Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Low mileage/Fuel leak

I got a Fiat Palio 1.2El, couple of months back(2003 model,70k on odo) . It has an lpg kit in it. I never used lpg. I emptied the tank within the first few days and have been on petrol ever since.
I am just not comfortable with the gas cylinder behind me and getting in a que with autorickshaws at the fuel bunks.

I have done about 2000km on it till date.
Initially I was getting a ~8kmpl in bangalore traffic with AC on 30% of the time(economic driving,no clutch riding,good air pressure all the time and limited reving) I wasn't really bothered, even though I knew that I was getting lower than what I should.
On reving, it gives me just about 7kmpl(all measured from Tank full to tank full)
I have noticed some fuel leakage on getting the tank full. Not just spill, but noticable leakage under the car. At times, I can even smell petrol.
I am not very bothered about the mileage, but I like to keep my car in good condition.
My questions are:
(1)I remember someone mentioning that mileage on petrol goes down once one switches back to petrol. How do I revert that?
(2)What can be other possible reasons apart from fuel leakage?
(3)I'll be taking my car to a garage this weekend. What all should I get checked?

Help would be appreciated
Old 26th August 2008, 21:03   #2
BHPian

I think you aren't panicking enough. Fuel leakage is no joke in any amounts. Apart from it being expensive it can blow you and your car to bits. So hurry up and get that fixed.

I was considering shifting to LPG on my old M1000 but even then I haven't come across people telling me about drop in petrol mileage when I shift back. They did mention a lack of performance as a possibility though.

I think you can try getting your injectors cleaned because LPG apparently has bad effects on them. Air filter, Oil filter and Engine oil may also have to be replaced depending on your last service.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

USe the LPG - It is more econmomical than petrol and more environment friendly!
Old 26th August 2008, 21:11   #4
BHPian

@flipsyde: The big reason I want to get it checked is safety indeed. Can you suggest any quick diagnostics which might suggest fuel leakage?
Old 26th August 2008, 21:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most fuel tanks have overflow tubes, which redirect excess fuel (when tank goes full) back to tank. Check this tube, may be ruptured, hence the fuel leak (since you mentioned that leak occurs only when tank is full).
Old 26th August 2008, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have experienced fuel leak on day1 itself while buying used Matiz. I have even shown it to him. First owner had used LPG few years back. This is is what I can say:

1. Take your car to service centre and have them check in front of you fuel return (this is the pipe from which air will come out while filling the fuel) pipe and fuel Tank completely.

2. Check fuel filling pipe for leakage.

3. Check the place where Fuel Tank and Fuel pumping assembly. I mean this is the place most probably on top of your Fuel tank under or around your back seat where fuel sucking parts are connected to Fuel Tank. During last service, guys would have not fixed this properly and it might be loose. Check for any rust or seal broken around Fuel tank which conects to fuel gauge etc..

About your FE its common after using LPG FE would come down with Petrol unless its again tuned for Petrol use. This involves 1 day effort like servicing all parts of Fuel related stuffs, Engine as well. With LPG, engine will overheat also lot of carbon etc.. deposit inside engine and most of the people who use LPG are not bothered about keeping their car at best!

Old Palio like 70k ODO would give 8kmpl in Bangalore traffic, It all mainly depends on how best car is maintained.

I can see once Matiz has joined me within 6 months it started performing better.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 26th August 2008 at 21:19.
Old 6th September 2008, 20:01   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the help so far.
My next door mechanic couldn't find a leak. I'd be taking my car to the service station and getting the leak fixed on monday
That being said, he did tell me that the silencer cover gasket has broken/needs to be replaced.
Does anybody know what this means? This guy did tell me that this can cause lower mileage.
Old 6th September 2008, 20:07   #8
BHPian

P.S. I got the gas kit out of my car. And my mileage increased by ~0.4, no kidding. I was always clocking 7.8-7.9(at least 6-7 times) and the last time I filled up I clocked 8.3.
Is that just the weight of the kit or is there something else to it as well?
Old 24th October 2008, 16:27   #9
BHPian

Just to update the status of the car:
Got the fuel leakage fixed. Apparently there is a sleeve which prevents overflow, that needed a replacement. No leakage anymore. Also, got the silencer packing fixed. All at Green Tracks. Best and awesome Fiat service center in Bangalore. Car is giving a mileage of 10+ in city, with AC all the time
Old 24th October 2008, 17:52   #10
BANNED

I think with no more leaks, there is more fuel to be fed into the engine than onto roads.
Old 29th January 2010, 17:18   #11
BHPian

Recently I have had similar kind of an issue of fuel getting spilled after a full tank done.
It was some 2 weeks back when i was in my native and had my Indica for a normal diesel tank full at shell. suddenly after the auto cut off i observed a sudden surge of diesel spilling below the region of the fuel lid, i was taken aback and examined, after 3 5 seconds the leak stopped and it was normal. but i could smell diesel in side my car for a long time atleast a good 30 - 40 km drive after that. since that episode i have not done a full tank.
Next Action -- I will get it check at prerana peenya service on my next service due another 4K KM or so. Please advise should i ignore this or get it done immediately?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks