Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 23:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

SX4 : Throttle Body Adjustment on drive by wire

I was going through the SX4Club.com forum and came upon this piece of information. I tried out on my SX4 and surprisingly, it worked!!!! cheers:
I can see a considerably change in the throttle response. Can anyone having drive by wire try this?

Quote:
Throttle Body Adjustment. They say this works on all drive by wire vehicles and resets parameters WITHOUT Having to disconnect battery!

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.

If this doesn't work, disconnect your neg. battery cable for 20 minutes. This will re-set the parameters in the drive-by-wire... Unfortunately it will delete your pre-set radio stations, clock etc. as well...
The actual discussion is Here

Last edited by iTNerd : 25th August 2008 at 23:03.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2008, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

err, the change in throttle response means you are getting more torque at a particular rpm band?

and that change is actually an increase?

if that is so - then my friend you are actually burning more fuel.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised, does SX4 in india come with Drive-by-wire technology. I thought it was mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I was going through the SX4Club.com forum and came upon this piece of information. I tried out on my SX4 and surprisingly, it worked!!!! cheers:
I can see a considerably change in the throttle response. Can anyone having drive by wire try this?

The actual discussion is Here
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2008, 00:37   #4
BHPian

I think its mechanical too. Could someone confirm?
Old 27th August 2008, 02:04   #5

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I dont know how it would work but surely will give it a try today.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

very interesting. but will not do with my SX4 , unless I am 100% sure

and I think it is drive-by-wire
Old 27th August 2008, 19:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

What you have described is an ECU-reset procedure for certain cars. (Maybe it is becoming a standard?) Also, i dont know if drive by wire is required, it could just work off the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)?

I have tried it on an E55 AMG and it definitely worked.

For more info on ECU resetting please see:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...resetting.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...u-ecm-ems.html

cya
R
Old 27th August 2008, 20:03   #8
BHPian

The SX4 in India for sure comes with drive by wire technology.iTNERD by improving the throttle response do you mean the car would be better to drive.If so I am going to do it right away.Everyone is fed up at home with the car getting stalled in stop-go driving conditions.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised, does SX4 in india come with Drive-by-wire technology. I thought it was mechanical
Quote:
I think its mechanical too. Could someone confirm?
Yes. I am confirming it to ya!

Quote:
The SX4 in India for sure comes with drive by wire technology.iTNERD by improving the throttle response do you mean the car would be better to drive.If so I am going to do it right away.Everyone is fed up at home with the car getting stalled in stop-go driving conditions.
If it is stalling, probably it might be due to defective driver shafts. You should consult your service guys to possibly change the shafts.

Quote:
err, the change in throttle response means you are getting more torque at a particular rpm band?

and that change is actually an increase?

if that is so - then my friend you are actually burning more fuel.
I am not saying that. what I am saying is there is a change in the throttle response by resetting it in the ECU, that is, a different set of throttle response can be generated based on the driving habit. from my understanding most cars with drive-by-wire throttle designed recently perform a self check and get feedback about throttle position to stay accurately and pass it onto the ECU. BTW, I am not too sure how I am arriving to this, but after the reset, my mileage seems to gotten better.. (had full tank filled, in second tick from top, the KMs read at 132 (~13.2 kmpl). It used to be around 110 (~11 kmpl) reading before). I can only confirm it after my next full tank refill!

PS. People in SX4club.com (from where the tip came from) also reported improvement in their mileage in their cars by resetting the throttle.

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th August 2008 at 21:38.
Old 28th August 2008, 13:18   #10
BHPian

If it is so easy to do the settings then why this is not told to the owners at the time of purchase or mentioned in manual or this needs to be kept secret.
Old 28th August 2008, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

A very interesting read about electronic throttle (drive by wire) and how to boost throttle response is here in PDF format
Old 29th August 2008, 04:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan; I'm guessing that this type of ECU resetting is different, primarily because ECU's working with mechanical throttles have fixed AFR mappings/lookup tables with respect to a single sensor - TPS, whereas drive-by-wire ECU's should have variable lookup tables with 2 inputs; one for the TB position from the TPS, and one from the accelerator pedal potentiometer.

What is interesting though, is that this type of simple reset is claimed to achieve such drastic results in F.E.... Of course, you are feeding less fuel to the engine, and this might affect your throttle response negatively, and are not actually increasing the throttle response (wherein you are feeding in more fuel at a leaner pedal angle).

So technically, this method should decrease throttle response, not increase it....
Old 17th November 2009, 01:43   #13
BHPian

Can we do Throttle Body Adjustment in SX4 (2009) with CNG?
Will that also require the setting of the CNG to be resetted by the MSS?
Old 19th July 2010, 15:40   #14
joel.chandra

Hi Folks. I replaced my batter yesterday and had terrible time since the guy who did this did not know about the Drive by Wire. Now my RPM at idle is 500 which sometimes is stalling the vehicle. I am going to reset this immediately and will share my experience again.

Old 19th July 2010, 21:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.chandra View Post
Hi Folks. I replaced my batter yesterday and had terrible time since the guy who did this did not know about the Drive by Wire. Now my RPM at idle is 500 which sometimes is stalling the vehicle. I am going to reset this immediately and will share my experience again.

Absolutely true. happenned to my SX4 too. it seems when you disconnect the batterry for more than a few couple of minutes, throttle body is reset & that would essentially cause stalling problems.

I belive it's a common problem with SX4. Why was the batterry disconnected ? it's fairly a couple of minutes job to reset it to what it was before...nothing to worry about!
avigster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed