Team-BHP - How to remove Coal Tar.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   How to remove Coal Tar. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/44237-how-remove-coal-tar-2.html)

Kerosene and Diesel anyone will do the trick of removing the Tar from your car without effecting the paint of your car.

Would sugest to mix up with the shampoo and do the cleaning job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmalts (Post 943526)
Last week I had to remove some white cement that flowed on to my car fender from the car park cieling. I removed it with harpic :)

Nirmal

Nirmal please do not use the Harpic it will effect the colour of the car by diminishing.

Ajay

Whatever you do,please have the affected polished with a good quality wax after it.

I have used diesel and Acetone(thinner) lot of times to remove tar from the running board as both my vehicles are white colored and these things are easily visible on them.

After that i usually pamper them with a dense coating of 3M polish and trust me paint stays new forever.

There are tar spots on my alloy rims.Can kerosene/diesel be used to clean the rims as well.Dont want the rims to lose their shine.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowda79 (Post 943540)
Nirmal please do not use the Harpic it will effect the colour of the car by diminishing.

This was whitecement and it could have been removed only with a rubbing compound. I took a very dilute solution of harpic and later shampoed it off. If used often, this sure will affect the paint.

Nirmal

diesel and shampooo is the perfect solution just ..removed the tar deposits on my swift yesterday, but lot of patience is required.

Update - I used diesel and car shampoo and the tar has gone off for good ! The paint and shine seems to be as earlier. Although I do plan to get some 3M polishing done soon. Thanks guys :)

Use WD40 - you won't even need to rub it as you would if you used kerosene/ Diesel/ acetone - tar just melts away. My car was plastered with Tar on the way back from Shimla once and i found this to be the easiest way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonov (Post 944347)
Update - I used diesel and car shampoo and the tar has gone off for good ! The paint and shine seems to be as earlier. Although I do plan to get some 3M polishing done soon. Thanks guys :)

I did a similar thing last weekend. Just soaked a small piece of cloth with Kerosene(very little quantity) and rubbed off, and immediately wiped off with car shampoo. Just worked perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn (Post 943864)
There are tar spots on my alloy rims.Can kerosene/diesel be used to clean the rims as well.Dont want the rims to lose their shine.
Thanks.

You can use deisel / kerosene to remove tar from the alloys. I have done it many a times, no problems.

Cheers

Nothing to beat WD40, Does a perfect Job - just spray on required area and wait 5 mins and wipe off. NO pungent smell bla bla. One thing to remember after the 'Tar removal' is done - wash the area. So the best thing to do is to use WD40 a lil before you actually wash / clean your car.

Good ol' WD40 works wonders in this department. I use this to clean the door panels and thr running board of my car and it works wonderfully well.

Just spray it on and wipe it off after about 5 to 7 minutes. For more stubborn spots, use a cloth soaked in WD40 and gently rub to remove the spots!

Cheers,

gpa

ok guys.. need your help as I am a bit confused and I have a bigger problem. Its not just the running borads or panels but the whole car. It was parked on a street next to my office and they decided to tar the road so they did. Now my whole car is covered with small particles of tar! I washed the car with sonax this morning but it is as rough as yesterday. My mechanic said that he will have to do a rubbing and polish which will cost me 1800 bucks! Do I use WD40 on the whole car, wash and then polish it? I used Turtle Wax for polishing.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarmarishi (Post 1747229)
Do I use WD40 on the whole car, wash and then polish it? I used Turtle Wax for polishing.

You can use WD-40, but that would be a bit expensive, a cheaper option is to use a cloth soaked with diesel. A rubbing polish is not required, use a cloth soaked with diesel to get all the spots off and then wash your car with shampoo and polish it yourself. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa

An completely safe alternative to petrol/diesel, albeit more expensive, is to use soft butter. Apply sparsely on tar-spotted area, leave it for a few mins and rub gently with your finger. The butter dissolves the tar spots. Wipe clean and wash.

Thanks guys. Will ty the diesel option first I think :)