Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Weird temperature problem

I have been facing a weird problem with my Indica Turbo DLX, a few days back, when I started the car after having parked it for 10-15 minutes, after about 100 metres or so, the engine temp started to rise alarmingly and by the time I had moved to the side of the highway and parked, even though the temp gauge was halfway between the normal operating temp and the red portion of the gauge, the fan was not running. Last night, before parking the car for the night, I noticed the same problem. The temperature was somewhat elevated from normal.

The twist is that the car has not exhibited this problem while running, the temp remains at optimal even when pushing it at 120+ with the AC on or climbing steep slopes in 3rd gear.

Is it possible that something might have gone wrong with the fan?
Old 26th August 2008, 16:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

If fan is not coming on the fuse or relay may have gone bad. Get it checked.
At high speeds the wind speed cools the radiator, so even if fan does not come on, the car may not overheat.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
I have been facing a weird problem with my Indica Turbo DLX, a few days back, when I started the car after having parked it for 10-15 minutes, after about 100 metres or so, the engine temp started to rise alarmingly and by the time I had moved to the side of the highway and parked, even though the temp gauge was halfway between the normal operating temp and the red portion of the gauge, the fan was not running. Last night, before parking the car for the night, I noticed the same problem. The temperature was somewhat elevated from normal.]

The twist is that the car has not exhibited this problem while running, the temp remains at optimal even when pushing it at 120+ with the AC on or climbing steep slopes in 3rd gear.

Is it possible that something might have gone wrong with the fan?

If the fan is operating at times then you probably have a lose radiator fan relay. Get that checked. I have faced the same problem in my Indica as well once. If the fan is never operating, you might also need to get the fan motor checked (though I believe they replace the fan and motor as an assembly).
Old 26th August 2008, 21:32   #4
BHPian

Even when I am idling after a long drive or at signals the temp is not rising, it has just been those two incidents. I am taking the car to the TASC on saturday, let's see what the problem is.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check the wiring these are common problems with indica. Does the fan come on when you idle after long drive [when the engine is hot and the car stops moving], if yes than there meter wiring has a short and/or the thermostat has to be checked.If not than the fan relay is the problem [get it changed] along with the AC relay as all these are on one circuit and any one faulty relay causes problem to the other.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks