Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 17:27   #1
BANNED

Is it possible to tamper digital odometer ?

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in this thread. Thanks

Now a days vehicles come with digital odometer, for e.g : Swift, Swift has Digital Odo, is it possible to play with odo? Like reducing count ?

TIA
Jitendra

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2013 at 13:15. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Old 20th August 2008, 17:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It can be done by the manufacturer.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

It is possible to disconnect it and drive it around without addition to the reading. Also read this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-tampered.html
Old 20th August 2008, 17:37   #4
BANNED

Quote:
It is possible to disconnect it and drive it around without addition to the reading. Also read this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-tampered.html
Ok, that means one can drive w/o addition of reading, but can one reduce the count of ODO ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th August 2008 at 17:52. Reason: added Quotes
Old 20th August 2008, 17:38   #5
BANNED

Hi,

Yes its a very simple procedure done bu guys who repair meters. Have seen it being done in my presence and no one can make out unless and until the pcb is opened. The difference will be there in the soldering.

What they do is replace the chip that stores the odo reading by another one with the reading desired. This is done by writing a blank chip hooked up to a chip burner and a laptop. They charge about 1500 in Mumbai and takes approx 25-30 mins.

Viper
viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2008, 17:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is possible. How do you think the Demo cars have such a low kms in their odo?
Old 20th August 2008, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its 100% possible. You can even set it to you favorite number
I have heard that even showroom guys do this with the meter repair guys. So, this is not at all a big deal.
It basically electronic circuits which icrements on some clock or pulse. So, the reverse is also possible.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Yes its a very simple procedure done bu guys who repair meters. Have seen it being done in my presence and no one can make out unless and until the pcb is opened. The difference will be there in the soldering.

What they do is replace the chip that stores the odo reading by another one with the reading desired. This is done by writing a blank chip hooked up to a chip burner and a laptop. They charge about 1500 in Mumbai and takes approx 25-30 mins.

Viper
Perfectly illustrated,jigs.
With some exotic german cars, even the ECU needs to be "clocked"
Old 20th August 2008, 19:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Same here in Kerala. 1500-2000Rs.

This is why I doubt second hand diesel cars. For eg, Skoda with odo below 80k gets good market value and hence gets their odo fixed. So with other cars.

Last edited by jkdas : 20th August 2008 at 19:56.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:20   #10
nitin.dangayach

Didn't know about the METER READING REVERSAL thing but I drove from punjab to gurgaon, with the meter cable disconnected. My odo still shows the count of some odd 70 kms. LOL, even after driving 400 km.

I have now connected the meter cable and things are fine now. But I was surprised how easy it is, to fool around with simply pulling out a cable connecter.

Never expected that thing to be that easy, at least in the newer DIGITISED ODOs but "darling, ye hai India !"

Old 20th August 2008, 20:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Viper
I saw a meter repair mechanic doing it in an alto 3-4 years back without laptop,there are some preset chips they just touch the wires and its done,he charged just a fraction of what you have mentioned here.
Old 21st August 2008, 09:46   #12
BHPian

YES.

I went to a speedometer repair shop to get my Palio odometer repaired, and was really surprised to see how much business this guy gets. There was a constant stream of taxis, company cars, etc. Brand new Indica taxis were making their first stop at the speedo shop to get the odometer 'fixed'.

I talked to the technician, and he told me that about a 10% higher than normal odometer reading was normal. A very new looking Toyota Corolla stopped by to get the odometer reading increased by 200 km. I asked the speedo guy why, and he told me that the Corolla driver gets paid for fuel on a per kilometer basis, so he regularly stops by.

This speedometer shop can move an odometer back, forward, change the calibration, even add an electronic box that the driver uses to turn the odometer back or forward. And this can be done for just about any car.
Old 21st August 2008, 10:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

It is an eye-opener for many of us. Unfortunately, actual low mileage cars would also be looked upon with suspicion.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2008, 11:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I know a person who just sold a Honda Accord with tampered odo.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:13   #15
BHPian

Alright now this is tried and tested method on a Swift LXI.
Issue : The ODO reading jumps back (18000 Km – 16000 Km)
How : My Driver simply removes some Fuse from under the steering console connects in back at the same place after a while, and wallah .
Maths : Once you remove this Fuse the counter kind of starts working in reverse. ( Mind you the car is not moving, neither the engine is running) The Longer you keep the fuse out, more the count drops.
First Encounter : While fitting the audio system in the car, the mechanic by mistake touched some wire, resulting in a short circuit in a Fuse. He then replaced the Fuse, On replacing the fuse it was noticed that the ODO reading was showing a fault reading.
sinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed