Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Modern Age Diesel Engine

As we all know the technology has changed a lot in this century and as our car engines too. Since childhood I have been hearing from my Dad not to buy Diesel Car due to its high cost of maintenance and sound, vibration etc etc. But things has changed a lot now after CRDI, CRDE and now 2.2 from M and T. I know there are many users in this forum might be looking for big family car and when they go out they might not get good reliable family car for more than 6 persons in petrol. So they have to turn their choice to diesel variant of SUV/MUV, but still they (like me), never used diesel engine due to some misconceptions about it.

So is it worth to spend huge 10+ amount in Diesel engine of some Indian makes like Scorpio and Safari. Ok I know answer will be BIG YES from all. But practically can we keep or use diesel cars as we do with petrol versions. Do we need to take care of diesel car more than petrol? in terms of After Sales Service etc.

Can we really use diesel engine for our family outing and drive once in a week if the my need arise not because my car needs it ?

Your Suggestions
Old 1st September 2008, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

As you rightly pointed out in the begining, the modern deisels are way more advanced than their cousins of yesteryears.

Now a days deisels are easy to maintain, are relatively low on noise, are VERY fuel efficient, DO NOT spew out black smoke, have tremendous torque which is addictive, cost a tad over the petrol siblings but cost of running (read fuel bill) is MUCH lower. So basically have a lot going for them !!

The first & most basic fundamental thing is change of engine oil at reccomended intervals or preferable to change it even before the reccomended mileage. Keep air filters clean. Regular service is THE MANTRA !!!

Hope that helps !!

Cheers
Old 1st September 2008, 19:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator's note: Thread closed. Please use the Search function to locate similar topics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed