Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 15:25   #31
BHPian

Hi Arun...

Here we meet again....There are slim chances of the engine being rebuilt with just 80-85k on the odo. I got my Sierra's engine rebuilt at 1.6lacs on the odo.

If, however, you are in doubt, you can closely inspect the heads of the bolts on your engine head. If they have been opened even once, you'll see the abuse on the heads...

Also, when you say that the mechanics have inspected the vehicle, they would have surely let you know if the engine was redone because this is one of the first things that these mechanics note - how much 'back compression' is being produced by the engine and whether the engine has been rebuilt!

But you see, the engine head can also be opened when only the valves got bent. This happenned to my Sierra - a rat got trapped in my timing belt mechanism and it was killed. Unfortunately, the rat dried and one of its bones got entangled between the timing belt and the gear and broke the timing belt. At that time, it had only been one month of having acquired my Sierra and I 'self-ed' it quite a few times. My valves got bent and the engine head was opened. On the lathe-machine, new Kirloskar valves had to be put. This is virtually half of the engine rebuilding work...
Old 16th January 2009, 13:31   #32

Want some solutions...

Hey friends ,
I do own a beast its a safari EX 4X4 2004 model..the mileage i get is close to 9 with A/C.Can anyone tell me whether there is a difference in mileage with the 2 wheel drive's and the 4 wheel drives, since i heard that even this makes a difference in the mileage..
My another doubt is can anyone tell me whether I can adjust the fog light in the front as I recently changed my bulbs from 90/100 to 100/130 and for fog lights its 100v..The guys who adjust these light have no idea about adjusting those fog lights..and its focusing is really bad..see if anyone can find a solution for this problem..
Finally about the black smoke topic in this thread .. its like even i get black smoke in my safari only in the 2nd gear that too if i cross a certain rpm and the mechanics in TATA told me that is due to the carbon content in the silencer and de-carbonizing would be a solution..finally got it done..actually as i have heard is that if there is white smoke emitted then we have some serious problem but black smoke's is fine..upto an extent..

Excuse me if there is anything wrong in what i have stated..
Old 4th February 2009, 18:31   #33

No replies

..guys why is'nt anyone replying..?
Old 4th February 2009, 20:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I expected other present Safari owners to reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedagiri1983 View Post
I do own a beast its a safari EX 4X4 2004 model..the mileage i get is close to 9 with A/C.Can anyone tell me whether there is a difference in mileage with the 2 wheel drive's and the 4 wheel drives, since i heard that even this makes a difference in the mileage..
The weight of the additional systems and the actual 4 wheel drive systems do have a say in the fuel economy and this should be less than an equivalent 2 wheel drive Safari. I have experience only on TCIC 2 wheel Safari.

Quote:
My another doubt is can anyone tell me whether I can adjust the fog light in the front
There is no alignment facility for the fog lamps as far as I know. These are fixed by screws to the bumper. See if they are correctly tightened.

Quote:
its like even i get black smoke in my safari only in the 2nd gear that too if i cross a certain rpm and the mechanics in TATA told me that is due to the carbon content in the silencer and de-carbonizing would be a solution..finally got it done..actually as i have heard is that if there is white smoke emitted then we have some serious problem but black smoke's is fine..upto an extent..
That is essentially true. The black smoke is basically unburnt diesel fuel, whereas engine oil being burnt in the engine would result in the light coloured smoke.

How much did they charge for the decarbonisation?
Old 5th February 2009, 19:18   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My another doubt is can anyone tell me whether I can adjust the fog light in the front as I recently changed my bulbs from 90/100 to 100/130 and for fog lights its 100v..The guys who adjust these light have no idea about adjusting those fog lights..and its focusing is really bad..see if anyone can find a solution for this problem..
Hi Vedagiri:

Sorry if you already know this but auxiliary light reflectors are designed for different light beam patterns. I think what you are looking for is a long range driving light.

Fog lights are designed to throw a low light just a feet or two above the ground The light is dispersed in a wide bean and is not mean to go beyond a certain distance. The reason is that if you light is through in a straight and long range pattern the water particles in the fog will reflect the light back into your eyes and decrease the distance you can see. Fog lights try to prevent that by putting out a low/dispersed beam pattern.

So your OEM fog lights will never become a long range driving light even if you put 100 watt bulbs the throw of the light is a design of the reflector and not the bulb. You should see an improvement in the area covered by your light but you won't be able to adjust the beam pattern.
Old 6th February 2009, 01:30   #36

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Hey thanks for your reply dude..and i have actually misplaced the bill where i have the exact price for De-carbonizing is mentioned..will find in a couple of days and will let you know..but i think its a waste as i see no much difference..or it must be that they have not worked properly on it...
Old 9th February 2009, 11:54   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Vedagiri:

I think what you are looking for is a long range driving light.

Fog lights are designed to throw a low light just a feet or two above the ground The light is dispersed in a wide bean and is not mean to go beyond a certain distance. The reason is that if you light is through in a straight and long range pattern the water particles in the fog will reflect the light back into your eyes and decrease the distance you can see. Fog lights try to prevent that by putting out a low/dispersed beam pattern.

So your OEM fog lights will never become a long range driving light even if you put 100 watt bulbs the throw of the light is a design of the reflector and not the bulb. You should see an improvement in the area covered by your light but you won't be able to adjust the beam pattern.
Just Writting in to appreciate the very accurate and correct explanation from your end.

The sad bit is that the "Long Range Lights" as mentioned by you are typically referred to as "Fog Lights" - incorrectly ofcourse in the accessories markets in India.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:42   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Just Writting in to appreciate the very accurate and correct explanation from your end.

The sad bit is that the "Long Range Lights" as mentioned by you are typically referred to as "Fog Lights" - incorrectly ofcourse in the accessories markets in India.
What you need ideally is pencil beam driving light like the Hella Rallye 4000 which comes in both fog and driving light pattern. I have the clear lens drviing light version and it throws concentrated beam of light far up ahead than my stock headlights. Higher wattage will give you intensity by their higher lumens, throw is entirely up to the lens.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/h...ndexmain.shtml

Last edited by Gurkha : 9th February 2009 at 12:48.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:59   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Has 1.75L kms crossed 2.00l kms by now - a new record on TBHP ?Am myself at 1.55L on the TCIC- all self driven and maintained.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Has 1.75L kms crossed 2.00l kms by now - a new record on TBHP ?Am myself at 1.55L on the TCIC- all self driven and maintained.

Great!!, Can you tell me what you use to clean the interior's of the car.
And i am sure to cross 2.0Lac mark by June 2010, As from nov-june is the peak buisness season and i have to travel alot.Current ODO reading is 143980kms
Old 5th December 2009, 20:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hey friends ,
I own a 4wd TCIC Safari and I usually get a mileage of 8-9 kmpl with 100% AC on in city traffic.

I even got a mileage of 7.xx kmpl once.

Last edited by sumannandy : 5th December 2009 at 20:51.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:35   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

4WD would be about 0.3 kmpl less and 2WD. Safari 4WD is not full time so the impact is mainly due to excess wt.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:35   #43
AVR
BHPian

I have a EX TCIC4x4 and it gives an average of 8.5-9.5 in the city with AC on.
It has done 98K Kms and is extremely smooth thanks to the Bardahl engine flush and fuel+oil additives.

I strongly recommend that everyone give them a shot to enhance performance and life.

Adi
Old 7th December 2009, 20:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I have a EX TCIC4x4 and it gives an average of 8.5-9.5 in the city with AC on.
It has done 98K Kms and is extremely smooth thanks to the Bardahl engine flush and fuel+oil additives.

I strongly recommend that everyone give them a shot to enhance performance and life.

Adi
I used bardahl once. was a nice feeling.
but, somehow i like to keep my cars,bikes,... stock and running on what company provides. so, leaving that change i only filled normal engine oil and at each 2000kms i use cyclo diesel additive for injector cleaning.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Engine additives, in my opinion are Feel Good factor products.
Just change the usual oil in time. There is nothing that you can pour in your engine that will make it go faster, clean it or fix broken or worn out parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks