Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 10:49   #211
BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My Esteem is 2003 and is a VXi. It does come with an engine immobilizer. Since your car 2004 model am sure it should be equipped with one.

Try the following to ascertain the same. Lock the car using the remote and then open the driver side door using the key (the alarm should go off now). Now try starting the car. If equipped with the engine immobilizer, it shouldn't start. Hope this helps.
Thanks rr_zen. Tried the above and the Engine started. Perhaps, this could be due to how the security system is setup. I removed the stock Nippon and had Minda installed. Any other way to ascertain the presence of immobiliser? My car ought to have this!
Old 21st November 2015, 19:09   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sir, are you sure about this process? Asking because what comes to my mind is that we have used physical keys to open remote locked cars when batteries have drained from the fob and the car starts just fine. Have done this with my Civic a lot of times. Does your car start only when opened with the remote?

Thanks!
Good question. Since I own both Civic and Esteem, let me try to clarify this. The fundamental difference here is that in the Civic unlocking the car using the remote or by inserting the key in the door handle are one and the same meaning the car is armed and disarmed using either of the methods. However, in the Esteem this is different where the security is on only when the car is locked using the remote. When the car is locked/unlocked using the key it only activates the central locking system. This is how my car has been for the last 12 years and this is the factory setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomS_CarLog View Post
Thanks rr_zen. Tried the above and the Engine started. Perhaps, this could be due to how the security system is setup. I removed the stock Nippon and had Minda installed. Any other way to ascertain the presence of immobiliser? My car ought to have this!
If the engine started with the above, as you rightly said it could be to do with the security system. Again, I have the stock Nippon security system on my car and my experience is only with that. Since you say you have had it changed to a different one I would not be able to comment on that. I would suggest you take it to a qualified technician who can sort this out.

I have posted for reference the pics from the security system manual. The boxed portion of the second pic clearly tells you that the car indeed is equipped with an engine immobilizer. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Esteem Longevity-20151121_191808.jpg  

Maruti Esteem Longevity-20151121_191856.jpg  

Last edited by rr_zen : 21st November 2015 at 19:36. Reason: Adding pics from Nippon Owners manual
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:40   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I have been trying to find out if Esteem (VXI 2004) has an engine immobilizer. I read the car manual, but it does not mention anything about this. In this case, should I take this as "Esteem 2004 does not have an engine immobilizer"? Looking forward to the valuable feedback.
Just check the key. If it is the older type "Mechanical" key, with a thin plastic holder, then there is no immobilizer. If the key holder (base) is thick then it has an embedded chip and there will be an immobilizer.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:13   #214
BHPian

Thanks rr_zen & Aroy. My key has a thick black base. I am pretty sure the immobiliser is there. Now just need to figure out how to disable/enable it. I will be visiting MASS today. Hopefully they will enlighten me.

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 22nd November 2015 at 10:14.
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:42   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just check the key.
Quote:
My key has a thick black base.
I am pretty sure the immobiliser is there.
Aroy is correct, the key is a good indicator of the presence of the 'iCats' system, however, in your case I'm not sure if it's indeed present since the system itself was introduced only in 2007 or so.
The initial bunch of cars that came with the iCats system had prominent stickers in the rear glass, there's also a dashboard light, in the shape of a lock, which is an indicator light for the iCats system.
This does not mean that your car isn't equipped with an immobilizer, if you have an after-market security system, like the ones from Nippon, an immobilizer 'function' is activated when the alarm is triggered.
The difference is, in the aftermarket systems, the immobilizer function is usually achieved by disabling only the starter motor circuit, but the car can be started ( for example by push-starting ), in the iCats equipped cars, the ECU itself prevents the engine starting up.

Last edited by im_srini : 22nd November 2015 at 10:45.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:57   #216
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this has to do with the key and my reasons are:

1. To the best of my knowledge, the iCATs system was launched only after the Esteem's exit and no Esteem came with this feature. I have posted the pic of my key for reference below. (It is only a normal one and I don't think there is any chip inside that.)

2. The engine immobilizer in the case of the Esteem (with Nippon security system) is a feature provided by the security system (Nippon, in this case) and is not as such a feature built in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Esteem Longevity-20151122_104944.jpg  

rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:51   #217
BHPian

Thank you im_srini and rr_zen. I visited the MASS folks today. Well, my Esteem does not have an immobiliser. rr_zen's 2nd point above supports this. Query resolved.
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:35   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am not sure if this has to do with the key and my reasons are:

1. To the best of my knowledge, the iCATs system was launched only after the Esteem's exit and no Esteem came with this feature. I have posted the pic of my key for reference below. (It is only a normal one and I don't think there is any chip inside that.)

2. The engine immobilizer in the case of the Esteem (with Nippon security system) is a feature provided by the security system (Nippon, in this case) and is not as such a feature built in the car.
That is a plain key, no chip.
Old 14th November 2016, 20:57   #219
BHPian

Just sharing a pic of my lovely Esteem, to keep this thread alive ..

2005 Vxi at 1.4 lakh KMS

Maruti Esteem Longevity-img_20160710_190929171.jpg
gypsyFreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:52   #220
Senior - BHPian

I am a super heavy user and used to come to lakh km in 2 years or so. I had a 1996 esteem purchased second hand in 2000 with 24K on odo, and sold in 2005 with a running of 2.4 Lakh. Powertrain was perfect till the end, only work done there was one clutch change at about 1.3 Lakh km. Suspension was overhauled twice. Reason for sale was that the body refused to retain its integrity, there were lots of rattles, and front doors had sagged as the place where the upper hinge is fixed onto the 'A' pillar had stretched outward.
So any one still retaining an esteem and thinking of heavy usage check for body integrity.

Rahul
Old 15th November 2016, 11:53   #221
BHPian

79k is nothing for the suzuki engine my friend, if you regularly replace oil and fill good fuel you will have no issues.
I would suggest you use a fuel additive like system-g, trust me it really goes a long way in keeping your engine at its prime,removing carbon to some noticeable extent and keeping the car also clean.
I speak from my experience, i have a 1988 suzuki van and i have been using system g regularly not only has it made my engine more responsive but it also cleans a lot of junk something i can see in the tail pipe.
As far as the rattles are concerned they are pretty common for all marutis, you could check the door hinges for any play and if so then please replace them.
Lubricate all doors and that should take care of your rattles, if thats dosent help just crank up the audio volume.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks