Team-BHP - How to remove Coal Tar.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   How to remove Coal Tar. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/44237-how-remove-coal-tar-4.html)

I would strongly vouch for WD40 as I'm seeing its use everyday & it washes almost everything to perfect. If you were unable to get WD40, you may try one of its alternatives, Zorrik from Pidilite industries. Its a good one too. Costs about 55 Rs for 85 ml.

Hyderabad BHPian's

Any idea where we can get this product in Hyd? WD40

Will Miniser Road be a good place to try.

You can also try a product targeting Tar & Oil. IFTEX System Tar & Oil Remover. Its from the manufacturer of System G/D.

Quote:

IFTEX System Tar & Oil Remover IFTEX System Tar & Oil Remover greatly enhances the appearance of the vehicle by making it free of tar, asphalt, undercoating, road oil and dirt. Because of the high quality additive package, IFTEX System Tar & Oil Remover removes the foreign matter without having any effect on vehicle paint..
Check with them on its availability and where to purchase.

a visit to the car wash will do. they will soak the body with a nice coat of diesel and you can see the tar droplets giving away and flowing down.
cost involved Rs.300 - 400

Have noticed that when you go to a ***, they use "soap oil" to clean the cars that come in for servicing.
I will try and get details on the same and an image of the container next time i go there. This most probably will clean all stubborn dirt.

soap oil does not remove tar, best option diesel. i buy soap oil in 10 ltr cans for my punto and TBTS. cleans great, good shine but does not remove tar.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi2902 (Post 2151172)
soap oil does not remove tar, best option diesel. i buy soap oil in 10 ltr cans for my punto and TBTS. cleans great, good shine but does not remove tar.

Abhi

"soap oil" seems like an oxymoron to me. what is it?

I have used Meguair's Bug and tar remover. It works really well in removing hardned tar on paint.

By brother's White Merc had the same issue with tar all over his car, took it to the local washing fellow, he said he will spray it with diesel, keep it in sun for a couple of hours, till then the tar will loosen and then a good shampoo wash after that will do the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 2074447)
You can also try a product targeting Tar & Oil. IFTEX System Tar & Oil Remover. Its from the manufacturer of System G/D.

Has anybody used this product? Unlike other alternatives it seems to be targetting exactly what we want - Tar removal; on top of that it claims to be paint friendly.
I tried the Contact Us link on their website but it doesn't work. I've filled up their Enquiry form but not certain if it would be answered.

Till date I've only used diesel with Amway's Car Wash (silicone based) for tar spot removal. It does work but as everybody must've experienced, needs lot of patience. At times it seems so funny that at first I wash the surface with car wash, then comes diesel to remove tar spots, then comes car wash to wipe off diesel, then my hands (drenched in diesel) to be washed with soap, too much washing!!! :D

If anybody has any information on where to procure this from please let me know, thanks.

WD 40 does the job well and a small containeer is also available in ~ Rs 90.
It was sufficient to clean tar off the windshield, bonnet, front fenders , front bumber and side view mirrors (of Civic) and it was easy to use.

Although I read it does not affect the paint as a precaution I washed it off and that requires efforts (not sure how differently but may be similar to washing off diesel). I had to as the remains were all over the windshield and I presumed driving would not have been safer..

IMHO, I have used diesel. It requires a couple minutes to soak and then it's a simple wipe-off, even for the worst tar patches around the footboards and underbody below the tires. I use clean cotton waste dipped in diesel and then gently rubbing it over the tar spots first, then a wipe-off with another clean cotton waste piece again dipped in diesel. You then need to wash your car with a shampoo and then wax it to replinish the wax layer. The shampoo needs to be more concentrated than normal in order to wash off the oil.

It's the cheapest and most effective way to get tar off.

I use Amway Car Wash and have diesel with me. Car Wash is to be used as half cap in 8 litres of water. How much diesel do I add to this solution to wash the car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhipuru16 (Post 2152012)
I use Amway Car Wash and have diesel with me. Car Wash is to be used as half cap in 8 litres of water. How much diesel do I add to this solution to wash the car?

@abhipuru16,
:Shockked: Wait, do not add diesel to that solution.
As mentioned by others or recently by @sas, just use cotton waste to dip in diesel and clean the places where there is tar. Then give your car a regular car wash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 943011)
I have used kerosene to remove tar from the running board of my car. Works instantly, no problem ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotorhead (Post 943115)
Kerosene should help you in removing the tar. in fact the road laying guys either use diesel or kerosene to remove tar residues stuck to their hands i guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver (Post 943140)
Have to add one more thing... both Kerosene and Diesel are dust-magnets and are hard to wash off because of their oily nature. You may have to wipe the panel multiple times with a damp cloth to remove the traces. This is probably where the car shampoo part helps.

+ 1 to this. I have used Kerosene, worked really well but I prefer using diesel. One issue is that you will need to wash your car really well after this as the oil sticks on. May be multiple car washes with shampoo should do the trick. This is how I removed the excess oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msaudf (Post 2074596)
a visit to the car wash will do. they will soak the body with a nice coat of diesel and you can see the tar droplets giving away and flowing down.
cost involved Rs.300 - 400

This is an expensive option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sans (Post 2152028)
@abhipuru16,
:Shockked: Wait, do not add diesel to that solution.
As mentioned by others or recently by @sas, just use cotton waste to dip in diesel and clean the places where there is tar. Then give your car a regular car wash.

+1 . Just use a piece of cloth / cotton and rub the area softly. Then immediately wash it off.