Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 16:22   #1
BANNED

help:about carb slide

hi friends my m800 was giving low fe so went to mechanic . he told me that carb slide has cracked . i need to change it. i want to ask whether it is true .how much does the slide cost . what is work of slide
Old 29th August 2008, 21:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
... that carb slide has cracked
C'mon Harry, if it has cracked, you should be able to SEE it!
And if it is true, something HAS to be done, right?
Old 29th August 2008, 23:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
hi friends my m800 was giving low fe so went to mechanic . he told me that carb slide has cracked . i need to change it. i want to ask whether it is true .how much does the slide cost . what is work of slide
Probable, but highly unlikely.

A carburettor works on the venturi principle. Slide is the device which controls the venturi dia. I suggest reading up on HowStuffWorks "How does a carburetor work?", lest I confuse you.

Basically, it is cylinder with a cutaway which regulates fuel going into you engine. If cracked, it can upset the working of the carburettor(making the mixture lean, would be my guess) and cause some side effects. I am not sure about the low FE, but if your mechanic is trustworthy, then maybe he is not trying to pull a fast one on you.

Slide should not cost too much, especially for an M800. Changing it should be less than half-hour job.

edit : - I realise that the link I provided does not show the working of a slide type carburettor. You could refer to the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-rd-350-a.html to see the innards of a carb. Part 20 is the slide. Should be fairly similar in the Maruti.

If the Maruti carb is a butterfly valve type, maybe he means the butterfly is cracked? Can someone comment on this?

Last edited by kuttapan : 29th August 2008 at 23:26.
Old 29th August 2008, 23:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Harry, m800 carb doesn't have a slide. They have throttle butterfly. Is it that what is cracked? You can visually inspect it by taking off the air cleaner assembply and peeking down the venturi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks