Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 00:57   #76
BHPian

I am sorry, I don't know anything about Mumbai/bangalore. If anybody need to do it in Chennai, I can refer my friend.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

I looked a something like a flying jet in the clear sky few days back towards chennai side and it looked like a safari, just kiddin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
After de-carb my SAFARI runs like a jet- you people dont believe my words, leave it!!!
Yes, the detergent based additives do help is less carbon deposits and using them can keep the fuel/ exhaust lines cleaner Vs not using them.

I was surprised to find that in US, EPA also requires that gasoline contain a certified detergent in order to reduce emissions, although the oil companies use the minimum possible mix required as per regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Great friend!!

Unfortunately I do not know a reliable shop in bangalore for the same. Additives until then.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
But personally I would say, please dont waste your money on these Additives (yes, I am an Additive lover and still have stock for 1 year!!!), nothing will work for the money you paid.
Perhaps a few days ago, I would've disagreed vehemently with this opinion, sadly I've come to the realization that it's indeed true.

Quote:
None of the Authorized service stations will do this for you. They just pour BG/Bardhal in the fuel system and charge you a Bomb.
Yes, BG or Bardhal is the standard treatment. Throttle-body cleaning, engine de-carbonizing, cooling-system cleaning - all they use is an additive of some kind (the BG treatment costs Rs.1,600 !).

Quote:
But for all OWS Fans, Can you please show me a proof/photo that it cleaned your carbons?
Well, my car's around 7 years old & has run 62,000 Kms. It sees a lot of pampering - regular servicing every 6 months, & "Maruti recommended" treatments (de-carbonizing, throttle-body cleaning, coolant-flush) every year (~ every 9,000 Kms). Since Speed, Speed93, Speed97, & System-G (IfTex) were made available I've never used anything else (except on 2 occasions in the past 6 years). I've been using Mobil-1 from the very first oil change & for the past year I've been using OWS MultiSynth engine oil (all oil changes involved an engine flush).

A few days back I had to open the engine up for a cam install & this is what I saw

A Comparison of (Fuel/Oil/Engine) Additives-carboneverywhere.jpg

Needless to say, I was pretty miffed with these so called "recommended" fuels, additives, & treatments !

Quote:
Can anybody here please open your engine or even sump or even fuel injector after a Flush?
Yes, I'd also recommend anybody who's done 50,000 Kms to actually open up the engine & check. I guess an Italian tune-up is in order every month !

The worst part of it was, the supervisor at the Maruti Service Center was of the opinion that the carbon shouldn't been cleaned ! He had some theory that it blocked the pores !?!

Last edited by im_srini : 9th October 2008 at 11:05.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:26   #79
BHPian

The worst part of it was, the supervisor at the Maruti Service Center was of the opinion that the carbon shouldn't been cleaned ! He had some theory that it blocked the pores !?! [/quote]

He is somewhat right but not really applicable in your case. It can be applicable only in cases of engines with huge carbon deposits( usually see in diesel engines) and that have covered more than 200,000 kms. More details are available in other threads.
Old 9th October 2008, 12:07   #80
BHPian

Quote:
that the carbon shouldn't been cleaned
Its a wrong statement, it may help to increase the compression ratio in the cylinder. But if there is an air leak in the valves due to this carbons, its very dangerous o the engine. So I highly recommend carbon cleaning in the valves, camshaft, injectors, sump, pump, strainer & crankshaft.

If you have a very old high mileage car, you can even surface the Head a little more, but its not better to keep the carbon in the cylinder.
Old 9th October 2008, 12:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hey, have you tried system D with your Safari? Any opinion on that ?
Old 9th October 2008, 13:01   #82
BHPian

Yes, I have used System D before using MP6TY, then I changed to F2-21. F2-21 is better than MP6TY which is even better than System D. They are not harmful to your engine, but they don't do any real good to the engine.

If you have some money in your pocket, please don't keep it in the purse, buy one bottle of System D (around 250, I think) to save the Country.
Old 9th October 2008, 22:48   #83
Team-BHP Support

If you do long hauls you can avoid this carbon build to a great extend, city runs will result in more carbon build.

@srini: Hows your engine compression before dismantling the engine and was there any oil consumption? Asking coz of wet piston top.
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:32   #84
BHPian

Quote:
city runs will result in more carbon build.
I agree, thats why I try to run my vehicle at high speed always(???)
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

Jennifer ji,

Could you kindly quantify better. I have a 2k km done VDi with a unopened bottle of System D. Should I use or not? Am inclined to do so post 5000km.

PS: When would someone recommend the Italian TuneUp? Italian Tuneup?? - ShopForum seems logical and interesting.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd November 2008 at 07:41.
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

Italian tune up has been recommended in this forum. try searching for it and you will find it.
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:06   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Should I use or not? Am inclined to do so post 5000km.
You can use it with normal Diesel as it wont harm your Engine.

Quote:
When would someone recommend the Italian TuneUp?
Dont do this till 5000k or till your valves are seated perfectly. But Rev. the engine is good for Catalytic converter.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jennifer ji,

Could you kindly quantify better. I have a 2k km done VDi with a unopened bottle of System D. Should I use or not? Am inclined to do so post 5000km.

PS: When would someone recommend the Italian TuneUp? Italian Tuneup?? - ShopForum seems logical and interesting.
Quote:
You can use it with normal Diesel as it wont harm your Engine.

Dont do this till 5000k or till your valves are seated perfectly. But Rev. the engine is good for Catalytic converter.
You can follow one of the paths as above. Italian tune up do stress the parts so first try the additives way. But your running is not that much now so after using System D you can Decarbon using BG248 at 15k intervals in lieu of the Italian tuneup.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:47   #89
BHPian

Yes, I too don't recommend "Italian Tuneup" for old cars unless you know the condition of your gasket, Valves, Seals and Piston rings. Better try a Manual Decarb.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Snake oil

Additives? Usually just so much "snake oil". You can actually damage your engine with the wrong additives. Most do nothing at all.

Note: Slick 50 and other ail additives

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th November 2008 at 21:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks