Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2008, 09:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Engine knocking & hesitation

I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 zxi nxt (2004) (46k kms). I currently am situated outside India and the car is sometimes put to use by my Dad, who was somewhat of an automobile enthusiast earlier but lost a lot of his interest due to official commitments. But this weekend, he used that car to take our family, back home, out to a sea side spot 200 kms away from Calcutta. On the way the car started knocking while accelerating.

It knocks while accelerating. But runs smooth when cruising at a certain speed. Thats what he tells me, currently he is still at that sea side spot. He also adds that this is a new phenomenon, even last weekend he had taken the Ikon on a longish drive and the car had displayed no problems in reaching the top speed it does, in comparison now, this car refuses to go over 12okmph. Till about 105 its still a breeze.

Idling is smooth. Now I know my Dads knowledge level and I trust his observation.

The spark plugs were changed last service (5 months back), since then, the car had done couple of jaunts on the highway without issues.
We always refuel from a reputed pump, and the car has not been tanked on the highway.

I think its the (in)famous Ikon ignition coil at it. I would also like the Injectors cleaned.

All that, after they come back and give the car for repairs (car still under warranty).

Putting this up, for the opportunity of brainstorming before giving it for the job.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th August 2008 at 09:36.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:19   #2
BHPian

You know 1100 such issues are so common with the 1.6 that i rarely see people on this forum modding the Ikon because i am sure most of the time and money is spent on just maintenence, unfortunately i too am a part of this league and am really pissed off with the reliability issues of the Ikon and such problems like idling, knocking keep recuring time and again and dont have a permanent solution.

Coming back to your problems, the symptoms indicate a faulty ignition coil or one of the spark plug wires/ignition wires not working. Apart from this i would reccomend running a ECU scan before any work is done as the sensors also conk off often on the Ikon resulting in such problems.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
You know 1100 such issues are so common with the 1.6 that i rarely see people on this forum modding the Ikon because i am sure most of the time and money is spent on just maintenence, unfortunately i too am a part of this league and am really pissed off with the reliability issues of the Ikon and such problems like idling, knocking keep recuring time and again and dont have a permanent solution.

My car has so far not been unreliable. Touchwood neither it is now. Every car has some known issues. We also know the depth of modding on cars that allow you to do so.

Could you point out to any specific sensor, failure of which, could cause knocking while acceleration only, but make the engine run smooth on cruising at a particular speed or idle.

I could add the ignition wires, to the coil being the culprit. But as the plugs were replaced, the wires were personally inspected by my Dad (and we dont have rat problems).

Quote:
or one of the spark plug wires/ignition wires not working.
Its seemingly not running with one of its spark plugs being disconected (or one of the wire snapped). I had asked him and he said know the idle is quite smooth. He knows very well how it would run with one cylinder not contributing anything. It could be that the wires are internally degenerated, but that wouldn't happen with a well garaged <4yr old car.

ECU Scanning is a good idea, if its the ignition coil it will point it straight away.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th August 2008 at 10:44.
Old 16th August 2008, 11:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Could you point out to any specific sensor, failure of which, could cause knocking while acceleration only, but make the engine run smooth on cruising at a particular speed or idle.
I had a similar issue in which the TP Sensor was diagnosed as faulty, like always Ford was hellbent on changing it but i told them to clean it and the problem rectified.
Also my car has some exposed electrical circuit/wire in which if moisture settles, the engine starts knocking at a particular RPM. That exposed circuit/wire has'nt still been identified.

Quote:
It could be that the wires are internally degenerated, but that wouldn't happen with a well garaged <4yr old car.
Those wires can degenerate with use aswell and a car which has run 47K odd kms and >4yrs its quite possible.
Old 16th August 2008, 11:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IAlso my car has some exposed electrical circuit/wire in which if moisture settles, the engine starts knocking at a particular RPM.
Like I said, on our car it doesn't happen at any particular rpm. It happens whenever torque/acceleration/pickup is required.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:12   #6
BHPian

1100 D, this definitely sounds like the Ikon ignition coil issue. (I should know, having replaced the coil on my Mom's car twice and on mine once!)

Please ask your father if there is any smell of petrol as well. If there is, the chances of it being the ignition coil are higher. Of course, if it isn;t very violent knocking, it could simply be a case of clogged injectors.

Hope its the latter, get the injectors cleaned before touching the ignition coil. The service engineers at Ford (atleast in Mumbai) love to change anything at the drop of a hat!
Old 16th August 2008, 21:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
1100 D, this definitely sounds like the Ikon ignition coil issue. (I should know, having replaced the coil on my Mom's car twice and on mine once!)

Please ask your father if there is any smell of petrol as well. If there is, the chances of it being the ignition coil are higher. Of course, if it isn;t very violent knocking, it could simply be a case of clogged injectors.

Hope its the latter, get the injectors cleaned before touching the ignition coil. The service engineers at Ford (atleast in Mumbai) love to change anything at the drop of a hat!
No smell of petrol.

Your direction is quite right, if its the coil, you would have the smell of uncombusted fuel.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:52   #8
BHPian

Are you sure on the quality of fuel that has gone in of late – or any impurities/water gone in? Did it get filled up at any non-usual gas station?
Old 16th August 2008, 22:23   #9
BHPian

Clean and Decarb the Throttle Body, also did you change the Fuel filter - Under the Car , near the Fuel tank? , most dealerships don't do it at specified intervals
(20k kms) and it will result in hesitation and knocking.
Old 16th August 2008, 22:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Had a similar problem in our Astra. Turned out to be the plug wires. A good electrician can check its condition using a multimeter
Old 17th August 2008, 10:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, on our car it doesn't happen at any particular rpm. It happens whenever torque/acceleration/pickup is required.
Sorry! I meant the same thing, my car used to idle fine but when you accelerated, the engine knocked. But it gets fine when the moisture dries up.
With your car it has to be the plug wires or ignition coil, but do get a scan done first.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
The service engineers at Ford (atleast in Mumbai) love to change anything at the drop of a hat!
No bro i think its standard with all Ford Workshops to change even if the matter can be resolved with a simple repair job. I have experienced this in Delhi.
Seems like they dont have the word "repair" in their dictionary
Old 17th August 2008, 11:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

Things i would check:
Plugs (yes they can fail even if its new)
Plug wires/Caps
Coils
Fuel filer
Injectors
Throttle body
Old 17th August 2008, 12:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No bro i think its standard with all Ford Workshops to change even if the matter can be resolved with a simple repair job. I have experienced this in Delhi.
Seems like they dont have the word "repair" in their dictionary

I said the same yesterday in a different thread

BTW I have changed 2 ignition coils in 3 years.

Originally Posted by kiku007
Myth? Buddy I coughed up 3.3K for replacing the Combination Switch (The Lights, Wiper Stalk)
Issue: Brake Light, Parking Lights Now functioning
Reason For Replacement: That C thingy is not servicable

Then paid 7K to fix the AC Compressor. The word "Repair" = "Replace ONLY" in Ford A.S.S
Old 17th August 2008, 17:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I said the same yesterday in a different thread

BTW I have changed 2 ignition coils in 3 years.

Originally Posted by kiku007
Myth? Buddy I coughed up 3.3K for replacing the Combination Switch (The Lights, Wiper Stalk)
Issue: Brake Light, Parking Lights Now functioning
Reason For Replacement: That C thingy is not servicable

Then paid 7K to fix the AC Compressor. The word "Repair" = "Replace ONLY" in Ford A.S.S

i know i know!
You know one of my friends, on the forum as ankitahuja had a really funny but true fullform for IKON or FORD.
@Ankit if you could please share it with all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks