 6 fingers. So, the problem as expected is on the front right side.
Sometimes due to mud flap and fender mis-alignment the method you checked may not give accurate result. I would suggest using a measuring tape to measure distance between the front and rear wheel centre nut on both sides. Both should come equal.

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost-wheels.jpg
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

While you are at it, change the bearings also if possible on all four wheels or atleast the 2 front wheels at the bare minimum, because it is a specialized job to extract the bearings out of the hub and is usually avoided during all suspension overhaul, make sure that you ensure that the old bearings are replaced with the new one. Take it easy and drive below 50 for next 100 kms till you are confident that all the parts are set in.
Old 6th October 2012, 13:39   #34
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

Spoke to my regular SA at a MASS centre (Aryan Motors) where I get my car serviced, he said that it could be either lower arms busted or shocks. For lower arms, he quoted INR 600/- per side & if shocks replacement, he quoted INR 1800/- per side. These were the approx rates quoted by him.

He however informed that final cost can be quoted only after inspecting the vehicle.

Planning to take the car on Wed (3rd Oct) to get the repair done.
Took the car to the MASS center on 3rd Oct, 2012. A complete check was done and I was informed that only the front Strut bush at top costing Rs. 65/- each and bottom bush costing around 30/- each had to be replaced. Complete spares cost was Rs. 200/- + Rs. 400/- as labour charges.

The car looks fine now. While spares cost was less, labour cost was a bit high. I am happy with the results though.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 09:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Team, need some advice regarding the upcoming strut replacement of my M800.

I will be going for the complete preassembled struts, but I'm confused about the brand.

In MGP, there are 3 vendors-
1. KYB
2. Gabriel
3. Munjal-Showa

In local market, I got the option of two vendors
1. Monroe
2. Gabriel

My current ones are probably Tokico branded, and they came with the car(17 years old). I'd love to go with the same but it seems they don't make M800's shocks anymore.

So out of the available options, which brand makes the best shocks?? How is Munjal-Showa?? It is currently the main supplier of shocks to MSIL for its entire range of cars.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th February 2017 at 09:16.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hello Team, need some advice regarding the upcoming strut replacement of my M800.

I will be going for the complete preassembled struts, but I'm confused about the brand.

In MGP, there are 3 vendors-
1. KYB
2. Gabriel
3. Munjal-Showa

In local market, I got the option of two vendors
1. Monroe
2. Gabriel

My current ones are probably Tokico branded, and they came with the car(17 years old). I'd love to go with the same but it seems they don't make M800's shocks anymore.

So out of the available options, which brand makes the best shocks?? How is Munjal-Showa?? It is currently the main supplier of shocks to MSIL for its entire range of cars.

Regards,
Shashi
All the brands you have mentioned are reputed companies. Just make sure you get genuine ones- there are even fake MGP branded parts in the market being sold by non-authorised outlets. Your mechanic will be able to guide you best about relative endurance.

If you can find the Gabriel dampers with a screw type top, buy them as they can be reconditioned easily in the future.
fighterace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
All the brands you have mentioned are reputed companies. Just make sure you get genuine ones- there are even fake MGP branded parts in the market being sold by non-authorised outlets. Your mechanic will be able to guide you best about relative endurance.

If you can find the Gabriel dampers with a screw type top, buy them as they can be reconditioned easily in the future.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have also heard about fake Gabriel ones floating around in the market, hence will probably avoid them.

I don't have much to worry about when it comes to MGP as I'll pick it directly from the MGP authorised store of my city. I just got spoilt for choice vendor wise.

Regards,
Shashi

PS-My trusted SA asked me to get Munjal ones.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 21:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

PS-My trusted SA asked me to get Munjal ones.
Munjals and KYB both are good, although KYB will cost you a bit more.
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed