Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 23:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Got Balancing done - Stuck with larger issues

This is what happened.

Got my Balancing and Allignment done and then left for Mumbai. Found my car vibrating at speeds above 120kmph.
On returning to Pune, I went back to the same service provider and told about the issue. He said he will re-do it for me. No Issues here.

Issues start when he starts removing the bolts on the Alloys (Palio 1.6).
Oneof the bolts is not coming out easily. Withsome effort it came out and it was found that the threading it gone on the bolt.
The staff there use guns to fix and un-fix the bolts/nuts. This issue can only arise when the bolt is not properly fitted before using the gun.
I dint say much there and hoped that the threading inside is intact.
The car is running only on 3 bolts.

I get the balancing done and leave for home. On reaching home, I just thought of checking whether the threading inside is still intact or no.
So I start removing another bolt from the same tyre and found it jammed and took quite some effort to unlock it.
This is where i loose my temper and take the car back to the same person. I told him that his guys again dint fix the bolt properly and the bolt is Jamm, and I fear that the threading is damaged for this one as well.
I was right. Two bolts on the same tyre now have damaged threading, and the damage is not limited to bolts but even the inner threading is damaged. Bolts can be replaced, but i wasn't sure of the innder threading.

He said he will get it fixed and we took the car for re threading the inside.
The guy there takes the threading tap and starts re-threading. I saw that the tap completely threaded the hole till the inside. He started to remove the tap by revolving in the opposite direction. Here the tap gets stuck. He applies some pressure and 'thak', the tap breaks, fully stuck inside. . This was the last thing i expected.

I was completely blank on what to do. I just asked him to re-thread the second one properly and leave it.

The car is again on 3 bolts. Took the car back to the shopowner and told the issue.
He has promised that he will get is fixed, but i am totally unsure how can this be fixed. The threading tap has stuck inside and there is no way of removing it.

Anyone on T-bhp has faced similar issues?
Anyone can guide me on how to get this fixed? Or is replacement the only solution?
How much would the replacement cost?

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th August 2008 at 23:04.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well. The issue is resolved. And the cost was borne by the Shop Owner.
First we went to a garage where the guy welded the stuck Threading tap atleast 4 times but all in vain.
Then I was taken to a different garage where the guy welded once and the Threading Tap easily came out.

I had no choice but to go to such workshops. I enquired with both FIAT dealers and workshops in Pune and the front Right side Nakal was no where in stock and would take atleast 15 days to arrive (to be imported from Italy is what i was told).

Next challenge was to fetch the bolts. They were not available anywhere. Something as small as a bolt was out of stock. Atlast the guy found it. It cost Rs.180/bolt. Expensive i should say.

Now the car is back to normal.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that the issue got resolved.

Had faced a similar issue when I went in for a tyre change. They used the gun and messed up on of the bolt. Had to take it to a Maruti Service center and get it weld cut out. Replaced the thread. From then on, when doing any tyre work, always insist on the guy first put the bolts with hand and then use their gun.
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:51   #4
BHPian

This issue could arise due to the Mechanics dont have the basic training about how to use a high pressure guns for screwing or unscrewing. You should always make sure that the bolt is screwed on to the bolt at least 3 turns with hand before using the gun. Its a very basic thing written in Big letters in every gun manual and people dont care about it. Thats how they spoil it.

When my cars wheel alignment was done the guy was doing the same. I stopped him and shown him how to fix a nut. He was really pissed off and was telling he was using the gun for 3 years. I told him that you should fix the nut in this way only on my car and I dont really care about what he was doing last 3 years. Finally he did it right for other nuts
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
This issue could arise due to the Mechanics dont have the basic training about how to use a high pressure guns for screwing or unscrewing. You should always make sure that the bolt is screwed on to the bolt at least 3 turns with hand before using the gun. Its a very basic thing written in Big letters in every gun manual and people dont care about it. Thats how they spoil it.
Problem is that most of the guys using the guns wither dont get to see the manual or they can read and understand whats written !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks