Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 13:24   #46
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Mithun,

A great source of info from the link. Thanks.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 10th July 2009, 14:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

While negotiating extended stretches of slow moving traffic, I switch the A/C off in my Alto but leave the blower on in fresh air mode. Then switch the A/C on in recirculation mode once I pick up speed. With short stretches of slow moving traffic, I just leave it on. I don't use the "booster" effect on the highway either because 80 KM being the speed I am most comfortable at right now, there is hardly any oppurtunity to overtake!

But I doubt switching on and off every now and then will harm the compressor. May be it will wear out the push button fast!
Old 10th July 2009, 16:47   #48
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But I doubt switching on and off every now and then will harm the compressor. May be it will wear out the push button fast!
Gansan,

Don't switch on the compressor on and off repeatedly. It will lead to premature failure of the compressor. The compressor requires a huge amount of power each time its starts up and will wear out prematurely if switched on and off frequently.

This will also affect your FE as the compressor will have to start up and cool warm air again rather than if it were already switched on and running.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 10th July 2009, 17:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

Don't switch on the compressor on and off repeatedly. It will lead to premature failure of the compressor. The compressor requires a huge amount of power each time its starts up and will wear out prematurely if switched on and off frequently.

This will also affect your FE as the compressor will have to start up and cool warm air again rather than if it were already switched on and running.

Cheers,
gpa
Few post back many of members already said, new modern CAR A.C. will not easily go Bad with frequent ON/OFF.

For myself, I keep AC running continuously on my Santro, and i feel following things.

When running AC with Blower speed 1 or 2 (Rotary switch) it trips quite frequently once the car is Cool, while on Full speed Air-flow, it takes a lot of time before it trips.

It consume a lot of Fuel when AC is on while car is parked somewhere.

In cars with Electronic Climate control, take their own sensor temperature and then maintains the desired temp. no matter whether it Trips or SLOWS down the cooling air flow.

Also car where Thermostat is Dirty, (less sensitive) due to excessive dust will NOT TRIP accurately. this is one of the neglected things on CAR AC.
Old 11th July 2009, 07:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

Cheers,
gpa
I was offering an opinion on another query, I don't have to switch on/off that frequently. I encounter extended slow moving traffic very rarely on my route.
Old 12th July 2009, 16:04   #51
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Few post back many of members already said, new modern CAR A.C. will not easily go Bad with frequent ON/OFF.
When you have switched on the a/c the compressor will switch on and off intermittently as per the need to maintain the desired cabin temperature. Manually switching on and off (pressing the compressor switch) is what will lead to wear in the system.

Recently, during a free check-up camp organized by my local M.A.S.S, the a/c mechanic mentioned this to a customer who asked him if he could save fuel by manually switching off the compressor ever so often.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks