Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 21:01   #46
BHPian

I am kicking myself to have missed this thread. Just read all three pages and I agree with every point good , bad and ugly about the Esteem.

I bought my Midnight Black 2005 model VXi in 2010 with 38k on the odo. It's now 300 kms away from 50,000. Love her to bits. My first car. Nothing has ever been changed on the car, I have the complete service history. However, I feel it needs a clutch adjustment in it's coming service.
Old 12th October 2011, 23:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

One of my friend's esteem makes a hissing noise (may be neat throttle body) from engine just after starting. Increasing the throttle/RPM (at idle) the noise increases.
It remains audible till the engine is warmed up. Then it disappears completely.
It has covered only 50000 KMs. Any Ideas?
Old 12th October 2011, 23:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
One of my friend's esteem makes a hissing noise (may be neat throttle body) from engine just after starting. Increasing the throttle/RPM (at idle) the noise increases.
It remains audible till the engine is warmed up. Then it disappears completely.
It has covered only 50000 KMs. Any Ideas?

Check the pulleys, idling pulley or AC pulley could be the culprit

Pramod
Old 12th October 2011, 23:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Check the pulleys, idling pulley or AC pulley could be the culprit

Pramod
Then why will the sound die after 2-3 minutes.
Old 12th October 2011, 23:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Then why will the sound die after 2-3 minutes.
Oh i see the engine has gone kaput, go for a rebuild. Dude you asked for help and i suggested the 2 possibilities, if you wanna get it fixed try it else just ignore my post. Do you really want an answer as to why there is no sound after 2-3 minutes? that is why i asked you to check the "idling" pulley and also the AC pulley.

Pramod
Old 12th October 2011, 23:46   #51
BHPian

Drive a '97 Esteem LX, which my dad bought in 2001. Have clocked 1.2 lacs km till date. I learned to drive in this car. Been through good and bad times with it. It has been a perfect family car, as well as a car to play around with.

The main issues faced :-
AC - a well known weakness of old models, changed the compressor last year.
Clutch - overhauled thrice (or maybe four times).
Rust - had to change the silencer as the joint had rusted completely.

Upgrades done :-
Tires - Michelin XM1+ 175/70 R13 (extremely good upgrade)
Bulbs - P8 HID 6000K (a big mistake on stock reflectors)
Horn - Roots Windtone (now the guys give way )

Cheers!!

EDIT: One issue I'm not able to understand - a load clattering noise comes from the engine when cold started. What could be the problem?

Last edited by manjot1912 : 12th October 2011 at 23:50.
Old 13th October 2011, 00:45   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
clattering noise comes from the engine when cold started. What could be the problem?
This is characteristic of the all aluminium G series 8 valve engine of the old Esteem
Old 13th October 2011, 00:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
This is characteristic of the all aluminium G series 8 valve engine of the old Esteem

Ok, but this started to happen from last year and has continued till now. The sound lasts for 3-4 seconds, and then it becomes normal. The local mechanics here are clueless about it. Really hope it is normal, because it does draw one's attention towards it as if something is definitely wrong.

And thanks for the info.

Last edited by manjot1912 : 13th October 2011 at 00:54.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, but this started to happen from last year and has continued till now. The sound lasts for 3-4 seconds, and then it becomes normal. The local mechanics here are clueless about it. Really hope it is normal, because it does draw one's attention towards it as if something is definitely wrong.

And thanks for the info.
Your valve tapats might have too much clearance, hence it chatters. One the engine is warmed up the tapats expand and the sound goes away. Get is adjusted in a mass who has a gouge for such adjustments and force them if they are reluctant.

@oxyzen it is same for you it seems, although there is no thing as idling pully, the waterpump Or ac pulleys Or both might have become loose when cold and becomes tight when hot by expansion. You need to tighter the belts and check for sound again.

Last edited by knob : 13th October 2011 at 01:24.
knob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 01:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, but this started to happen from last year and has continued till now. The sound lasts for 3-4 seconds, and then it becomes normal.
The tappets may need adjustment.. When you start the car, the engine oil takes few seconds to get rotated, when the oil reaches tappets, the noise goes off.. this can be tappet noise..or the oil lifter, if at all its hydraulic in esteem.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 02:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob View Post
although there is no thing as idling pully.

My dear friend from kollam jilla, google for idler pulley and you would be surprised, i had a Maruti esteem for almost 10 years, and i know a thing or 2 about their mechanicals.

Pramod
Old 13th October 2011, 10:01   #57
BHPian

Quote:
although there is no thing as idling pully
There is an idler pulley and it has a roller bearing #6301 , this bearing gets squeaky and makes noise in older cars!
techn0l0gist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 10:08   #58
BHPian

I have a 98 model esteem that clocked exactly 78k kms yesterday. The engine is butter smooth, to say the least and i must mention that its been running on headers and a K&N filter from 30k on the odo. Apart from body rattles the car is still a wonderful drive. I suggest you keep your car for another couple of years.
By the way am selling off my car and planning to go in for a second hand honda city. Any clue about the engine life of a city?
Old 13th October 2011, 11:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
There is an idler pulley and it has a roller bearing #6301 , this bearing gets squeaky and makes noise in older cars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
My dear friend from kollam jilla, google for idler pulley and you would be surprised, i had a Maruti esteem for almost 10 years, and i know a thing or 2 about their mechanicals.

Pramod
Hi I was of thinking that tensioer and idling pulleys are 2 diferent items. Yes there is idling pully, but still op saying noise goes away when warm. That could be loose belts no? That is my point. If not it can be diagnosed to bearings or any of the pulleys and perhaps the water pump.

Even I have 1000 and has been in same situation and it was diagnosed to the loose belts.

@technologist is that a part manual no. of the esteem idler?
Old 13th October 2011, 14:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Your valve tapats might have too much clearance, hence it chatters. One the engine is warmed up the tapats expand and the sound goes away. Get is adjusted in a mass who has a gouge for such adjustments and force them if they are reluctant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The tappets may need adjustment.. When you start the car, the engine oil takes few seconds to get rotated, when the oil reaches tappets, the noise goes off.. this can be tappet noise..or the oil lifter, if at all its hydraulic in esteem.

Thanks a lot guys.

Now that I know what the problem is, it will be easier to guide the mechanics to solve the issue. The mechanics are always looking at opportunities to hit the customers with huge bills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks