Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 13:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

It is simple. Use kerosene. It will remove all the tar spots. This is the old age remedy even the people laying tar use.
shishir_bn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2010, 13:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Diesel is safe enough. Works for all sorta carbon residue!
Old 24th February 2010, 14:14   #33
BHPian

I have had this coal tar spots problem many times. As mentioned in this thread, lot many things work in removing them - Kerosene, Diesel, WD40. Choose your poison.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:49   #34
BHPian

I've got a slightly off topic question but will diesel\kerosene be effective in removing oil stains from a concrete driveway? The stains themselves are rather deep and are quite distinct even after seeping up the excess oil with the help of leaving sand over the stains for a couple of days.

Many people abroad recommend using kitty litter on the stains, but am unsure of the availability of it in India, or if it is as cheap as abroad.

I'm not too keen on using a 'specialized' product for something like this as it always ends up being an overpriced version of some house hold product.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Kerosene should help you in removing the tar. infact the road laying guys either use diesel or kerosene to remove tar residues stuck to their hands i guess.
+1. Kerosene is best. That was what Raima motors used to remove tar from my car yesterday.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:35   #36
BHPian

Ok guys. Thanks. I finally removed it today with petrol. Took 2 hours for the whole process! Removed tar from the entire car (including glass) then washed it with Sonax car shampoo and then plain water. Finished it off wih Turtle wax. She looks as good as before now
Old 25th February 2010, 17:40   #37
BHPian

I personally thought that the ease with which WD40 works on these tar spot and stains is far better than the other alternatives. Yes, its expensive in comparison, But overall the smell and mess and re-cleaning the soaping and waxing... all these are far lesser efforts when using WD40.
I did Diesel once and i had to wash the area with soap WELL (to wash off the diesel.. and then my hands and then the wiping cloth etc.
The last time I used WD40. 5 mins later wiped it off along with the spots. And washed the car like always and dried it with ease.
My choice WD 40.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:19   #38
BHPian

yup. I tried getting WD40 but couldnt find it anywhere in Bangalore.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:42   #39
BHPian

If you don't find it at regular stores then try the duty paid shops, tools shops, spare part shops, or even hardware stores.
you get them in small 6" canisters too (that can be kept in the car)

hope you find this wonder spray!

Bangalore bhpians pls help
Old 26th February 2010, 15:33   #40
gpa
Senior - BHPian

WD40 available in JC Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
yup. I tried getting WD40 but couldnt find it anywhere in Bangalore.
Have you looked in JC Road? I pick it up from a shop there (JC Road) every 6 months or so. Can post details if you are keen on picking up a few cans.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Seems like good idea, even I have very small specks near the wheel areas that are hard to go out
Old 13th September 2010, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Any idea where I can get WD40 in Pune. Car was literally sprayed by tar by a jerk without any warnings. Everything including windshield, headlamps, bonnet has droplets of tar.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Unless I am confusing this WD40 with something else, you should be able to get it at most hardware stores. This is pretty neat thing to have around the house. Quite useful for door locks, hinges and other squeaking things.

The small spray is under Rs 50 and comes with a slender pipe thing for spraying hard to reach areas.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:13   #44
BHPian

Accumulation of Tar on the body .How to get rid of them ?

Hi everyone .
This is our experience on the Ritz. I have noticed some accumulation of tar and grease . It is very irritating and I am afraid if this will damage the paint.The tar is worst accumulating in the rains .The best way to get rid of these is by using kerosene or thinner but It will damage the paint .Is there anything called tar removers ?? Advice needed .Awaiting for suggestions.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Topic moved to this thread. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2010 at 14:31. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
Old 18th September 2010, 17:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Any idea where I can get WD40 in Pune. Car was literally sprayed by tar by a jerk without any warnings. Everything including windshield, headlamps, bonnet has droplets of tar.
Just as mmxylorider said, you should get it in most of the hardware shops. I bought one spray can from a shop in Vishrantwadi many months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Hi everyone .
This is our experience on the Ritz. I have noticed some accumulation of tar and grease . It is very irritating and I am afraid if this will damage the paint.The tar is worst accumulating in the rains .The best way to get rid of these is by using kerosene or thinner but It will damage the paint .Is there anything called tar removers ?? Advice needed .Awaiting for suggestions.
I have used kerosene and WD40. In my experience there is nothing to beat WD40. Just spray on the tar spots. Wait for a few seconds and then wipe clean. Very easy.

Most Viewed