Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 11:02   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Instead of Iridium plugs, Bosch Platinum+4 is recommended. I'm trying to source a set for my car.
Hi,

Why would you say that if I may ask. Just curious to know.

viper
Old 6th October 2007, 11:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Viper,

Better spark propogation and duration from what I've heard from those who're using it. Its sports a fixed gap that does doesnt need adjustment, and Bosch claims a long life.

But my dilema is Mico/Bosch India have something called a Super 4. I 've sent them an email asking for clarification whether its the same thing.

Last edited by theMAG : 6th October 2007 at 11:23.
Old 6th October 2007, 11:25   #48
BANNED

Hi,

Don't Iridium Plugs do the same thing if not better. Just trying to understand why you would recommend Super 4 Platinum which costs approx 2k a set and not xyz Iridium which costs approx 2.6k a set compared to regular Mico/Champion etc for approx Rs400/- a set.

Viper

Quote:
Viper,

Better spark propogation and duration from what I've heard from those who're using it. Its sports a fixed gap that does doesnt need adjustment, and Bosch claims a long life.

But my dilema is Mico/Bosch India have something called a Super 4. I 've sent them an email asking for clarification whether its the same thing.
Old 6th October 2007, 11:28   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mahesh, I might sound silly, but WHY do you need platinums? Have you upped your compression?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 6th October 2007 at 11:32.
Old 6th October 2007, 11:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Don't Iridium Plugs do the same thing if not better. Just trying to understand why you would recommend Super 4 Platinum which costs approx 2k a set and not xyz Iridium which costs approx 2.6k a set compared to regular Mico/Champion etc for approx Rs400/- a set.

Viper
Sorry, I didnt know they costed that much. Pricing enquiry was supposed to happen after I found a source.

If thats the case, I might reconsider my decision abt these plugs.
Old 6th October 2007, 18:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Viper,

Super4 is not platinum. You might have to check out if there is super4 platinum.
Old 6th October 2007, 20:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents about Iridium plugs...
I had fitted OWS plugs on my Santro last year along with a K&N conical filter. Now there was a slight performance increase, but nothing drastic (and I dunno which of the two enhancements contributed what). Anyone expecting the plugs to translate into a significant gain in hp is going to be disappointed.
Now I have switched back to regular copper plugs in my Santro (switched the iridiums to my Lancer), and I have found one notable difference. There is zero sluggishness in the engine after a cold start when the Iridiums are fitted, while a definite sluggishness can be felt when using the copper ones. Once the engine heats up, there is not much difference that I can detect.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2007, 23:57   #53
BHPian

Iridium Spark Plugs: What are the benefits?

Hi,
I was planning to change the spark plugs in the Baleno(done 85K). So before I go for the regular stock ones, I thought of looking into the iridium spark plugs. Can anyone tell me.
1> What are the benefits of fitting iridium spark plugs?
2> Whats the price?
3> What are the other options (if any) if I am planning to do this from a performance perspective?
Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Mod's Note: Carry out a search to find a relevant thread to post into, rather than opening new threads everytime for the same old topics.

Threads merged.
Old 8th October 2007, 08:57   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooooom View Post
1> What are the benefits of fitting iridium spark plugs?
None! Zilch! Nada on a stock car or a modified car unless you have changed your compression.

Quote:
2> Whats the price?
Spend the 2.5k on an air filter or something else. Will fetch you better results.

Quote:
3> What are the other options (if any) if I am planning to do this from a performance perspective?
Certainly not spark plugs. You might want to look at porting/polishing, intake & exhaust. For more info kindly rush through GTO review on "modying a car" in the advise section.
Old 8th October 2007, 09:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents about Iridium plugs...
and I have found one notable difference. There is zero sluggishness in the engine after a cold start when the Iridiums are fitted, while a definite sluggishness can be felt when using the copper ones. Once the engine heats up, there is not much difference that I can detect.
Perfect point...thats where the advantage of iridiums comes in IMHO. And probably a very very long life. Probably a turbo job requires iridums to be in.
Old 8th October 2007, 14:01   #56
BHPian

HI there
could any1 let me know if nology spark plugs are available in Mumbai or not & if yes at wht price.??
I hope I am not drifiting out of the topic though.

Chao
Old 14th August 2008, 08:22   #57
BHPian

iridium spark plugs-are they worth it?

hi guys,

i want to know if i change my stock spark plugs(NGK) to bosch iridium what will be the effects? is it worth it?
the bosch guy says there are best and will last for 1,00,000 kms! and they cost rs550-650/-for each plug.

i have recently changed my sprak plugs around 5000kms back. also i dont want to modify my car's orginal performance.just want to keep it in best health as far as possible! i mean will it have an adverse effect on my engine?

pls advice. also are the bosch aerotwin wipers worth a buy for chevrolet optra? they cost 850/= (for pair)and the normal bosch cost 350/=(for pair)-orignal ones-have been using it on all my cars and since a long time from this dealer.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2008 at 10:31. Reason: Search before opening a new thread
Old 7th September 2012, 12:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Iridium Spark Plugs-are they worth it?

Waking this old old thread from slumber to post some info, since i've been an Iridium convert after having used it in my Karizma and AStar, and now i'm looking forward to put some in my new Swift too. If not outright performance, which i couldn't measure, i've found that Iridiums made the engine run lot smoother. But the dyno tests show that they do make some more power, which is good.

Some links:
http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug4...fid=0&KID=3147

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f237...us-out-560293/

http://www.ek9.org/forum/engine/4255...ard-plugs.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-benefits.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEN FROM IMPORT TUNER MAGAZINE
Fact Or Fiction - Sparkplug Horsepower
Will More Expensive Sparkplugs Increase Horsepower?

By Luke Munnell

This month we introduce a new department to 2NR: Fact or Fiction. Think of it as a blatant rip-off of MythBusters, but with a little Power Pages thrown in for legitimacy. Outrageous manufacturers' claims, long-debated tuning rumors and promises too good to be true will be put to the test once and for all, every month. Got an angle you'd like us to investigate? Drop a line to:
factorfiction@importtuner.com

This month we investigate a common question many "noob" enthusiasts have about "upgrading" OE-recommended sparkplugs to more expensive alternatives: Will it increase power? To find an answer, we hit Ultimate Tuning's Dynojet dyno, armed with some basic tools, our project DC2 and some popular sparkplug contenders.

Test 1: Champion Copper Plus. Costing you $1.49 each, these OEM-style copper plugs are about as basic as it gets. There was some debate as to whether or not they'd actually lose power over our two month old NGK coppers, but after three pulls they proved their worth, powering our B18B to a six-run average of 131.9 whp and 118.6 lb-ft of torque.

Test 2: Champion Platinum Power. While Champion makes no claims that these plugs will increase power, online outlets selling the product do. In theory, platinum is a more efficient conductor than copper and should improve combustion and increase power. When put to a six-run test, however, they brought an average power improvement of only 0.8 whp and 0.0 lb-ft of torque.

Test 3: Champion Iridium. Iridium is a favorite among many big-name aftermarket manufacturers, exotic car OEMs and enthusiasts looking for an extra edge. The center electrode of an iridium plug tapers to a point as it nears its ground; the idea being that it focuses spark energy into a narrow, more intense arc, thus increasing combustion efficiency. These plugs narrowly made it to the dyno at all-the first one we installed broke off in the cylinder head when we tightened it with the specified method of a half-turn past hand-tight. While the plugs' build quality didn't impress us much, they actually made some power on the dyno-2.9 whp and 1.1 lb-ft of torque over the coppers!

Conclusion: Swapping spark plugs can increase power output if the OE-recommended plugs can't ignite air and fuel at maximum efficiency. In modified engines-those with increased compression, forced induction, nitrous or water/alcohol injection-a substantial improvement can be seen through upgrading stock ignition system components. Engines like our N/A, stock-compression B18B do pretty well with the OE-recommended plugs, and frankly we were surprised to see any gains at all; a testament to the benefits of iridium plugs. While we don't agree with "big power" claims often promised by spark plug manufacturers, if they can do a better job of increasing combustion effi ciency, you'll see a few extra ponies and a slight increase in fuel economy. Our suggestion? If you're going to replace your plugs, spend a few extra $$ and buy iridium.
Pulstar Plug Dyno
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...testing-2.html
Old 26th September 2012, 10:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

I installed Denso Iridium Power plugs in my Swift VVT yesterday and here are some pics. The first pic is OEM NGK vs Denso Iridium Power. The second pic is of the NGK Iridium which i had in the AStar, the OEM NGK and the Denso Iridium Power; you can see that the Denso Iridium Power has the smallest tip of them all. The third one is of the Denso Iridium Power spark plug packaging. Note the plastic protection tube over the sparking tip, the NGK Iridiums come with thick paper protection like regular plugs.

Iridium Spark Plugs-are they worth it?-img_0709.jpg

Iridium Spark Plugs-are they worth it?-img_0710.jpg

Iridium Spark Plugs-are they worth it?-img_0713.jpg

Denso Iridium Power spark plug tip is only 0.4mm thick. NGK Iridium tips are 0.6mm thick. They say that the smaller tip helps to concentrate the spark energy and generate a better spark compared to competition, Denso plugs feature a small groove on the grounding electrode which the company claims helps the spark grow. Since the Iridium is really small at 0.4mm these do not last as long as Denso Iridium Long Life plugs with 0.7mm tips or the NGK Iridium plugs. Denso recommends a changing interval at 30000 miles (48000 kilometres).

There is a marginal and easily noticeable difference in the way engine responds and behaves after these were put in. 1) The engine revs more cleanly, 2) There seems to be a positive difference in the way the car accelerates, 3) Torque low down seems to have improved, 4) Engine feels smoother overall. This is not new and i have experienced such improvements after i shifted to NGK Iridium plugs in the Karizma and the AStar in the past, but the difference in picking up revs and acceleration is more pronounced in the Swift than it was in the AStar. All in all i'm satisfied with the change.

This time did the Install myself since it didn't make sense to pay 100 bucks (the amount they charged for changing 3 plugs in my AStar) to the garage to change 4 plugs. Instead i bought the 16mm long-box hex and did the install myself. The plugs are under the airbox, so need to remove a part of the box to get to them.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 12:10   #60
BHPian

Experts, I am looking for Denso Iridium spark plugs for the SX4. Where can I find them in Pune and what would be the approx cost?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks