Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:45   #1

Fabia Elegance 1.4 MPI Owners. Need Help!

I recently bought a Fabia 1.4 MPL about 10 days back (23rd August 2008)

I am aware of the callback that happened a couple of months back, I had already booked my car by then I called the dealership and they told me that my car would be part of the new lot which has this fuel issue pre-fixed.

When I picked up my car, (Autobahn, Prabhadevi Mumbai) the reps at the dealership explicitly instructed me to use regular unleaded petrol (which is at about Octane 87). After having fueling my car it started giving trouble in the next 2 days. The performance was hit big time, the pick up was really sluggish and the engine started knocking like crazy. Moreover, the brakes became hard at times. I sent the car back to the dealership and after week of investigation and back-n-forth, they rectified the problem and sent it back after flushing out the tank and using 93 octane fuel. They also changed some Oil Injection part. They have reported that the problem was due to low octane level in the fuel and I should use petrol with Octane level 93+. I checked in almost 5-6 fuel stations in Mumbai and there was absolutely no one who had fuel in upwards of 93 Octane. I filled in Bharat Petroleum's Speed which is at 91+. The wierd part is that this happens in spurts i.e. the car performs well at times but gets all cranky once in while.

Obviously, I am going to get in touch with dealership and ask them for an explanation and probably take some strict action but before I do that I wanted check with people who own the Fabia Elegance 1.4 MPL if they have faced similar issues. If 93+ fuel is all I can use, I don't think it makes sense to even bother keeping this car since the biggest petrol pumps don't have this grade, leave alone while travelling outstation.

Any information around this issue would be of great help.

Sunit
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its not that this car requires upwards of 93 petrol
Even skoda octavia vRs runs fine on normal petrol.
There seems to be some other issue with the car. Get it inspected at another dealership.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:19   #3

Thanks Abhinav,

I think its a silly excuse I too am suspicious that there's something else wrong with the car. Will take it up with them. Are you using the same car?
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:05   #4
BHPian

I think on CNBC AWAZ Overdrive or ZEE Wheelocity not sure,there they were showing problems from the Skoda stable one was of Tutu Dhawan's(the car expert) SKODA VRS which used to stop after running for some time.The other guy owning a Fabia had a similar problem as yours and till date they have not been able to rectify it.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is obviously an unresolved issue and I am sorry that you had to go through this experience with a brand new car. High-octane fuel can work out murderously expensive on a small car, especially one that's not too fuel-efficient nor powerful to begin with.

Take it up directly with Skoda India. Make it clear to them that you have paid premium money for a premium hatch, and they had better resolve the issues ASAP. Let us know the response you get.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:40   #6
BANNED

In addition to above advice, make sure you have retained the fuel bills - I suspect Skoda is going to blame it on adulterated fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks