Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 11:26   #1
BHPian

Chevy Spark got stuck in water logging. URGENT Help needed

Hello Bhpians,

My Spark got stuck in water logging in yesterday's heavy rains, engine died when I was driving through "Headlight level" deep water. I was in first gear with half clutch but when I experienced a decrease in speed in the water, I slight took the foot of the accelerator and depressed it again, at then moment the engine died. With a bit more skill I should have made it through

I remembered reading in the forum about a Honda CR-V that got stuck in a similar situation and how recranking with the silencer still submerged in water complicated the situation. So I did not try to start the car again. I pushed it to an elevated portion of the road where there was not much of water and tried starting it but couldn't hear any cranking sound. I waited for a few minutes and tried again, now I could hear the cranking sound but car still did not start.

I contacted my dealer(TVS), his suggestion was to wait for 10 minutes and try again, if that does not work, since their breakdown unit is currently in Peenya, please contact Vijai motors for a faster response..

By that time two complete strangers looking at my plight came to my rescue. On enquiring, I found that both of them have passed by my car (in their cars) when I got stuck in the water logging. They have parked their car in their apartments(>1Km away) and have walked back to check my status. BTW it was still raining quite heavily. A very noble gesture

One of them was working as a driver, he suggested me to recrank it continuously with the clutch and the accelerator pressed, it should start in a few minutes. I couldn't imagine doing it to my Spark, I gave the key to him and he started the vehicle in about 10 minutes but the second the foot was taken off from the accelerator, the engine dies And the engine sound resembled an old diesel Amby sound. His advice was once the water dries, then things will come back to normal. I thanked them and drove the car back to my apartment about a KM away.

Today Morning Status
1) Car starts with the accelerator pressed but engine dies when accelerator is released.
2) It is still making a lot of noise, kind-off a old fan running
3) Oil check warning light is ON.

Can more informed members please advice on what I should do? Should I wait for some more time for the water to dry and try again or should I get it to the dealer workshop?

If I have to take it to the dealer, what are the items that may be included in the Job card, a list of items will really help so that I do not get coned.

Thanks!
Vijay
Old 15th August 2008, 11:35   #2
BHPian

A very similar thing happened to my Indica. At first the engine was not cranking. I waited for about 10 mins, re-cranked it and it started. However , a wheat steam was coming out from under the bonnet and the engine was dying as soon as a was removing my leg from the accelerator. I managed to return home by driving like this. I called up TATA guys and they came to my house. The service personnel advised me to leave the car with the bonnet open under the sun under someone's super-vision for 2-3 days. On 4th day, the car started, there was no engine noise but the fan-belt was making a very shrill noise which too eventually disappeared after driving for 4-5 days. So what I advise you to do is wait for a two or four days, and see what happens instead of giving your car to GM right now. They might charge you bucks and do practically nothing !
Old 15th August 2008, 11:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

just wait till the sun shines, water dries off and till then don't drive/start the car. As suggested, wait for 2-3 days -- anyway it's a long weekend :-)

Also Spark would be covered in that GM scheme called some 'Cashless Service Offer' or something similar?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th August 2008 at 11:40.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do not try anything any more. Wait for the service team to inspect. Trying something out may push you out of their cashless service offer.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is better to ask the Service guys inspect at your place and if that does not work get it towed to the service station and get a thorough job done

Get the thing checked before starting the vehicle again, because something else can get screwed up...

Enjoy your long weekend at home with your family
Old 15th August 2008, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

What does your engine oil feel like?

Ideally you shouldn't have started the car, once it's stalled in waterlogged condition.

Check if any of the vaccum hoses have come undone. Could be loss of compression.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:27   #7
BHPian

I guess the water entered your engine. Is your exhaust smoke white ? ?
Old 15th August 2008, 13:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Do not try anything any more. Wait for the service team to inspect. Trying something out may push you out of their cashless service offer.
PLEASE DONT TRY ANYTHING MORE with the car for now. Your car needs professional attention and checking air filter, all fluids and electrical's would be the top priority.
Old 15th August 2008, 13:39   #9
BHPian

In recent heavy downpour in mumbai i have seen 2 cars got water logged till headlight level, the engine died & after coming out of water they tried cranking the car & also tried jump start, the result was that both cars, a Laura & Zen the connecting rods got bend. Laura damaged his 1 piston too since it was stuck inside the bore due to water entering the engine. You sure don't want that thing to happen to your engine.
Old 15th August 2008, 13:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes a call to the GM service centre to get the men in blue is most desirable. Do not either try to start or to move the car.
Old 16th August 2008, 09:31   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
What does your engine oil feel like?
I have no idea on how to check.

Update:
Today morning the car started with ease but little bit of accelerator is necessary (Much better than yesterday) and noise has subsided too

I have called the GM helpline and they will visiting me shortly. I will keep the group posted
Old 16th August 2008, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Soory for hijacking Lord's thread, but can someone tell me what damages may occur in an Innova Diesel engine if it is water logged, and some attempts at cranking are made ?

Reason : my cousin's innova was stuck in water near Dervan ( konkan ) - water level upto his waist ( he's 5'10" ) - so i assume it was about 3', and the local mechanics pushed it out of water, checked on the oil dipstick and told that there's no water in the engine. After this, buggers removed water from air filter etc. and tried to crank her up. She didn't and they tried one more time and i have no idea what noises/ fumes it gave out while the mechs tried their best ( ?? ) as i was not present there.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 16th August 2008 at 09:41.
Old 18th August 2008, 11:15   #13
BHPian

just a piece of info if you are sure water has not entered intake and crank crank crank crank and it starts then do not let the engine die. keep it above the idle rpm for 10 / 15 mins and on an open stretch drive for 20 to 30 mins a bit of agressive driving, this should help most of the water traces to be shoved out of exhaust (white smoke will appear) and electricals will dry.
Old 18th August 2008, 11:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the service guys to check/ tow, next time dont try to cross any water if the level goes beyond half of your wheel rims.
Old 18th August 2008, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions

I have no idea on how to check.

Update:
Today morning the car started with ease but little bit of accelerator is necessary (Much better than yesterday) and noise has subsided too

I have called the GM helpline and they will visiting me shortly. I will keep the group posted
Any updates? Did GM charged for this? or it comes in 3 yrs Cashless ownership? I doubt it is, but would like to know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks