Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 11:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Would recommned a clutch overhaul. All the tell-tale signs of it. Since its an Esteem, its not very expensive also. If I remember correctly i paid about 3k for the plate change and stuff. Incase you dont want to pay too much labour charges, then go to Automechs (in the directory) and ask for Naveen to work on the car. This is where I get everything done for my car. Also, my car is a 2005 as well
sarmarishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 14:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Owns an 2001 model MPFi Esteem which has just completed 1,05,000 kms on the odo. Runs smooth and perfect. Engine and gearbox is touchwood.

Door hinge replacement and stickers helps reduce the rattling.

Under body Rusting is something which you need to give high priority for. As per the feedback I get from the service center, Esteem's under body rusts pretty quickly and it's always better to have it checked regularly and take preventive measures.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 19:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2003 Esteem VXi which has clocked 42kms till date. It drives like a dream even after 8 years and I have no intention of parting with it anytime in my lifetime. The clutch issue is a common one in the Esteem and I agree its not a great car to drive in bumper to bumper traffic and the primary reason for it being the poor low end torque.

I recently changed my clutch plate and cover assembly as it was too hard. Went hunting for Daikin but hard luck and had to settle down for Valeo. The factory fit was Ceekay. Would like to hear from fellow bhpians on availability of Daikin clutch plate for the Esteem.

And yes, like someone had commented a few posts before, everytime I see a Dzire I look at it with utmost contempt.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 20:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
One issue though. I find that I need to rev up the engine to 2000 to 2500 rpm before I can get it to start moving in 1st gear, that too with some mild shuddering. Is this normal ? ... feedback would be appreciated as to whether the clutch needs adjustment / replacement?
Got the car checked up at MASS yesterday, where I was told that there is a mild clutch shudder, but the clutch still has around 25 % life left, and I could use it for a few more months, absolutely safely. They adjusted the clutch play a bit, so feels better.

Also I feel that I was releasing the clutch a bit too quickly, as I used to do in my Ritz earlier. Controlling the clutch release has now helped me reduce the shudder in the Esteem.

No offence meant to Ritz owners, but IMO the Esteem handles far better than the Ritz, and is actually so much fun to drive that I exchanged my Ritz for the Esteem, after just one heck of a drive in my friend's Esteem Lxi !

I know I am wrong in comparing a successful, practical tall boy hatch like the Ritz, with a low slung sedan, guess I made the wrong choice in the first place, for my needs !

Wish they re-launch the Esteem / Baleno with a K-series engine plonked in, and with a facelift. Should sell well again I think, as the low slung sedan market is slowly getting wide open

Thanks to Rjstyles, Sarmarishi, Amalji and Rrzen for their valuable tips
Old 7th July 2011, 20:52   #35
BHPian

I remember reading an article about a BHP-ians Esteem D that lasted him 3 lac kms. 79k is nothing compared to that. (no offences meant). But the Esteem is a pretty strong car. Don't worry.
Old 7th July 2011, 21:26   #36
BHPian

My '97 Esteem has done 1,50,000 + and is still going strong. The body has started rusting at places , but it will be taken care of once I get the vehicle repainted in coming time, since I just do NOT want to get rid of her. Given a proper care, I am sure, one day I'll be taking her to Vintage Rallies. :-)
Old 19th July 2011, 20:20   #37
BHPian

Hi I am owner of esteem vxi 2007 model and have clocked 92000kms so far. Apart from body rattling as u suggest there has been no problem so far. Haven't gone for any major overhaul apart from small body work.amazing vehicle to own
Old 20th July 2011, 11:03   #38
BHPian

If I may add.. The Esteem is a no nonsense "fill it, shut it and forget it" car. This is my 3rd Esteem btw Have had a 95 (which was the best with the black Suzuki Engine) when I was in college, then a 1998 facelift and now the 2005. And believe me I have taken the previous Esteem to places no one will think of taking. Its something that has never given up on me till now! And hence was my decision to buy the 3rd one! I thought if I get another sedan and the places I sometimes go to all alone, If I get stuck I will be done for. And the greatest advantage is that it can be opened up anywhere. And because of driving an Esteem for so many years I exactly know how the car will behave under each situation. And believe me she has some amazing stability and control because of the low centre of gravity! Enjoy her to the fullest all of you. Happy Esteeming..

I might have to give her away though (with a heavy heart!) in a months time as I am shifting out of Bangalore to deep in the jungles of MP! She cant follow me there and she has only done 51k till now. She still drives like she came out of the factory yesterday :(

Last edited by sarmarishi : 20th July 2011 at 11:05.
sarmarishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:52   #39
BHPian

I have a 2007 Esteem VXi which has done 72000 kms till date. Except for clutch replacement did bit have to spend on anything. Lovely car. So smooth. It's so difficult to part from it.
Old 8th August 2011, 20:28   #40

Hi BHPians,

Could u please help me with finding out a body shell for my Esteem. Where can I source it from. I live in Chennai. Car engine condition is good, only outer shell and doors needs to be changed. Please suggest me a cheap and best place. I tired in Pudupet area it was not available.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:06   #41
BHPian

I have a 2004 Esteem Di that has clocked over 200,000 km on the odometer and looks like it can go up to at least another 100,000 km before it develops any real problems. The maintenance is quite cheap and the price difference between a MASS and other workshops doesn't justify settling for the latter. There is a bit of body rust behind the front wheel but it can be taken care of during the next paint job.

On the highway, the Esteem Di can do 120 kph and can manage 140 kph but beyond that is stretching it because of the high rpm. The mileage is still over 20 kpl on the highway but pickup/acceleration is not the Esteem diesel's forte.

I considered trading the Esteem in for an SX4 diesel but decided to stay with it for about another year. As two other members have mentioned, the DZire is far from being an Esteem replacement. Although it fits in the same price range - it just doesn't have the looks or the highway stability.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:45   #42
BHPian

Hi All,
I have a 2005 mpfi esteem run 96K+ KMs. Offlate there is sound coming from the underbody when ever i take deep right turn. The mechancis tell it is a drive shaft problem.
Also, this sound comes only when driver is there.
I think they are right.

Just want to know the life of the drive shafts, is it correct to replace them now or could there be any other problem.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
There is a bit of body rust behind the front wheel but it can be taken care of during the next paint job.
The Esteem can be safely used for 10 years with no worries ; a bit of iron oxides here and there is no reason to worry.

What I know is that the weakest point in an Esteem which is a pain is the area at the bottom of the strut apron which begins to weaken ; that is the time to say goodbye
Old 1st September 2011, 23:33   #44
BHPian

I've a 1998 Esteem VX that I bought in 2003 from TrueValue with 36K on the odometer. Currently at 99K km (used meagerly by dad for five years while I was abroad).

The good:
It is a fantastically reliable car and very cheap to maintain.
Silky smooth gear shift and free revving engine.
Splendid fuel efficiency too - 10kmpl city and 16-18 kmpl highway, always 100% AC. Practical too - fairly spacious boot and the back seats fold down to accommodate more cargo. Can be repaired by any roadside mechanic in an emergency.
Nice visibility all around, thanks to the generous glass area.

The bad:
Very low seating, ingress/egress is horrible. The wife can't stand it any more.
Thin sheet metal, typical of all Maruti products. Dings, scratches, and scrapes seem to affect it extra bad.
Uneven panel gaps galore.
Getting rattles fixed is a full-time job.
Floating sensation on the highway at high speed (90+).

The ugly:
Extremely weak air conditioner. In the brutal Delhi heat this is unforgivable.
Electrical fitments in general tend to run down the battery fast. Just drive at night in heavy traffic with AC, headlights, stereo, and wipers on. Within an hour you'll hear the horn volume begin to die down - time to reduce the electricity load on the car. This is the worst thing about this car.

For the "kitna deti hai" wallahs who prize fuel efficiency, long life, and cheap maintenance above all else, this is almost the perfect car. It will possibly outlive you.

Still, can't deny that it is an old, old design that lacks nearly all modern safety features and is pretty cramped inside.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:36   #45
BHPian

Pacifica,

I totally agree with you about visibility. You can turn around, look out the rear window and can see the handlebars of bikes and scooters parked behind you so you do not accidentally knock them over while reversing. The only problem that I have is with the 'A' pillar that reduces visibility a bit.

I have the 2004 Esteem Di and highway cruising at upto 120km/hr is rather manageable but going beyond that is stretching it. The car is quite comfortable at 100km/hr with the engine at 3,000rpm and if you are at 160km/hr, you are red-lining it and you feel the need for a sixth gear.

The car lives up to Maruti's reputation of producing fuel-sipping cars and its a pity that the Maruti Esteem is no longer in production.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks