Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 11:25   #1

Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost

Hi Everyone,

Need your assistance in knowing What all things will be done for Suspension Overhaul??

How much would be an estimated cost for the same.
Thanks
Ram
Old 12th August 2008, 21:41   #2
BANNED

it doesnt cost much unless you need to replace struts . it may cost around few hundreds
Old 12th August 2008, 23:03   #3
BHPian

Just a few days back i got my OHC's suspension and steering overhauled from an independent mechanic. The total cost was around 11.5 K - though the same work from authorized dealership would cost much more though. An exact estimate can only be given by your garage after dismantling the suspension but mostly these parts need replacing/ servicing:

Lower arms, tie rod ends, struts, ball joints, bushes and rubber parts. In my case the mechanic also replaced something called stabilizer/ balancing kit - do not know which one is that.

Cheers
Old 13th August 2008, 00:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Front or rear, and what model year?
Old 13th August 2008, 01:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramprakash View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need your assistance in knowing What all things will be done for Suspension Overhaul??

How much would be an estimated cost for the same.
Thanks
Ram
Assuming a Type-II 800 things to replace are:

Front Struts
Front strut bush kit
Front lower arms
Tie rod ends
Stabilizer bar bushes
Rear shock absorbers (check before replacing, rarely give up!)

and while your at it , it might as well help to overhaul the steering rack, and replace the steering rack bush

cost when done at a maruti authorised service station would be around 5-6k including spares and labor.

if your doing the job at a third party garage, it's recommended you use MGP for your peace of mind.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:54   #6

Hi SIR ALEC.
Its Front Suspension!!!!
Old 10th November 2008, 23:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Cost of front shocks for 800

Hi,
My 800's front shocks seem to be in need of replacement.The car's done more than 28,100 kms and is 12 years old.I have done the bounce test on the front by pushing down each front corner down.The car bounces up and wobbles a couple or more times and settles down.
I wanted to know the cost of replacing the front shockers and springs if needed.I had called maurti service centre (sai service,Andheri) and theey quoted 1100 for each set of damper and around 500 bucks for the springs which i think seem to be on the higher side(or maybe it's just the recession thing in my head.)Anyways need to know if anybody had their's replaced and at what cost.

thanks
Old 10th November 2008, 23:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
My 800's front shocks seem to be in need of replacement.The car's done more than 28,100 kms and is 12 years old.I have done the bounce test on the front by pushing down each front corner down.The car bounces up and wobbles a couple or more times and settles down.
I wanted to know the cost of replacing the front shockers and springs if needed.I had called maurti service centre (sai service,Andheri) and theey quoted 1100 for each set of damper and around 500 bucks for the springs which i think seem to be on the higher side(or maybe it's just the recession thing in my head.)Anyways need to know if anybody had their's replaced and at what cost.

thanks
1100 per strut seems correct, i'm not sure why they're recommending a change of springs @ just 28k kms, they never need replacing (OEM springs that is!) , do change the bushkit along with the struts
Old 13th November 2008, 22:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
1100 per strut seems correct, i'm not sure why they're recommending a change of springs @ just 28k kms, they never need replacing (OEM springs that is!) , do change the bushkit along with the struts
Hi
why would you say the springs never need replacing?Dont they wear out too with age?Not that i am complaining!
:-)
Old 14th November 2008, 00:02   #10
BHPian

Yes it will cost around 6k for all suspension overhaul, about 3k for the fronts at a MASS.

Sorry for posting in this thread but is there any way i can get coil spring suspension fitted at the rear in my 800, replacing the leaf spring type? these leaf springs really make one bounce like a ball and provide very little comfort.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post

Sorry for posting in this thread but is there any way i can get coil spring suspension fitted at the rear in my 800, replacing the leaf spring type? these leaf springs really make one bounce like a ball and provide very little comfort.

And to answer my earlier question; just saw a pre-1997 m800 at the Dwarka sector 10 market, with coil springs possibly retrofitted, and man was it looking ugly! Its rear was raised insanely to the point that its whole axle was visible to a man standing 4metres behind (because of which i could see the springs by the way )!!

The handling must also not be hard to imagine! I just did not have my phone with me or i would have posted the pictures in the crazy modifications thread!
So that would be a no no for me!
Old 16th November 2008, 00:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

thanks
28000, are you kidding. Mine has lasted 2 lac kms and I am using it in rajasthan.
get it checked at few other places.

and @ others.
the coil can be fitted. You have to have a good foreman. work at maruti will cost a bomb.

If you are a DIY, you can shop at kabadi, i mean good kabadi like we have in Ahmedabad. A front collided total loss would do.
Old 16th November 2008, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
28000, are you kidding. Mine has lasted 2 lac kms and I am using it in rajasthan.
get it checked at few other places.

and @ others.
the coil can be fitted. You have to have a good foreman. work at maruti will cost a bomb.

If you are a DIY, you can shop at kabadi, i mean good kabadi like we have in Ahmedabad. A front collided total loss would do.
Hi SirAlec,
Actually i am myself not sure whether i need to change the dampers or not but i have observed a couple of instances which might say that the suspension might need some work if not replacement.
1-The bounce test.Pushed down each front car down ,the car will bounce back more than once and wobble like a boat.
2-I parked it at level ground.Placed my hand upright under each fron wheel.The left wheel well allows my hand to be placed more freely than the right.That is there is more space on the left side than the right.

Based on the above points you could tell me what kind of work i can get done on the shocks.
BTW. 2lacs on a m800 is way to go.

Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 10:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

hi guys,
my garage owner is of the opinion if i were to replace struts on a car then i have to change it in pairs.How true is this?.My 800's left shockers seem to weaker than the right and may need replacement (i have put it off for long now) so do i have to change both sides?

thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 10:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi guys,
my garage owner is of the opinion if i were to replace struts on a car then i have to change it in pairs.How true is this?.My 800's left shockers seem to weaker than the right and may need replacement (i have put it off for long now) so do i have to change both sides?

thanks
Ideally that would be the best option - but practically,only the weaker one needs to be replaced and then teh ride must be chacked.If required,the second one can be changed anyway,right?.

Yes,if it is the strut kits you are changing,then I will recommend both at the same time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks