Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 13:16   #1

Maruti Esteem Longevity

Hi Guys,
I own a Maruti Esteem 97 model which has run 79K kms. How much more this vehicle can run ? I'm planning to go for a new vehicle after 2-3 yrs if i can use esteem for that period otherwise i'll have to push myself for a new vehicle.

Currently the engine sounds good but the body rattles quite a bit.I have got the following changed recently
1) Front Lower suspension arms
2) Bearing for all the wheels

Any ideas/suggestions ??????
Old 20th August 2008, 16:40   #2
BHPian

My Esteem lasted me around 13 yrs - the engine was fine ,except rusting on the body which compelled me to get rid of it .
Old 20th August 2008, 18:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoisme View Post
Hi Guys,
I own a Maruti Esteem 97 model which has run 79K kms. How much more this vehicle can run ? I'm planning to go for a new vehicle after 2-3 yrs if i can use esteem for that period otherwise i'll have to push myself for a new vehicle.

Currently the engine sounds good but the body rattles quite a bit.I have got the following changed recently
1) Front Lower suspension arms
2) Bearing for all the wheels

Any ideas/suggestions ??????
Though it totally depends on how a car is kept by it's owner, on a general note, the Esteem can easily do 2-3 yrs more, body rattels is quite common in Maruti's, but the engine life is quite strong.

I suggest keep it for 2-3 yrs more, casue in any case, you are not going to get much for it now, and it can take care of your commuting.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

I got a 96 model and plan to keep it for some more time. Changed the tires and will be changing the strut kit for this car. Can still beat the odd ikon nowadays
Old 20th August 2008, 23:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Esteem's best part is the powertrain. It can generally last for about 1.25-1.5 lakh kilometers. Here if regular maintainence is done, then expect trouble free service for the time period you have mentioned. I have personally driven a 1.5 lakh km. done esteem and the engine was not problematic neither was any other mechanical component.

The Esteem is prone to rattles and body problems. But they wont make you panic and the car will remain reliable. Regarding the bent rims and bearing, it is nothing but normal wear and tear. The rims of almost all maruti cars are prone to bending, so again, a little bit of work will be enough. Here at this point the Suspnesion may demand some attention, but it wont be troublesome or leading to bigger problems.

I believe that you can expect reliable service from this car for the 2-3 years you intend to keep the car.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:17   #6
BHPian

My cousins' esteem lasted for 1.6L kms before it asked for a major replacement(clutch). It served him well for 12 years and now it has been sold off. Interestingly, it it functioning very well even now as the car remains in the same colony as he resides and the buyer is known to my cousin.
Old 21st August 2008, 00:42   #7
BHPian

My 1996 lx with 120000 km on the clock still drives like a gem.(original clutch).The only thing i have changed is the suspension,i am running her on konis.Ask the Bhpians as they have seen the car wen i took her for the monsoon drive and it made a verna CRDI beg for mercy.
Old 21st August 2008, 00:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Esteem's best part is the powertrain. It can generally last for about 1.25-1.5 lakh kilometers. Here if regular maintainence is done, then expect trouble free service for the time period you have mentioned. I have personally driven a 1.5 lakh km. done esteem and the engine was not problematic neither was any other mechanical component.

The Esteem is prone to rattles and body problems
Precise info,agoswami.

Esteem's body and build age quite fast. If you can bare the rattles and squeaks, you can keep it.
PS: I just picked a 6 year old mpfi esteem.
Old 21st August 2008, 01:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for CaliforniaKnight's Esteem! Not only was she flying but also she was driven very well too, which the modest owner might not want to mention from his own mouth!!
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2008, 03:12   #10
BHPian

I hav a 96 Esteem VX, using it from past 2 Yrs. Its a Trouble free machine. Engine is very smooth, I use Castrol Edge 5W-40 Engine Oil and do the Oil service for every 8000 kms. It depends how we maintain our car with regular service and replace faulty spares with MGP.
After i bought the car I installed new Front glass, Battery, Lubricated the Shocks & new Seat Covers.
Now recently installed new Clutch Plates, Changed the Left & right Drive Shaft and after the changes the car is running more smoother. Believe or not 3rd Gear does 135Kmph and Top speed is 170Kmph. Fuel effieciency 13-14 with AC in City conditions (Normal ride), 15-16 with AC in Highway.
Iam pretty happy maintain my car ..

Esteem Lover
Old 21st August 2008, 06:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem undoubtedly is a great car known for its reliability, thanks to its stupendous engine (and tall gearing too !). Rattling is a common problem, but that extra bit of care, if taken goes a long way in keep it at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
PS: I just picked a 6 year old mpfi esteem.
@Nitrous: Another one? So soon? I never knew you have such a strong addiction for Esteems !
Old 21st August 2008, 09:55   #12
BHPian

nothing cheaper to maintain than an Esteem. Do all the required work now, so that you have three years of trouble-free use. The engine is bullet-proof. Keep the bolts tightened and attend to every rattle.
Old 21st August 2008, 10:32   #13

Thanx a lot guys for all the replies. It did surely help me making up my mind for using it for next couple of years.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:13   #14
BHPian

I sold my 95 esteem which had done 1.7 lakh km, two months ago for the sole reason that the body was literally collapsing.The engine & the gearbox outlive the body.In the 13 year span,I had to do the body works twice & suspension once.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

My esteem is nearing 10 years & 80K Kms & still drives like a dream. Regular maintenance will make your car live longer. Like everyone has said, the rattles are part of the package. Some of it can be eliminated. Some cant. Just ignore & revv. Maybe you can install headers & FFE to drown the rattles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks