Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2005, 10:47   #1
SCH
BHPian

MATIZ - Silencer noise

I have a Matiz SD Dec 99 model ; hav clocked 68000 km. it is in immaculate condition. Of late I have started experiencing some VROOOM noise on acceleration and also the noise now is more if parked stationary with Engine ON, compared to earlier times. Is it due to the silencer chipped at some place or due to carbon deposits in the silencer. Pls. advice
Old 14th March 2005, 19:01   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH
I have a Matiz SD Dec 99 model ; hav clocked 68000 km. it is in immaculate condition. Of late I have started experiencing some VROOOM noise on acceleration and also the noise now is more if parked stationary with Engine ON, compared to earlier times. Is it due to the silencer chipped at some place or due to carbon deposits in the silencer. Pls. advice

Hi , I have a Matiz - use it as my second car .It has clicked 1.7L. I did have the same issue - It appeared that the Silencer had a leak . I remember that the silencer comes in 2 parts . I replaced them and find no problems at all .
Old 14th March 2005, 20:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH
Is it due to the silencer chipped at some place or due to carbon deposits in the silencer. Pls. advice
Carbon deposits in silencer will make your car smoother in terms of noise. Must be a some small leak or crack. Considering the age, I think it's normal.
Old 14th March 2005, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

99 model...that makes your car around 5 years old...its normal for a silencer to have leaks...and more so if you live near the sea. The salty air accelerates the corrosion process. Get the exhaust system checked....and replace the necessary parts...this should solve your problems.

Drifter
Old 14th March 2005, 22:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

same thing happened to my 2000 Santro a few years ago
got it changed
they put a repaired one instead of a new one
if you have the dough and wanted to do it sometime now is the perfect time to put in your performance exhaust
Old 15th March 2005, 11:10   #6
SCH
BHPian

Got the silencer inspected; there was a leak / small crack, welding wouls solve the problem.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 15th March 2005, 12:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH
Got the silencer inspected; there was a leak / small crack, welding wouls solve the problem.

Thanks for all the input.
I suggest you get it replaced . I got it welded - but it could not hold . the hassle to run to the mechanic will be prevented.
Old 23rd March 2005, 00:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dear SCH

Having been a Matiz owner for 5 years until last month, one thing is for sure, the exhaust system on a Matiz is prone to rust and a crack in the silencer does occur once in a 18-24 months on an average. I did face this problem 3 times, solved it once by welding it, but it lasted for no more than 4 months.

Take it as you see it, it is a recurring problem. See for how long it lasts, once the weld gives away, just change the last three sections.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks